“Perfect to relax or be active”
Review of Pepper's Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roseau
Pepper's Cottage
Ranked #15 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
upstate New York
“Perfect to relax or be active”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

This is as advertised on the website. We chose the room and breakfast only package vs the all inclusive, and got our own guide,( though they will provide you with a guide if you want to do a different activity). The cottages are charming, relaxing and romantic- although require many steps to climb to get to the rooms). The food was great. Dominica is for the active- it is a rugged country. When a hike is advertised as a "5" or "extreme", that is exactly what it is! The staff was friendly and accomodating.
We had guide named Pepper (Tel: [--] [--]) who was recommended by a friend. He was great and really made our hiking memorable. We would be back again in a heartbeat. The only small drawback is that Delucie is somewhat out of the way for many of the tourist attractions. This requires some travel time to get to those activities.

D

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I stayed at Pepper’s cottage last October for 5 days. I was initially supposed to be at one of the most expensive hotel of the capital however I changed my mind. Why did I do that? Because of all those reviews on Pepper's. I once said to myself: ''That guy can't be that good, can he''? I looked up for travelers’ reviews that had stayed at his cottage, trying to find anything negatives but 99% of what I saw was positive. I then decided to give it a go and check by myself what that'' it's all about you'' motto is about. I arrived from Guadeloupe to Portsmouth and even though Pepper had told me that I could pick me up (was it already all about me?) I managed easily to get to the cottage by myself. I was at first slightly disappointed by the cottage appearance but it's still a fantastic bargain especially with the swimming pool. The cottage has all facilities (air con, TV, shower, double bed and is really cozy). I made myself comfortable and Pepper’s arrived and greeted me. I told him what wanted to see/do and he came up with a five day agenda. During that time I understood why Pepper deserved his reviews. He ALWAYS looking to help, ALWAYS making sure that make the most of our time on the island. As well as being a good host, he's an excellent guide and made me see breathtaking sceneries avoiding most tourists. Also Pepper has a great sense of humor and must know 90% of the island (Would he be replacing Nicholas Liverpool one day?)
The only downsides (yeah but there are few...) of my trip were:
• The house next door owed by his family shares with the cottage the same water supply. Consequence when someone has shower next door the water power decreases
• The swimming pool needs to be covered

• The way people drive. If you hire a car, think twice really

My review will never be enough to describe the FANTASTIC time (Have a look at my pics) that I had. However I’d recommend Pepper to anyone.

Yes Doctor!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Galagala971
charlotte,NC
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We booked at Peppers Cottages but ended up staying at Suite Pepper which is newer, larger and has a great view. The accomodations are nice but not resort like but when in Dominica you shouldn't be in your room much.
Pepper was an amazing tour guide and resource on the island. Let him do all your driving, it is money well spent and make sure you do at least a couple tours with Pepper as well.
He knows just about everyone and everything about Dominica which really enhanced our experience.

Stay with the Doctor, you won't be disapointed.

• Liked — view and host
  • Disliked — not a resort or hotel feel, which was fine.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
USA
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I have stayed at Pepper's Cottage and Pepper's Suites. I recommend Pepper's Suites: they are newer, larger and cleaner than the cottage. The cottage has a great location but getting around is easy via the bus or Pepper was always willing to drive us.
Even if you are not staying with Pepper, he was a great tour guide with the most reasonable prices on the island. Be honest with what you'd like to see and do and Pepper will do all to accommodate your requests. Pepper knew the best days to do each activity we were interested in and he was very honest and straight-forward regarding the cost and the experience.
After spending time with Pepper, I feel that I had a very authentic Dominican experience, meeting many friendly locals and getting to see a side of the island that many visitors likely miss out on. For example, when looking for a great authentic meal, Pepper took us to a small local kitchen- a spot we returned to several times during our stay. I know we'd have never found this great place on our own.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank MrGoldfinger
zwolle
Reviewed 28 May 2008

My young daugter and I stayed at Pepper's Cottage for a couple of nights. Since we have friends taking us out, we haven't been able to confirm what's written about the host, but without any doubt he is a good guide. Like many (if not all) Dominicans he seems to know, love and respect his country.

Compared to some other Caribbean islands, Dominica has a safe feel, I feel it's safe to walk into town after dark, even with a nine year old, of course, one has to be wise and careful like anywhere. The cottage is well-situated, downtown Roseau is around the corner, and taxi stands too! Food: try Le Garage. Or La Robe Creole, NO a/c and blasting hot inside, the veranda is better)

The cottage itself is small, but well, who needs a spacious place space when on holidays in the Caribbean? One "lives" ouside anyway. Pepper's porch/garden including a small pool is a very convenient place to relax (pray for the neighbour's dog to either die or move, and the place would be even more relaxing). Inside, well, we had to accept some dust and cobwebs. No A for cleanliness, but we've travelled a lot... so, accepted. One tip... do NOT open the cupboard, unles you love the scent of naftaline... we sprayed plenty underarm-deo inside the cupboard, but the scent was still nauseating (Maybe it's me, I really dislike the naftaline-smell in general).

Summarised: an A for location and hospitality! We would definitely book again (and request for a naftalin-minator in advance). ENJOY YOUR STAY AT PEPPER"s, AND SEE FOR YOURSELF: DOMINICA IS A STUNNING PLACE.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness/naftaline odour
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank trinidaddict
WORCS
Reviewed 3 March 2008

We stayed at Peppers Cottage in Roseau for nearly two weeks. Pepper was a wonderful host showing us all the sights of the stunning island of Dominica. Our visit to this hidden jem of an island was enhanced by peppers enthusiasm and knowledge of all aspects of the island. He personally showed us all the numerous natural attractions of scenic Dominica. If you visit Dominica then just ask Pepper, hes your man.

Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WORCSCOUPLE
Puerto escondido
Reviewed 14 January 2008

My stay at Peppers cottage was unreal! Pepper went out of his way to show me around the island and give me an insight into Dominican culture and life style.
I´d recommendStaying at peppers to anyone who is looking for adventure, and fun times.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank Benvanderz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Fort Young Hotel
#7 of 7 in Roseau
Narakiel's Inn
Narakiel's Inn
#5 of 21 in Roseau

Been to Pepper's Cottage? Share your experiences!