“A FINE CHOICE”

Boutique Hotel Palacio
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We arrived for a long Labor Day weekend, frazzled from 20 hours of air travel to a muggy evening in Santo Domingo. The moment we entered the Hotel at 11pm we were greeted like old friends and treated like Pashas during our 4-night stay. We opted for a '3 Crown' room which was quite roomy and cooled before our arrival, a much-appreciated amenity. The cost for a double was about $120/night and a great value in our opinion.
The tranquil location in the Historic and Picturesque Zona Colonial was perfect as a staging spot to the key points of interest, the oldest structures in the New World, shopping, dining, people watching options.
I found the included breakfast in a shaded and scenic patio excellent, with options tasty and varied and the chef offering to make special orders. The hotel has a number of indoor and out options for quiet reflection in shady and well-appointed nooks and arbors and a small but private pool on the roof for sun worshiping or a quick dip. The bathroom and shower was large, very modern and hot water was immediate at all times.
The staff was helpful in negotiating to reduce cab fares, confirming other travel arrangements. If we return to Santo Domingo, this will be our headquarters again.

Room Tip: Ours, 142 was near-perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear guest:

Thank you very much for taking your time to comment us.
We like to read about our guest the wonderful experience they had.
Our staff will feel gratefull knowing you had a memorable stay and you share it.
We hope to be the opcion for your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Warming regards,

There are newer reviews for Boutique Hotel Palacio

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel before, it was comfortable and somewhat austere. This time the service was awful, prices had been increased, and contrary to the majority of Santo Domingo hotels, breakfast was not free anymore. I arrived at the desk, was surprised by the new prices, I had seen lower prices on Internet, the receptionist assured me the prices were the same than on the Internet. First lie!! I took the room anyway because I had an urgent appointment. I wanted to check the prices on Internet, but the Wifi was not functionning, pages were not loading. I told to the receptionist. They sent somebody to "fix" it, when I came back same thing, 5 minutes to load a page, finally I got the price on Internet, it was much lower. They told me it was because the taxes were not added. I checked it. Second lie!! They told me the Internet had been checked and was working perfectly. Third lie!! I did quit with the Internet access problem after they told me that anyway they were not charging for it! They wanted me to show them the prices on Internet. It seems they don't know how to access Priceline! When I left I finally showed them the prices on my laptop. They need all the help they can get! Then they told me you cannot get those prices if you reserve the same day. Fourth lie!! I checked it afterward. The air conditioning in the room was too cold, the control did not work. The only way was to shut it taking out the card next to the door, but this shuts also all the electricity in the room. No TV, no telephone, etc. Finally They accepted to reduce th price, because they were other customers at the desk when I was leaving and I was going to make a scandal What an aweul experience.

Dominican are generally very friendly and amiable, not at the Palacio. the receptionists don't seem to know the meaning of the word courtesy, never say thank you, and keep a very unfriendly face most of the time. They did not even say a word when I left after paying my bil, like I did not existed. I live in this country, it was the first time I was treated like this by dominicans.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Michel P
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Guest:

This is the Manager of Hotel Palacio responding to your review. During your stay, I was informed by two of my front desk employees that you did not accept your room rate and you had Internet connectivity issues.

Let me address the issue of room rates first. Apart from the fact that the room rates keep increasing from time to time, there is also the factor of currency conversion from USD to RDS. As you are living in the RD, you would have naturally calculated the room rate in RDS and it would have seemed a little expensive when there was an increase in the value of USD.

You may find special offers on websites such as Google, Pricelines etc. The discounted rates on these sites are managed by the online agencies with our acceptance. These rates are most certainly not made available to walk-in guests which is the normal business practice of any hotel. Please note that the discounted rates made available by the online agencies are subject to several factors such as early bookings and prepaid bookings that are usually non-refundable. As for the front desk employees’ response to your request for reduction in room rate, she was merely discharging his duty by following the rates available on our website as she is not authorised to offer any discounts to customers. I would also like to add that if you wanted a room at a lower cost, there were other rooms available at cheaper rates.

Secondly, as for the Internet connectivity, our several attempts to show to you that the Internet was working properly failed because you refused to let us enter your room. In fact, at one such instant, I was personally outside your door, along with my technician, to be 100 % sure that you get the best service and yet did not get a chance to show you on a laptop that the Internet was working fine.
For future bookings, please check out the various websites to find specials.

Finally we hope you'll visit again.

Joachim Wagner

Reviewed 28 August 2013

PLUS

* Atmosphere.
* Caring of details and entirety of the building's interior and exterior, and especially the common areas were really enjoyable.
* Breakfast was really satisfying, good and healthy and in a lovely location.
* Room was in rather good condition and rather well equipped, however don't expect a too spacious room.
* Staff seemed to be doing its best in order to assist and gave a friendly and welcoming impression.

MINUS

* Reception staff showed variations in the experience of customer treatment.
* Also lacking knowledge of some locations in city, for example the main bus terminals.
* The taxi "needed for getting me to the bus terminal" should be a better deal than I got; in one case the taxi driver tried to trick me by driving obviously longer distances than needed, in combination with a rather unpleasant behaviour. Their recommended taxi operators (if any such deals) should be checked/certified in some way, not at least since many visitors of this hotels are from countries which may not be used to a certain sort of "taxi culture".

