“Excellent Food and Service”

and 1 more site!
Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center
Ranked #5 of 21 Roseau B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just came back from there today. Paid 75 EC for a ribeye, 15 EC for a chocolate milkshake, and about 20 EC for a banana split. Everything was great. Asked for the ribeye to be well done with the garlic sauce and it was perfect. The milkshake was very good and I highly recommend it. The banana split was great. The atmosphere is awesome also. They played Caribbean music, salsa, bachata, merengue, and Mexican boleros. I was in heaven the entire time. Plus, the chef and I am guessing owner came over and bought Bacardi Limon shots for us. Everything was awesome. My four friends and myself really enjoyed it. It was dark but the beach looked nice. Did not spend a night here but the prices seem affordable. I think it's about 80 EC per night for two people.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Steve C
sunsetbayclub, Owner at Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are happy that you and your friends enjoyed dining with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Try the Grilled Lobster or Grilled Shrimp. The best deal in excellent butter and garlic grolled lobster and shrimp. Amazing quality and a most suprising price. The folks who do this restaurant have an amazing grip on customer service and food preparation!

Room Tip: Definitely get the grilled lobster or shrimp.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T C
sunsetbayclub, Public Relations Manager at Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again sometime soon.
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The location of the Sunset Bay is fantastic; it is right on a very beautiful beach, with no neighbours. Two buildings are actually directly overlooking the beach - the dive centre and the restaurant. Consequently, the bungalows with the beach view are actually facing the back side of the restaurant. Sometimes this gets uncomfortable (smell of food or quite a bit of noise, if they are partying late, but you go to bed early), but during our one week stay it was never too bad. Still, you might want to get a room in a second row of rooms.

The garden is packed with wildlife - primarily with large iguanas, but also birds, lizards, crabs, even scorpions. We liked it, but some people might not - so look where you step.

The hotel has a pool, which is very clean and nice.

Dive centre is well organised; diving is good. Dive sites are in some 12-25 minutes by boat. When the sea is rough, surface interval becomes uncomfortable in a small boat - but it is possible to anchor closer to the shore. It is also possible to dive at the house reef.

Restaurant is not too bad, though overpriced. The owners are trying their best to make it attractive, and it seems to be really popular among the locals and expats. This is also the only choice for the residents of the hotel. The food is ok, lobsters are fine and plentiful, mussels - bearable. It seems that the restaurant is trying to focus on European cooking, which is quite challenging, taking into account the location. We would definitely prefer to have more local cuisine.

Finally, we have to mention the staff of the hotel and restaurant. The place would be significantly better, if the staff were better selected, trained, or motivated. We cannot judge, what exactly is lacking, but on several occasions the perfect location and good facilities were overshadowed by negligent attitude of the staff.

Having written all this, I have to confess, that me and my family would be ready to come back again and again - the place is truly awesome.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Valts V
Thank you so very much for your review. We are happy that you had a pleasant stay here. We try our best to always keep our clients satisfied. All the best.
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The manager and staff at Sunset Bay were wonderful.

We scheduled a whale watching tour in June 2013. While we didn't see any whales but we had fun with several pods of dolphins.

We did not stay at the hotel but did try the restaurant which we found to be overpriced and not very good.

We recommended the 'tours' at this dive shop to another family while we were there. Had a great time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We do hope that you will be back here soon to do more whale watching tours with us.
Earth
Reviewed 10 April 2013

First, you ought to know that the Sunset Bay Club has no aircon, no televisions, no phones, and the water is solar-heated; rooms have fans and comfortable beds; this is *precisely* what I was looking for, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea ... The diving is great: Sites are *very* close (~20 min. by boat at very most); divemasters are competent, have strong familiarity with the reefs, and are multilingual; boat is in good condition, is comfortable, and provides a bit of shade from the midday sun. Great food at the restaurant, and the girls who work there are lovely, kind, and very helpful. The grounds are well-kept, and iguanas, lizards, and several species of birds wander / fly about. Bring your camera for the spectacular sunsets; or, just enjoy them in the moment. Overall, I had a thoroughly excellent experience.

Room Tip: I'd a room close to the restaurant / stairs down to the beach; this was ideal for me ... If you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank EccentricExplorer
sunsetbayclub, Public Relations Manager at Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Thank you for being such a lovely guests at Sunset Bay Club. We hope to see you again sometime soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I stayed on my own for the creole festival in 2012, the staff is wonderful, rooms clean and serving the best lobster EVER... say hi to the cute lizzards who also stays on the resort, Will be back in 2013.

Room Tip: just enjoy Dominica
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Polomint100
Thank you for your lovely words. We await your arrival and trust that you will be fully satisfied all over again.
Watchet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Sunset Bay sounds great - the reality is a big disappointment. it consists of a central kitchen and restaurant with an outdoor eating area (which is very pleasant) and three rows of concrete rooms one behind the other. The rooms are all the same, square boxes about 10x 12 feet with twin beds a wooden wardrobe and a small shower. There are no mosquito nets although there are hundreds of mosquitoes. I had fifteen bites on the first day. Fortunately the trees are full of iguanas who do their best to keep the mosquitoes down.

I booked a room in the front row. I was given one in the back which overlooked a concrete wall -not my idea of paradise. I was promised I would be moved the next day. I was not nor the next so I left . The lobsters were plates piled with simply cooked lobster, most of the other dishes apart from raw marinated fish were unprepossessing and described in the menu by little pictures reminiscent of a motorway hotel.

Breakfast was unexciting and two days running my omelette ran with oil, was leathery and I did not eat it.

The owners are Belgiums and French was the dominant language among the guests. Fortunately I have a ting ability to understand and speak French.

BEWARE, the owners run a cancellation policy and thus I paid 895 US dollars for a three night stay. They threatened me when I pointed out they had broken their contract. Marcella, the owner, were aggressive and rude so as a single woman I caved in and paid. Less hassle. It hurt my wallet, but I wanted to enjoy my holiday and that means staying in a comfortable room with a good bathroom and food I like.

I used the dive centre . It was well run, charming instructors, good equipment but a bit light on fish. Lots of lion fish which are enormously glamorous, have porcupine quills and are scary. But they are yummy yummy cooked lightly in butter.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the front rank and the you will have a view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sam W
Thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseau
Secret Bay
Fort Young Hotel
#1 of 7 in Roseau
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center

Been to Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center? Share your experiences!