“Nice hotel”

Ranked #15 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I enjoyed the Hotel Palacio, I had the room on the top floor 136 I believe, nice room, nice pool, nice breakfast, nice courtyard, staff was friendly, breakfast was good and filling. Its in the middle of the colonial zone, security guard in the front, nice hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank WaynesTravels
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear guest:

We are pleased to know you had good stay in the hotel, your comment make us feel satisfied to continue providing the best service our guest.

Rosemary de Leon E.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I left 2 very good reviews in the past couple of years and have stayed here a total of 6 or 7 times. However, recent stays have made me wonder if the Palacio deserves such accolades. Instead of a review or writing about how great the hotel is which I've done in the past, I would simply like to make a couple of observations based on 2 recent stays.

The rooms in the old wing are in dire need of renovation. I am only going by experience with 2 such rooms, but I have heard similar complaints. They are not worth the price. There are plumbing, air conditioning and electrical problems and the rooms were downright depressing, i.e., dimly lit.

There was no lamp on the desk of a superior room on my first night during my last stay making it impossible to do anything on the desk at night... a simple request to get a lamp turned into a major hassle. Basically, the owner (Joaquin?) told me this is not the US.

Wi-fi has a minimal signal or is non-existent in every room I stayed in except #148. Joaquin's answer to that was that they are not responsible - it's in the terms.

The next thing is very subjective but I'll mention it. For a small boutique hotel, there is no loyalty given to repeat customers. I've always tipped well (to the entire staff) and don't consider myself to be a major pain in the neck, though I will speak up when there is a problem. I could cite several examples of what I'm referring to, but the following will suffice. I am coming to the DR next week and was going to book the Palacio for a night or two. I asked if I could have room 148 (which was available when I called) and offered to prepay. I was refused this accommodation for reasons unknown.

Chances are, you'll have a good experience, especially if you don't care about wi-fi. If you do care, room 148 is a good choice but will cost more than a standard room. It is also located on the same level as the pool, very convenient. And if you don't mind emptying your wallet and don't care about wi-fi, room 136 is fantastic... it's got a huge balcony the size of some rooms and the room is huge also.

As for me, the lack of loyalty was a deal breaker and I won't stay there any more. I booked at Nicolas de Ovando next week.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jook_savages
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear guest:

We have always cherished your relationship and have offered the best of our attention and services which has been the reason for your earlier good reviews.

It is surprising that you should leave such a review this time following your meeting with our manager and expressing your satisfaction with Hotel Palacio.

While we appreciate your feedback and understand the concerns shared by you, we also wish to express that there are certain times when things get beyond control. For instance, being unable to provide extra lamps, because all stocks have already been supplied to guests, Wifi not working properly, due to weak satellite signals or lower bandwidths, etc. As for the pricing factor, we have always provided value for money and for loyal customers such as yourself, have provided the maximum possible discounts.

We also wish to express that we were not in a position to provide you room 148 because we cannot allow the higher discount you sought for this room, as it is a much larger room with higher range of amenities.

We however, want to assure you that we shall take a close look into the matters expressed by you to check out possibilities of enhancing our standards further.

Our staff from Hotel Palacio
Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Let me start by saying that this is my first trip to Santo Domingo, so I have nothing by which to compare this hotel to others. That said, I've been all over the world, and so I think I can provide an objective review.

First the positives:

The staff was truly outstanding. The girls working the front desk were polite and helpful. The breakfast staff was friendly and always offered a warm greeting. I had a small issue with my internet, and the technical representative was at my room within two minutes.

The hotel does allow visitors, as I saw several people bringing in lady friends. However, they ask for anyone visiting to present identification, which they copy. I watched as a 60+ year old man tried to bring in a girl who couldn't have been older than 16. They stopped her and asked for ID. She said that she didn't have any. The man tried to fast talk her through, but they prevented it. In my opinion, this is the right balance, because it allows visitors, but helps t prevent theft and child prostitution.

The hotel provides free breakfast, eggs, potatoes, crescents, etc. It's not anything to write home about, but it fills you up in the morning. The location is also excellent. It is basically one block from the main street in the Colonial Zone, so it's very easy to do shopping, find a place to eat, or see the historic sights. There is a supermarket on the corner, as well as a clothing store with an ATM inside. The downside of the location is that there are vendors everywhere selling paintings and nick-nacks, but fortunately, they weren't too pushy.

Now the negatives:

The hotel rooms are grand in size (I was in the suite), with very tall ceilings, but they are in a slight state of disrepair (cracked walls, dirty crevices, telephone wires hanging out). The hot water constantly fluctuates from warm to boiling every thirty seconds or so. Be careful!

The room had a balcony that overlooked the street, but it was deadbolted and didn't look like it had been cleaned in years. The television was an old 19" box. There are a few English channels so it would have been nice to have a better TV. The pillows are awful. They are basically chunks of foam stuffed into a pillowcase. I heard another guest complaining about the pillows to the management. I think this would be a very simple improvement for the hotel.

The hotel has wifi, but the signal is weak in most places. I saw that many people came out to sit at outdoor tables to get better signal. Finally, my room faced the street, and, therefore, it was incredibly loud. I slept with earplugs, and even with those, it was impossible to sleep past around 7 or 8 am.

