“Organic, Authentic, Beautiful - Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cocoa Cottages

Cocoa Cottages
Ranked #1 of 20 Roseau B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Organic, Authentic, Beautiful - Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I came to Cocoa with no expectation. I thought to stay for three night but stayed for nine.
Words cannot describe the place, not even the many photos I took. \
"Life is a box of chocolate you never know what you are going to get" that was the sign at the entrance.
It is located not far from Roseau in the forest, All seems so natural and organic/ The rooms are nicely decorated, lots of colors mingle with so many shades of the forest green/.
The kitchen is the heart of Cocoa Cottage, from the smell of the delicious food Iris makes to the amazing conversations with the guests around the table. This is home away from home where you meet people from all over the world.
One can never feel alone here. Iris and all the beautiful ladies are always there for you. Every thing is done with passion. You really feel love in the place. The chocolate Iris makes is delicious, it is a must. If you have ever heard of heaven, I have been there. It is called Cocoa Cottage.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Agi F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

It was a great adventure to stay at Cocoa Cottages, the place is beautiful, we had the honeymoon suit and it was absolutely fantastic!!!!!
Iris the owner is such a great host,we had wonderful dinners and really interesting conversations.
Caitlin cooks very tasty breakfast' & that kako tea mmmmmmhhh!!!! We miss you guys, such lovely people, we had the greatest of times thanks to you and all the team at extreme dominica. Boiling lake hike was fantastic!!! And canyoning was worth every single penny. Beautiful island, great food, great people! Thanks Iris (for your hospitality) thanks Naji ( you are the best guide), thanks Richard & Liz (so much fun canyoning), Caitlin hugs from both of us.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MirenJosune
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a great place to stay in! We where very well taken care of by the staff and they help us with whatever we wanted and needed if it so was a trip to the boiling lake or a massage to help with the sore muscles after the walk. The place is beautiful in the middle of the jungle. The food is highly recommended and there is a great vibe over dinner since all dine at the same table and you meet people from all over the world. The music room is another good thing about the place.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Linnea F
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our trip to Dominica was planned entirely by my husband as a surprise for our anniversary. Not only was I completely surprised and thrilled that he did this for us, but when we drove up to the entrance of Cocoa Cottages I said "This is PERFECT!" And it was. From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and well attended. Our hosts Liz, Richard & Iris were warm and personable, as was their staff. Nestled in the jungle of the island we were immediately transported from our hectic life in a busy metropolis to the tranquility of Cocoa Cottages. We stayed in the honeymoon suite towards the back of the property, with its private balcony overlooking a small stream. Rustic, charming, cozy and private, the property felt like its own little oasis. The only sounds we heard were the chorus of birds in the daytime, and the frogs at night. For us it was idyllic. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bath adequate for our needs. I loved the locally made soap that was provided. Our meals were fresh and delicious. Everything was prepared from local, organically grown sources. The homemade jams served with fresh bread in the morning were yummy, as was the Cocoa tea. One day I was not feeling well, and the staff was especially kind in making sure I was cared for properly. It was great to meet such an interesting variety of guests from all over the world who were also staying there. The experience of time nestled in nature provided us with deep rest, tranquility, and a renewed sense of being present. Since our return home, we have transformed our meals to the healthful ones served at Cocoa Cottages and adjusted our fast, daily routines to include some of the peaceful habits we initiated during our stay. We look forward to returning….sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the ravine & stream towards back of property
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank julie D
Oosterhout, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Dominica and the Cocoa Cottage was the most beautiful vacation we had in years. We went to Dominica for our honeymoon, so at the cottage we had the honeymoonsuite for 5 days. It was perfect. We loved the feeling of being in the nature, of being one with the nature. Sleeping with the sound of the birds and other animals gave me a feeling of total relaxation.

Liz, Richard & Iris (and all the other people working @ Cocoa Cottage) were so helpfull, nice & kind. When we had some questions or problems they always tried to solve them for us immediately. Perfect!

The breakfast & dinner were fantastic. The food was so delicious! Everything is well-seasoned, fresh and so tasty! Loved the Kaku- & herbal-tea!

I have chosen Cocoa Cottage for this part of our honeymoon because of the "home"-feeling.
I found it wonderful that every morning at breakfast and everytime at dinner we were with all the guests at one big round table. Everybody had a conversation with everybody: English, French, Dutch, it didn't matter where the people came from.

From the first moment we felt super welcome. We have done a lot of the activities that Extreme Dominica offers: Turtle watching, Canyoning, Hike to Boilinglake. All organized bij Liz&Richard, they did a great job!!

I hope that the next guests also have this great feeling of warmth, welcome, home, nature en relaxation, when they end their trip.

Liz, Richard & Iris, thanks a lot, again, for making our honeymoon the best trip ever.
I know that we were one of the many guests you have had, but the Cocoa Cottage has a special place for us!

All the very best for all of you,

Mark & Rosanne (the newlyweds)

Room Tip: The honeymoonsuite is at the back of the cottage, with very nice view!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rosanne J
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed there during our stay in Dominica. Overall, we had positive stay and we would be ok going back there again but we would likely try somewhere else next time. It was pricey overall for what you get.

Location: is really nice. You are in the middle of the jungle. Having said that, I can confirm that you hear the traffic noise as another person mentionned previously here - maybe it was specific to our room as we were the closest to the road though. But i should say that the road did not have much traffic so it was not honestly an issue for us. Something much more annoying for us though is that there was a big dog in the area who barked every single night we were there. Not much the cottage owners can do about it, but it was really annoying and damaged the "jungle experience". My partner ended up putting earpluds at night while I chose to resist and not put them straight away but had to put them during the night every night as that dog barked all the time.

Rooms: are really great. I believe we had the cheapest room and it was really beautiful. We had the occasion to see another room and it was even better than ours.

Food- the breakfast was very good and we had dinner there one night and it was really good too but all pricey versus what you can get elsewhere on the island. Drinks are included in the breakfast (which is 15USD) but our understanding is that the drinks were not included in the dinner (which was on the pricey side- 35USD) as we were told to write down our drinks (2USD for the soft drinks- water is free) on the fridge before dinner and there was no drinks on the table at dinner- i.e. please pay for them. Add to that taxes and service to that.

Staff- the staff was nice but we have been to other places in that price range on other islands (where the cost of accomodation was comparable) and we thought that our reception was warmer elsewhere. We had no welcome drink or anything (we arrive late though). Instead, they explained us they counted us already for the 35USD dinner as we arrived late.

Other extras- Wifi is not included. You have to pay for it. I honestly never had the case before except in very cheap accomodation like youth hostel. Nowadays, that should be a given like toilet paper or bath towels are.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maybered
cincinnati
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I am a bit embarrassed to be so tardy in my review, as we stayed there 14 months ago. However, since I relied so heavily on what I'd read on this site, I felt obliged to offer our perspective. Let me say first, that our previous lodging was in a serene, remote location next to a roaring stream. I think that made the transition to our room at Cocoa Cottage a bit of a shock. Our window was within feet of a heavily traveled road with the diesel fumes, low geared engines, and the horns that go with it. (I had read nothing of this in reviews before our booking.) In fairness, if you are an early riser and don't care to nap in the afternoon, this may be less troubling for you.
Positives: Location in close proximity to attractions; spotless and quaint rooms; delicious dinner available; wonderful homemade chocolates available
Negatives: Road noise; lack of privacy; pricey (extra charges for items included elsewhere); a "walking on eggshells" feeling. Our hostess seemed to take personal offense to our dissatisfaction, though she attempted restraint. I understand that when you put your heart into something, you want others to appreciate your efforts. However, my discomfort remains as a predominate memory. We had planned to stay 5 days but left after 2.

Room Tip: Expect lodging close to city to be less serene
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank greenlizzy
CocoaCottages, Owner at Cocoa Cottages, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Hello Greenlizzy,

Thank you so much for your honest review. I am so sorry you have had such a terrible experience. You are right--the exploration for geothermal energy source, as part of the island's green approach to generate power, took place right around the time of your visit, for a whole month. We all suffered and it was beyond our control.

The good news is that the Geo team did not find anything, neither in Trafalgar nor in Wotten Waven; so they closed the sites and we are back to our tranquil environment. What a shame your timing was wrong, as none of our guests over the past 10 years have ever complained about the location. In fact, most guests are active people who wake up early to go hiking, diving and adventuring, taking full advantage of the proximity of our guest house to so many sites.

Anyway, Cocoa Cottage is home away from home for many of our guests, who interact with us directly, talking about their life, sharing their stories. I want to believe that people are honest enough to share their concerns with the cottage...and their complaints as well, so that we may discuss options in a kind manner. At the end of the day, I love my place and I care that people enjoy their stay and have a great experience on the island.

I am happy that you managed to get your serenity back after all, and now you feel a great relief.

Enjoy life, Iris.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
Manicou River
Manicou River
#3 of 4 in Portsmouth
The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar

Been to Cocoa Cottages? Share your experiences!