Our dive group stayed here and this place has some problems.
They advertise as a dive resort but don't have a full time dive staff. When they have divers, they contract with some freelance Divemasters to do the dives. The boats are very small and slippery. One of our divers slipped getting into the boat and was hurting for both dives and missed the next day. The two Divemasters we had were very good but without organized procedures for gear storage and rentals it's a sloppy operation. They don't have any large shore rinse tanks for gear or an onboard mask bucket.
The rooms are very small with only beds, a closet and a nightstand. They do not have air-conditioning so you must sleep with the windows open. They do have a ceiling fan. Other than a small soap and toilet paper, there are no other toiletries.
Because you have to leave your windows open for ventilation, the smoke from smokers sitting outside their rooms blows through yours. Most guests are European and they tend to do a lot of smoking.
Some staff isn't very swift at getting orders correct. My cheeseburger came without cheese and my tuna salad came without tuna. One night they were hosting some private parties for the locals and the all-inclusive guests were mostly ignored. We never got desert that night.
CHECK IN STAFF
It doesn't seem like they know what they are doing. They wanted our passport numbers and wrote them all on one piece of paper with no names. Our group had four rooms and they took us around and let us pick from the four rooms. As a result, they had no idea who was in what room.
We had a problem booking transportation to the airport. The owner/manager/wife got upset, yelled at us and never even mentioned that she was sorry. AS a result, one guest had to get up a 4AM and then sit around the airport until 10:15AM.
The restaurant has lots of birds flying around. If the staff sits a drink on the bar, a bird will perch on the rim and drink from the glass. This happens almost all the time. The tap water has silt in it after a rain.
Hot water for a shower is hit and miss since each building has solar water heating. Better be first to take a shower.
Wi-Fi seemed to work OK one the office was occupied. Sometimes it didn't work overnight.
It's very obvious that the cleaning staff doesn't like working for the owners, Roger and Marcella. The staff is grumpy and not very friendly.
My toilet was running most of the time.
The towels are very stiff from washing and then line drying. The whites are dirty from the silt in the water.
I can't complain about the food as I enjoyed it. However without daily specials, it would get old if staying for a week or more using only the all-inclusive menu.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A cozy, beachfront hotel conveniently located in the center of Dominica's west coast. We offer all-inclusive or bed & breakfast plans to suite your needs. Our dive center, located on our private beach, offers morning boat dives, snorkeling and whale watching or relax at our pool and sauna located in our tropical garden. Come and enjoy a relaxing experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Bay Club And Seaside Dive Center
- Sunset Bay Club & Seaside Dive Hotel Roseau
- Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center Dominica/Roseau