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear guest:

Provide the best service our guest is our main goal, we are grateful your feedback.
We will consider your sugestion because it is important for us and hope your visit again to offer a memorable stay which will always be our satisfaction.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We only stayed here for 1 night and were very happy with our choice. This boutique hotel has been restored and maintains all of it's original character including exposed brick, beautiful wood beams and all sorts of fun nooks and crannies. Our room was exactly as it appeared on the website. I don't remember which room but it was on the 2nd floor overlooking the courtyard. It was updated and comfortable with plenty of room for 3. The bathroom was ginormous. The a/c was absolutely fabulous!! The location was convenient and in the Colonial Zone. For a quick stay we had everything we needed including a hair dryer, a/c and wi-fi. We booked through the website and managed to get a better rate. Breakfast was not included in the special rate but that didn't matter since we left early anyway. My only observation beyond all of the good: there is a small coffee station in a sitting area off the reception area that still had our dirty cups and trash the following morning...clean and some coffee would have been nice on our way out the next day. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear guest:

Thank you for emphasize our top attractions, is a pleasure for us to give our best service and also receive the satisfaction of our customers.
we appreciate your suggestion , thank you very much for taking the time to help us be better.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 7 days was very accommodating for what we wanted to do, The staff were very helpful and accommodating, The room was very large, leaving plenty of room to relax, among large suitcases and extra beds.

Wireless internet is available with a code which you pick up at the front desk. They provide you with a ticket that has login information good for your stay.

The stay comes with breakfast buffet that is very nice, well stocked with an attentive wait staff. Local fresh fruit, pineapple, bananas, mango, papaya, etc, selection of yogurt, cheese, cereal, rolls, There are scrambled eggs, french toast and you can order a Torta which is the equivalent of an omelette. Coffee. The outdoor patio is quite nice in the morning before the heat of the day sets in.

We didn't use the pool it was very clean, breakfast and security staff very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much to share your memorable stay.
Your comments it make us feel satisfied to continue providing the best service our guest.
We hope you reapeat your visit again with us.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I enjoyed the Hotel Palacio, I had the room on the top floor 136 I believe, nice room, nice pool, nice breakfast, nice courtyard, staff was friendly, breakfast was good and filling. Its in the middle of the colonial zone, security guard in the front, nice hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank WaynesTravels
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear guest:

We are pleased to know you had good stay in the hotel, your comment make us feel satisfied to continue providing the best service our guest.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I left 2 very good reviews in the past couple of years and have stayed here a total of 6 or 7 times. However, recent stays have made me wonder if the Palacio deserves such accolades. Instead of a review or writing about how great the hotel is which I've done in the past, I would simply like to make a couple of observations based on 2 recent stays.

The rooms in the old wing are in dire need of renovation. I am only going by experience with 2 such rooms, but I have heard similar complaints. They are not worth the price. There are plumbing, air conditioning and electrical problems and the rooms were downright depressing, i.e., dimly lit.

There was no lamp on the desk of a superior room on my first night during my last stay making it impossible to do anything on the desk at night... a simple request to get a lamp turned into a major hassle. Basically, the owner (Joaquin?) told me this is not the US.

Wi-fi has a minimal signal or is non-existent in every room I stayed in except #148. Joaquin's answer to that was that they are not responsible - it's in the terms.

The next thing is very subjective but I'll mention it. For a small boutique hotel, there is no loyalty given to repeat customers. I've always tipped well (to the entire staff) and don't consider myself to be a major pain in the neck, though I will speak up when there is a problem. I could cite several examples of what I'm referring to, but the following will suffice. I am coming to the DR next week and was going to book the Palacio for a night or two. I asked if I could have room 148 (which was available when I called) and offered to prepay. I was refused this accommodation for reasons unknown.

Chances are, you'll have a good experience, especially if you don't care about wi-fi. If you do care, room 148 is a good choice but will cost more than a standard room. It is also located on the same level as the pool, very convenient. And if you don't mind emptying your wallet and don't care about wi-fi, room 136 is fantastic... it's got a huge balcony the size of some rooms and the room is huge also.

As for me, the lack of loyalty was a deal breaker and I won't stay there any more. I booked at Nicolas de Ovando next week.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jook_savages
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear guest:

We have always cherished your relationship and have offered the best of our attention and services which has been the reason for your earlier good reviews.

It is surprising that you should leave such a review this time following your meeting with our manager and expressing your satisfaction with Hotel Palacio.

While we appreciate your feedback and understand the concerns shared by you, we also wish to express that there are certain times when things get beyond control. For instance, being unable to provide extra lamps, because all stocks have already been supplied to guests, Wifi not working properly, due to weak satellite signals or lower bandwidths, etc. As for the pricing factor, we have always provided value for money and for loyal customers such as yourself, have provided the maximum possible discounts.

We also wish to express that we were not in a position to provide you room 148 because we cannot allow the higher discount you sought for this room, as it is a much larger room with higher range of amenities.

We however, want to assure you that we shall take a close look into the matters expressed by you to check out possibilities of enhancing our standards further.

Our staff from Hotel Palacio