“Beautiful building, ideal location, awesome staff”

Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando
Ranked #13 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful building, ideal location, awesome staff”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed for work, so I can't speak to the value, but this place was excellent and I felt like I was on vacation every evening when I came home from the office.
The location is wonderful for walking around at night and near many of the tourist highlights in the city.
The building is a landmark itself and truly beautiful. There is lush vegetation outside with flowers and palms and I even saw a cute tiny lizard scurry about.
The staff was always super helpful and friendly. I felt very safe and the front desk helpfully made arrangements for me (transportation, special receipts, etc.) with no problems.

Breakfast was delicious and the service was excellent. One day (Sunday?) they had beautiful live guitar music in the courtyard while we ate. I had a few meals at the bar and one in the restaurant. The restaurant was delicious and the presentation was truly superb (it was even artistic!) but it was pricey and a bit of a splurge for me.

Free wi-fi everywhere, with a good connection, made it perfect for business.

My only critiques: I found the mattresses to be too firm. Some rooms have quite a bit of street noise. I wish there were more outlets by the bed. I wish the hotel bar was just a little more affordable. Though, I should say they have a Thursday 2 for 1 Happy Hour which is a great deal.

Room Tip: the courtyard to the left of entrace (away from restaurant) seems quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thomassimonnet, Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Is an honor for us that you took the time to express your comments about your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. Our team is in constant training for the improvement of our services, is always a pleasure to receive positive feedbacks from our guests.

I really appreciate your words about your experience with us and waiting for your next visit as enjoyable as the previous.

Thomas SIMONNET

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel is in the Colonial Zone, which in and of itself is one of the best locations in the city. The atmosphere, the vibe, and the general historical feel to the place blend right in with the other buildings on this street. Just down the street are cafes, restaurants, parks, and a lively night life. Shopping is also handily nearby. The customer service at this place is top notch. Not only are they incredibly professional and courteous, they were also extremely helpful when I needed advice on where to go and what to see. Everyone spoke English, which was a relief to this non-Spanish speaker! My room overlooked the river, and the little balcony was the perfect spot to sip a glass of wine as the sun sets. The breakfast buffet is also really good. My only complaint was that it is outdoor seating, and the mosquitos thought I was an item on the buffet! I recommend bug spray.

I will definitely stay here again and recommend it to all my friends!

Room Tip: Higher floors mean you get less street noise!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, 24 July 2013

Fredrikstad, Norway
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here 5 nights june 2012 and it was fantastic. the food dinner was great, the breakfast was outstanding! the room with huge white concrete waals and 10 meters to the ceiling was romantic and very nice! super service and this is a must if you visit Santo Domingo!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thomas Simonnet
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

After trying several other hotels in Santo Domingo, I returned to the Nicolas Ovando for a 3 day excursion in the colonial zone. I can confidently state that it is the BEST hotel in the area. The staff are very professional and friendly and never hesitate to assist with any need. In particular I want to recognize Carmen and Siman Sanchez -- these two talented employes represent the high standards of this hotel. FYI -- I could recognize several other staff members for their attention to customer service.

While I was very impressed with the hotel staff, I also want to note the security on the property; as well as the hotel's location in the colonial zone. It's easy to navigate this area and I've never had any issues. My room was extremely comfortable and appreciated the minibar after a long evening. Further, the breakfast buffet is excellent; the fitness room is adequate and the wifi kept me connected around the pool.

Oh yeah -- try the mimosas at the lobby bar. LOL. You will only need 1. Outstanding rates are available for this more than outstanding hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Erick T
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, 3 July 2013

France
Reviewed 23 June 2013

After maybe 50 or 60 stays in Hostal Nicolas de Ovando in 8 years, I still believe that it is the best hotel in town, by far ! Despite its downgrading from Sofitel (brand to which it was not up to) to M Gallery (which corresponds better to its standing), the services remained the same (good, efficient and very warm) and it even gained on several points : breakfast improved a lot (it was a must !) even if the morning service is sometimes approximative and slow, the restaurant is now at the level of this magnificent historical building and the rooms decoration is slowly modified to gain the warmth you should expect at this price level (I still can't believe that there are no carpets on each side of the bed !).
Be careful, some rooms (even priced at more than 300 USD) don't even have a window !!!
The concierge and business service are efficient, and Carmen, the Main Concierge, is always ready to help with a large smile. Reception staff is also nice and efficient. The low staff turnover shows that this is a well managed team.
To finish, the location is perfect, in the middle of the most historic place of Santo Domingo, close to the best and most lively part of the Zona Colonial.
I tried most of other luxury hotels in Santo Domingo, and until now, this the best by far.
You can maybe consider Holiday Inn or Hilton (awful restaurant) if you need to stay in a more central business district, but you won't get a tenth of the atmosphere !

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Patrick_JS
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, 25 June 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed at other hotels in Santo Domingo but this is wonderful. In the historic area of Zona Colonial. Do not look elsewhere, have a great dinner too. Good price for the quality although dinner is a bit $$$ for Santo Domingo, nevertheless the menu and the service are impeccable. Breakfast is cosy and very genuine. Relax at the pool and try the massage service. Well priced and excellent. For transportation use hotel transport cars. You have a choice of classic or contemporary rooms. We stayed at the contemporary and just as we wanted. Silent and very safe. Again the staff is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nicola61Ita
Thomassimonnet, General Manager at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, 19 June 2013

Thomas Simonnet