The hotel might be wonderful for Santo Domingo, but for me it was just OK.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bradleyart
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
we are making a few renovating furniture process for the comfort our guest.
Next visit you will find a modern TV of 42" and we apologize the inconvenience this caused.
we hope to see you again for your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My trip with friends to Santo dominigo wouldn't have been as good if we had stayed at a different hotel, coz the hotel itself was a lovely experience & gives a taste of Santo dominigo for what colonial taste it has. The whole place was just beautiful, & the colonial style it had was very unique & original, & pretty cozy too. I got a superior room, my friends had others, but there were great offers on the costs.
The service was very professional; The Staff was really great & helpful with everything. very clean rooms, there was a moderately sized pool which was good to chill. & the whole stay at the hotel was a breeze & very relaxing.
& one other great advantage was that its location was in the middle of the Colonial city places, so it was close to all the places we wanted to visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a hotel review, we are very pleased with our effort to maintain our quality of service because our reward will always be the fact that you leave happy and want to return.

Best Regards,

Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 August 2013

As a reward for my daughter doing well in her Junior year of High School and also because she's an awesome young woman, I picked the Dominican Republic for us to travel to so she could get a taste of a Spanish culture and so that she could habla a bit of the Espanol with native speakers.

From the time we were greeted from Jose, one of the three members of the hotel security staff we met during our stay, to the time we were checked in, we were greeted with smiles and courteous service. Our room was on the first floor and a bit warm, but as soon as we turned in the fans, the temperature was comfortable and as we soon found out after a day walking through the hot streets of the colonial district, a cool safe-haven. I read in a previous post of a poor experience with one of the front desk hosts, Ruth. On the contrary, Ruth and I had a great rapport. She was helpful and courteous. In my job working with my customers in the IT field, there will always be that small percentage of psychologically challenged people who think the world revolves around them and even worse the ethnocentric American who expects everyone speak good old American English; I digress.

The rooms and the property were nicely kept and the artwork and artifacts displayed are a great accent. Kudos to the cleaning staff for their hard work as well. I don't remember not being greeted with a smile and a verbal greeting anytime our paths crossed. The hotel management seemed to be present, but always in the background. Not a fault at all, because I'm sure they had a hotel to run.

Breakfast was great, the staff was always attentive and willing to assist if needed. And even though we wanted to try different restaurants during our visit, we enjoyed dinner at the hotel 2 of the 3 evenings we were there. All I can say is Diane was great. One evening in particular I brought chocolate from the Cacao factory around the corner and we had a great conversation while enjoyed coffee, chocolate, and a banana. She spoke less English than I did Spanish but we had a wonderful conversation.

Lastly, I've spent time in many, many hotels in quite a few countries and I would recommend this one in a heartbeat. It's close enough to the beach, tourist shopping, restaurants, and the taxi drivers are always willing to take you where you want to go; the Columbus Lighthouse, the 3 Eyes, etc. Do your research before you go, and take the proper precautions and you'll have a blast like we did. I wasn't ashamed to tell my wife when I returned to the US that 36 of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life live in the Dominican Republic. So, if we ever divorced, I now know where I'm moving to... Ok, that was a joke people... Stay thirsty my friend!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest:

It's review is very important for us, we are satisfied knowing your stay was enjoyable and your complete description about your stay confirms the nice moments you had it.
Finally thank you for taking your time to comment about us.

Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I booked this hotel after reading reviews on trip advisor and was not disappointed. I stayed here for five days. Its an absolute gem. The rooms are what they seem in the add. They are clean with some maintenance issues. When i checked in my phone and several power outlets were not working and I was offered a room change. I had requested a room with a balcony by email in advance but did not get it. However, the staff more than made up for these minor issues. Extraordinary service, very professional and they made me feel welcome and at home. The front desk receptionists helped with translation, recommended taxis, suggested places to visit and engaged in conversation.The kitchen staff were also friendly and professional. Breakfast was good and they allow for special requests for breakfast, just have to wait 30 minutes. Everyone here was really nice- talk to Rosemary or Vallaria if you need some advise on places to visit. If your espanol is limited and you need phone translation for your dominican guest, they will help. The security guys Arias and Julio are really helpful- engage them in conversation beyond the usual niceties. The hotel is right next to Calle El Conde and its a walking distance to the Malecon. Los tres ojos is about 15 minutes and Boca Chica beach is 20 minutes away. There are plenty of touristy eateries in close proximity (Pate Palo for instance) to the hotel. If you want the real Dominican food experience, walk up Calle Duarte into the city for some "Chavo". The general area appears to be safe and there is really good police presence in the streets.
Overall, I had a great time at this hotel and cannot wait to return! The staff is amazing.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get room 136. Check phone and power outlets. Call in advance if you have speci...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear guest:

We feel happy knowing you had a memorable stay with us, thank you for emphasize the important places and information about the hotel. About our staff which are grateful will continue offering the best service to get happy guest like you.
We will monitor more closely the maintenance
report.
We cannot wait to see in the hotel again.

florida
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We loved our stay at the Hotel Palacio. It's nestled in the heart of colonial Santo Domingo on a side street within walking distance of many historic sites and museums. Despite the bargain price, the hotel ambience was charming. The center courtyard was very sweet--try to get a courtyard view if possible. In addition, the rooftop small swimming pool was great for the middle of the hot summer days. It was very clean, and we were the only ones using it mid-day despite the fact that it was a weekend. The rooms were heavy on the colonial portraits for decorations, but were very clean and included use of a room refrigerator. The bed was comfortable. The breakfast fare was varied and above average for a buffet. Staff was polite, accommodating, and very prompt in providing help when needed. We are primarily English-speaking, and language was not a barrier. We would book again if we return to Santo Domingo.

Room Tip: The second and third floor rooms can be booked with a courtyard view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear guest:

We sincerely feel too satisfied because your stay were memorable for you,
it is whereby we feel satisfied when our guest decide to choose us in their next visit to Santo Domingo.
Your comment is very importan for us.
We hope for your next visit.