We stayed 8 nights in this hotel. It is definitely a place that grows on you the longer you stay. The owner/managers are very sincere in their dealings with the guests, ensuring you get to do what you want. They have their eccentricities [imagine running this place for 12 years!] but they are mostly positive ones. As for the hotel itself I would summarise it as follows:
1/ Value for money is outstanding. So we were thinking of things in £ terms but even so, for a family of 4 on full board basis, we paid £110 per night.
2/ Sincerity of the owners - in a quirky way they will help however they can. You only feel this as you get to know them better!
3/ Location is great. Okay, so you do not have a golden beach but instead you get a real experience - grey sand, pebbles and small rocks just offshore - all of which means it has not been manicured and prettified, but does mean lots of tropical fish if you take a look.
4/ Wildlife: great to have the lizards and iguanas roaming around as well as the humingbirds [3 species], bananquits and the bullfinches coming to the tables. [No doubt some will not like the occasional "iguana pooh" on the walkways...]
5/ Rooms and cleaners are excellent. Even the waiting staff, at first morose and crotchety, become more friendly as time went on. By the end we found them very decent indeed!
6/ The lobsters we ate. Yum. We had them twice [took a bit of pestering to get them twice as they are no so much rarer than before]. You would pay £20+ for one fresh[ish] lobster in the UK. At Sunset my wife and I ate 8 between us each time.
Things to work on:
1/ The meal / manu variety needs more input. We heard many complaints [mainly from the guests from Martinique nb French] that the meals were not up to it. I have to say chicken drumsticks were in abundance - where the breast meat went I do not know!
The evening meals do need a bit more variety / imagination, but I will say that what I ate was always tasty and good quality.
2/ Swimming pool was just about ok. Not that clean and one or two sharply cut tiles made for a hazard.
3/ Rooms nice and clean but could have been a bit larger and more sympathetically made [more use of local timber / set diagaonally to give a more individual feel].
So on balance I would give the place a thumbs up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A cozy, beachfront hotel conveniently located in the center of Dominica's west coast. We offer all-inclusive or bed & breakfast plans to suite your needs. Our dive center, located on our private beach, offers morning boat dives, snorkeling and whale watching or relax at our pool and sauna located in our tropical garden. Come and enjoy a relaxing experience you will never forget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Bay Club And Seaside Dive Center
- Sunset Bay Club & Seaside Dive Hotel Roseau
- Sunset Bay Club & SeaSide Dive Center Dominica/Roseau