We spent 6 days at Cocoa Cottages at the end of Dec 2006 and over the New Year. What a special treat. We awoke every morning to hummingbirds sipping from the 20 foot high poinsettias which hung over our bedroom window. (Ask for the upstairs if you can.) We ate each night at informal and charming outdoor tables located adjacent to the kitchen, listening to the raining pound the roof as we sipped the addictive ginger rum concoction that Richard served up nightly. The place is magical, and it was even magical for our 13 year old kids. It is surrounded by grapefruit and star fruit trees, and has a feel that is whimsical and exotic. I spent most of the time wondering how i could recreate this feel at home -- in Washington DC. (Unlikely, I'm afraid....) Richard, Jeffrey, Iris, Charm and Rose go the extra length to make you feel comfortable and at home. You are always welcome to grab a beer out of the fridge, or get a hot pot of tea if you have been canyoning in the afternoon. They create a hospitable, friendly and welcoming environment for all ages and all backgrounds. We spent dinners with people from both the US and Paris, and from many, many other places on New Years Eve. It's a lovely atmosphere that we all looked forward returning to at the end of the day. We never ate out in the evening (which is an option) because we could not imagine a better place to be at the end of the day than sipping Richard's ginger rum drink and chatting over the hum of hummingbirds with the handful of other guests. BTW, the food is very, very nice. It is comprised of a flavorful buffet, all of which is unique and tasty, and even my kids had to admit that!
One final word about the extras associated with Cocoa Cottages. Richard and Jeffrey offer a canyoning adventure service -- essentially a guided exploration of a canyon in Morne Trois Piton by rappelling down a series of waterfalls. It is a beautiful and highly enjoyable way to see this beautiful island. We took our kids and thought it was one of the highlights of the island. If you are game for some safe adventure, you have to do the canyoning (called Extreme Dominica).
Lastly, Richard, Iris, Jeffrey and Charm will give you all sorts of advice about hikes and places to explore. They will also guide you if needed. Jeffery, in particular, knows a lot about the plant life on the island.
Dominica is a fascinating precious jewel. If you love natural beauty, hiking and exploring, and being around friendly and festive people, this is a perfect place to visit. Go before it is fully discovered!
Cocoa Cottages is a lovely and comfortable place to use as a base for exploring the southern part of the island. It's also very personable and everyone staying there always enjoyed the end of the day ginger rum get togethers at 6:00 p.m. to catch up and debrief on the day. Apparently this personal atmosphere does not really exist at some of the more formal places (like Papillot) and some of those guests actually came to Cocoa Cottages for dinner, because the atmosphere was more enjoyable.
Go while you can!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Cocoa Cottage--Dominica Mind Body Adventure. Cocoa Cottage is an artistic guest house located in the heart of the Roseau Valley, only a few miles from town but worlds apart. This valley is home to many waterfalls, sulfur pools, rivers, and various trails, all within minutes' drive of the cottage. Cocoa Cottage is imaginative, earthy, rustic and whimsical, a fine gentle touch with rough edges. It is a perfect union of all that nature offers. Our kitchen provides food for the soul, using the plentiful offerings of our island. At any time you'll find yourself deep in lively conversation with someone you just met, connecting, sharing, inspiring and being inspired. We adopt eco- friendly daily practices as a way of connecting with ourselves, with one another, and with the world around us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HRS and Hotel.de so you can book your Cocoa Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocoa Cottages Hotel Roseau
- Cocoa Cottages Dominica/Roseau