Boutique Hotel Palacio
US$152
US$185
US$133
Hotels.com
Barcelo Santo Domingo(Santo Domingo)
US$115
US$172
Hotel Villa Colonial(Santo Domingo)
US$110
  • Breakfast included
US$255
US$235
US$160
US$140
  • Breakfast included
Casas del XVI(Santo Domingo)
US$298
US$284
All reviewsrooftop poolzona colonialel condecentral courtyardold worldhistoric sightswalking distanceshopping streetcalle duarteroom was largecolonial stylemodern amenitiesdominican republicair conditioningbeautiful hotelnight lifepunta cana
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The hotel has large rooms, and a nice breakfast. The hotel is in the colonial area, and faces ugly buildings, with no ocean view. At night security padlocks the front door to keep street people out. The hotel is a long walk to the malecon. The reception staff are friendly, but not very competent when it comes to checking out with a credit card. The staff uses old credit card machines, and you need to double check your bill. For just about the same amount of money you can stay at the Hotel Napolitano with an ocean view.

Room Tip: No ocean views...Try the Hotel Napolitano, which is close with an ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for the review about our hotel and voicing your opinion. At Hotel Palacio, we believe that such reviews are an excellent way to avoid misunderstandings.

We understand that everybody has different tastes for hotel locations, however, we wish to emphasize that our hotel is located in the heart of the old buildings in the Colonial city. This location is also the centre for all sorts of entertainment such as pubs, bars, lounges, restaurants and of course, many historically significant buildings and places from the new world.

The Malecon does have many new high rise hotels, discotheques and casinos. But being far away from the major tourist attractions of the historic colonial city you may have to spend quite a lot on expensive taxis. Most of the clients we get stay with us exclusively to see the old Colonial city.

As for your remarks about the old credit card machines, there are only two service providers who work for all the banks and provide these machines. They are certainly new, but sometimes they have their moments and get frozen. We understand that you were in a hurry and were upset that we asked you for a moment longer. We assure you that there was no overcharging, on the contrary, the machine was not charging your extra expenses while we tried to charge again. In fact, we decided not to charge your extra charges to avoid more delay for you.

However we are glad to hear that you reviewed our property as nice hotel. We once again thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We arrived for a long Labor Day weekend, frazzled from 20 hours of air travel to a muggy evening in Santo Domingo. The moment we entered the Hotel at 11pm we were greeted like old friends and treated like Pashas during our 4-night stay. We opted for a '3 Crown' room which was quite roomy and cooled before our arrival, a much-appreciated amenity. The cost for a double was about $120/night and a great value in our opinion.
The tranquil location in the Historic and Picturesque Zona Colonial was perfect as a staging spot to the key points of interest, the oldest structures in the New World, shopping, dining, people watching options.
I found the included breakfast in a shaded and scenic patio excellent, with options tasty and varied and the chef offering to make special orders. The hotel has a number of indoor and out options for quiet reflection in shady and well-appointed nooks and arbors and a small but private pool on the roof for sun worshiping or a quick dip. The bathroom and shower was large, very modern and hot water was immediate at all times.
The staff was helpful in negotiating to reduce cab fares, confirming other travel arrangements. If we return to Santo Domingo, this will be our headquarters again.

Room Tip: Ours, 142 was near-perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear guest:

Thank you very much for taking your time to comment us.
We like to read about our guest the wonderful experience they had.
Our staff will feel gratefull knowing you had a memorable stay and you share it.
We hope to be the opcion for your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Warming regards,

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel before, it was comfortable and somewhat austere. This time the service was awful, prices had been increased, and contrary to the majority of Santo Domingo hotels, breakfast was not free anymore. I arrived at the desk, was surprised by the new prices, I had seen lower prices on Internet, the receptionist assured me the prices were the same than on the Internet. First lie!! I took the room anyway because I had an urgent appointment. I wanted to check the prices on Internet, but the Wifi was not functionning, pages were not loading. I told to the receptionist. They sent somebody to "fix" it, when I came back same thing, 5 minutes to load a page, finally I got the price on Internet, it was much lower. They told me it was because the taxes were not added. I checked it. Second lie!! They told me the Internet had been checked and was working perfectly. Third lie!! I did quit with the Internet access problem after they told me that anyway they were not charging for it! They wanted me to show them the prices on Internet. It seems they don't know how to access Priceline! When I left I finally showed them the prices on my laptop. They need all the help they can get! Then they told me you cannot get those prices if you reserve the same day. Fourth lie!! I checked it afterward. The air conditioning in the room was too cold, the control did not work. The only way was to shut it taking out the card next to the door, but this shuts also all the electricity in the room. No TV, no telephone, etc. Finally They accepted to reduce th price, because they were other customers at the desk when I was leaving and I was going to make a scandal What an aweul experience.

Dominican are generally very friendly and amiable, not at the Palacio. the receptionists don't seem to know the meaning of the word courtesy, never say thank you, and keep a very unfriendly face most of the time. They did not even say a word when I left after paying my bil, like I did not existed. I live in this country, it was the first time I was treated like this by dominicans.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Michel P
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Guest:

This is the Manager of Hotel Palacio responding to your review. During your stay, I was informed by two of my front desk employees that you did not accept your room rate and you had Internet connectivity issues.

Let me address the issue of room rates first. Apart from the fact that the room rates keep increasing from time to time, there is also the factor of currency conversion from USD to RDS. As you are living in the RD, you would have naturally calculated the room rate in RDS and it would have seemed a little expensive when there was an increase in the value of USD.

You may find special offers on websites such as Google, Pricelines etc. The discounted rates on these sites are managed by the online agencies with our acceptance. These rates are most certainly not made available to walk-in guests which is the normal business practice of any hotel. Please note that the discounted rates made available by the online agencies are subject to several factors such as early bookings and prepaid bookings that are usually non-refundable. As for the front desk employees’ response to your request for reduction in room rate, she was merely discharging his duty by following the rates available on our website as she is not authorised to offer any discounts to customers. I would also like to add that if you wanted a room at a lower cost, there were other rooms available at cheaper rates.

Secondly, as for the Internet connectivity, our several attempts to show to you that the Internet was working properly failed because you refused to let us enter your room. In fact, at one such instant, I was personally outside your door, along with my technician, to be 100 % sure that you get the best service and yet did not get a chance to show you on a laptop that the Internet was working fine.
For future bookings, please check out the various websites to find specials.

Finally we hope you'll visit again.

Joachim Wagner

Reviewed 28 August 2013

PLUS

* Atmosphere.
* Caring of details and entirety of the building's interior and exterior, and especially the common areas were really enjoyable.
* Breakfast was really satisfying, good and healthy and in a lovely location.
* Room was in rather good condition and rather well equipped, however don't expect a too spacious room.
* Staff seemed to be doing its best in order to assist and gave a friendly and welcoming impression.

MINUS

* Reception staff showed variations in the experience of customer treatment.
* Also lacking knowledge of some locations in city, for example the main bus terminals.
* The taxi "needed for getting me to the bus terminal" should be a better deal than I got; in one case the taxi driver tried to trick me by driving obviously longer distances than needed, in combination with a rather unpleasant behaviour. Their recommended taxi operators (if any such deals) should be checked/certified in some way, not at least since many visitors of this hotels are from countries which may not be used to a certain sort of "taxi culture".

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear guest:

Provide the best service our guest is our main goal, we are grateful your feedback.
We will consider your sugestion because it is important for us and hope your visit again to offer a memorable stay which will always be our satisfaction.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We only stayed here for 1 night and were very happy with our choice. This boutique hotel has been restored and maintains all of it's original character including exposed brick, beautiful wood beams and all sorts of fun nooks and crannies. Our room was exactly as it appeared on the website. I don't remember which room but it was on the 2nd floor overlooking the courtyard. It was updated and comfortable with plenty of room for 3. The bathroom was ginormous. The a/c was absolutely fabulous!! The location was convenient and in the Colonial Zone. For a quick stay we had everything we needed including a hair dryer, a/c and wi-fi. We booked through the website and managed to get a better rate. Breakfast was not included in the special rate but that didn't matter since we left early anyway. My only observation beyond all of the good: there is a small coffee station in a sitting area off the reception area that still had our dirty cups and trash the following morning...clean and some coffee would have been nice on our way out the next day. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Joachim W, Manager at Boutique Hotel Palacio, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear guest:

Thank you for emphasize our top attractions, is a pleasure for us to give our best service and also receive the satisfaction of our customers.
we appreciate your suggestion , thank you very much for taking the time to help us be better.