“Not amazing, not terrible”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Santo Domingo
Ranked #46 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I accompanied my husband on a business trip to the DR in September last year and we stayed at Hotel Santo Domingo for about 5 days.

Our room was clean and a decent size but a bit dated. I had to call the front desk several times for various reasons: TV not working, blow drier not working... However, they promptly responded to my issues and sent someone up in reasonable time. The TV was also quite tiny so watching it all the way from from the bed was not fun. Not much of a view from our room though.

The breakfast buffet was okay, with alot of options and a bit of variation every day. I did have one very negative experience at breakfast one day though, when after taking the first sip of a hot chocolate that I had ordered, I felt a particle of something on my tongue. When examining it, I found what appeared to be a part of an insect. I picked out several more insect parts from the mixture with my spoon including a tiny leg (looked like a roach leg). Thankfully I had only had one small sip and I am still alive to tell the tale today :-S

The guy who worked at the currency exchange office at the hotel, I found to be quite rude and dismissive when I went there one day to change some US to Dominican currency. He had me waiting on him while he was on the phone on a personal call. However, I do not believe that he was an employee of the hotel or anything, so I do not rate the hotel based on my experience with him.

The staff at the front desk were helpful and friendly as were most of the staff I encountered in the hotel.

All in all, its not a bad hotel to stay in if you're just looking for a place to rest at night while you take in sights and tastes in other parts of the capital.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jangelis
GuestManagerHSD, Manager at Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay at our Hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience you have had in our Hotel, I assure you are taking steps to prevent it from happening again in the future.

We love to have feedback from our customers; it allows us to improve to provide an impeccable service.

I hope to welcome you to our Hotel, and take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Lilianna Mora

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Having stayed for several weeks in a room on the Executive Floor....I reckon that this hotel is good value for money. It is in need of some updating and cosmetic distress may be observed but it has a great location near to the beach and is also close to shops..though a rive from the actual centre and the "Colonial Zone". Plenty of parking for cars. The restaurant is good and I enjoyed eating there. The gym is certainly in need of updating and whilst "in the hotel" its a few minutes stroll through the grounds. The equipement is old...but the staff on duty when I havebeen were friendly and helpful. There are also tennis courts, buti did not use these.The pool area was fine. In general ALL the staff, with the exception of the one, which always provesthe rulewere very helpful. I have totally no faults to find with the staff and their attentiveness on the Executive Floor....any business person may be assured of being looked after. What the hotel lacks because of the somewhat dated decor...and staff more than make up for it.

Room Tip: If you want a quite room ask for one oerlooking the gardens. The ones at the front of the hotel have...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank travelaurauk
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This is a great hotel, if your looking for the modern chic style this may not be the hotel for you.Although if your looking for old world class, opening of doors, respect, free wifi, a huge pool that looks like a beach resort, great satellite channels, spacious comfortable rooms, and great customer service , this is the place for you. the staff speaks English and the hotel is a one or two blocks from the metro, where you can get anywhere in the city. every single staff memo was respectful and courteous and very sensitive to the disabled, from getting the door to carrying your bags, and were very polite. I've stayed in three hotels in the city and this by far was the best one I have stayed in. the only con I would say is the key to the minibar, I didn't want the key for drinks but did want to use the fridge for putting leftovers , but this is the only drawback I could think of , the hotel has everything. The furniture is old school and designed by Oscar de la Renta and is very beautiful. I loved the pool area where it seems you aren't in the male con near the highway but in paradise and staff members will ask you if you like a drink. Most people only write reviews when they are bad but I had such a wondful experience here I had to write a positive review. Trust me on this one if your staying in the city, try some class and the hotel santo Domingo. You won't be disappointed, in fact it's better than some hotels I've been in Virginia and new jersey.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank JessyT1
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Excelent location near to everything
The hotel is to old and the rooms too as my grand grand Ma's House hehe
Big room but terrible decoration
Terrible bed to soft to small
Hotel 4 stars with 20" tv hehe 9 feets away from the bed the remote control never works
No valet parking
Breakfast buffete as the high school food court : (
Service in restaurant as a coffe shop in the road 66
Shower very small with no space at all

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank HernanHuicochea
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Based upon a business contact's suggestion I booked this hotel. What a mistake! It is out dated, dirty rooms, frayed carpet, brown water came out of the faucet, the AC was working yet it still registered 78 F in the room, there were so many extension cords plugged into one socket that it looked like an electrical fire waiting to happen and a saw a cockroach in the bathroom when I turned the light on! Bottom line...I checked out and went to the Hilton down the street.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank laurandon
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The Hotel Santo Domingo is way past its 'glory days'! The location is excellent for the business traveler and I have stayed there several times over the last few months for business. However, for business is one thing, for pleasure is something else. The hotel is in a deep state of 'deferred maintenance' with so many things wrong or unattended to, that one cringes at every turn. I'm not sure where to begin.

The Pluses:
- Beautiful main lobby sitting area designed by Oscar de la Renta (best part of the hotel)
- All rooms are the same size and very large by today's standards
- Free: room safes, internet (Excel Floor), Buffet breakfast
- Good Buffet breakfast (included with most rates) and Buffet lunch
- Great location
- Marrakesh Bar has nice atmosphere, although live music tends to be too loud. Food is good, especially the tempura shrimp
- Staff is overall friendly and helpful although they often have an arrogant attitude (common throughout the city of Santo Domingo)
- Nice pool

The Minuses:
- Everything is old and falling apart
- The Excel Club (top floor executive floor) is on the top (3rd) floor and shows severe water damage and has the same old and antiquated furnishings as the other rooms in the hotel (Note: two rooms have been renovated, as an experiment only)
- TVs offer good channel selections but are the size of most laptop screens and often need readjustments and rebooting
- No alarm clocks in the rooms
- Hotel internet is often difficult and fluctuates
- The bedside light switch, in some rooms, turns both the lights and the TV off
- Gym is so old and far from the hotel entrance that just getting there is a cardio walk
- Dinner in the restaurant is so-so and expensive for what you get
- Rooms are 2-star quality with stained and buckling carpets, poor lighting, inconsistent hot water for showers during peak times, water stained walls and ceilings in top floor rooms (and this is the Excel Club Floor!!) It only gets worse if you are the first floor!
- Check-in and check-out is an 'event' It takes an enormous amount of time with several consultations with other personnel to get the process completed -it's as if they are doing it for the first time, every time! Ugh!

Well, if you want a good central location for business or pleasure and a rate under $100 with full breakfast, won't be staying much in the room, then the Hotel Santo Domingo is a good value! If you need quality surroundings and everything functional, then I'd suggest alternative lodging!

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd floor room to get the benefits of the Excel Club (Free Buffet breakfast as well as lou...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I will never stay at this hotel again. I booked and paid for the hotel in Aug 2011 and my trip wasn't until Oct 2011 almost a full 2 months. I get to the hotel and for them to tell me that there is no more rooms available. I asked why isn't there any rooms? Told them that this is a room that was paid for 2 months ago and they said sorry all the rooms are booked. After some time the receptionist came back and said that they booked a hotel for me in another hotel 20 minutes away I explained to her and told her that that hotel is out the way and is very inconvenient but it didn't matter she said there isn't any options. By this time there was a gentleman checking out of his room, I asked if I could take his room and they said no and wouldn't offer me a explanation why. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo