“Lovely place”

Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed here for a friends wedding and upgraded our room. It was beautiful, the staff friendly and the setting perfect. The price was reasonable for a regular room, a bit pricey for the better room but you can't really find another beautiful and intimate place like this in Santo Domingo so we thought it was worth it. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 17 November 2011

Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

The term "Hostal" is a misnomer. It is most certainly a boutique hotel. The grounds are beautiful. The service is a bit lackluster and it really became apparent when my iPhone went missing. Rather than being helpful and prompt, they went on the defensive. I'm sure that someone from their staff stole it. I know I had it in my room before I left and within half an hour of leaving I called the hotel to tell them it went missing in my room. Someone in my party saw me go to my room with it just before we checked out. I ran down the other locations it could've been with the management giving them the benefit of the doubt. They promised they would call me back or send me emails and they never did. I always had to follow up with them even when they said that they would call or email. All in all, it was a disappointing end to a very lovely weekend getaway.

Room Tip: TIP: Use the safe!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Wanderer1979
Management response:Responded 29 August 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you taking the time to write your positive comment about our property and the case you are mentioning.
On the 21st of august, you informed us by phone from the airport that your mobile phone might be in your room. Our receptionist and our chamber made went to check immediately in your room but they didn’t found anything.
When you called back a few minutes later, you asked them to look in your parent’s room, we did it without success, then you asked us to look in the bar but we did not found it.
Later in the day you sent one person to search for your phone, we did look around with him everywhere once more without success.
I am sorry to read that you are accusing our staff from stilling your phone.
The only person who entered in your room is one of our chambers made working for us since years. She have my full trust and shown us in the past her honesty.
I do answer to you after studying the case and done some serious investigations.
As you said you left the hotel on the 21st of august and we informed you on the phone that we didn’t found anything on the same day, even if our staff and looked every where.
I have been informed of the case on the 22nd, I studied the result of our investigation.
On the 23rd morning we sent you an email confirming to you that, we did not found anything.

I do regret the incident and I do hope that you understand that we are not talking of benefit of doubt but talking of facts and result of investigation.
I do hope to have the pleasure to meet you one day.

Sincerely your’s

Thomas Simonnet
Général Manager

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Beautiful renovated colonial hotel in a nice area of Santo Domingo, very professional staff, comfy rooms, amazing breakfast in the courtyard. One of the best in Santo Domingo

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 August 2011

excellent: bedrooms, swimming pool, snacks, restaurant, the best service, the best beds. well located, close to old town.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Gorgeous boutique style hotel with lovely different areas throughout. Great location in the historic heart of the capital. The rooms were decorated very well and the food in the restaurant was great.

The hotel booked us on a walking tour of the city and for $50 - this was a ridiculous fare. Foolishly we paid it but it was a complete waste of time and money. Apart from that our experience was good and we went back and stayed a 2nd time. The pool was lovely and very refreshing but the view was onto industrial buildings across the water which was a shame.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 differnt rooms and both were lovly
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 25 August 2011

I really appreciate your words about your experience with the city tour and the restaurant with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

A TripAdvisor Member
Haiti
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Very cool to experience feeling gorgeous and relaxing with mixed romantic, modern and colonial atmospheres. can enjoy sun, swimming, exercise at the Jim, drink and work although I never sit under sun. can get advice and information a lot to enjoy RD depend on our tastes. Only the thing I could not continue same menu of Breakfast. We can go out easily because of good location!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 6 July 2011

I really appreciate your words about your experience on the breakfast and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

My fiance and I will be getting married at Hostal Nicolas de Ovando later this year. The hotel is gorgeous and we were really impressed with their courtyard and the historic building. We have yet to spend a night at Nicolas de Ovando but we have already paid for the wedding. Considering that we will be spending a significant amount of money to have our wedding there, we asked to get a discounted rate on the rooms for our wedding guests. Not only did they ignore our original e-mail, but after we decided to contact them again several days later, the hotel simply said that the rates are the rates. So now we will be asking all of our guests to stay in more affordable hotels nearby. This is very unfortunate because they will be losing more money than if they had granted us a special rate for our guests. Luckily, other hotels are willing to provide a special rate for large groups. I really hope their customer service improves because the hotel is quite beautiful and has so much potential.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple