“Exquisite!”

Ranked #15 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Above Bucharest
“Exquisite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed nere for two nights a few weeks ago and we really enjoyed it. Lovely rooms (we opted for a colonial style), very good location, excellent service, tasty and varied breakfast, nice views of the port and sea and great looking interior facilities.
WiFi is a bit slow and connection fails from time to time, but nothing to complain too much.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DenisMatas, Directeur général at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the MGallery Santo Domingo Nicolas De Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Denis MATAS CALDERON

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

This place is such a value! Right in the Colonial District and they don't miss a trick. Great, very attentive service from the word "go", absolutely stunning 16th century restoration with all the creature comforts. Comfy, well appointed rooms. Great bar, pool and pool table area with wifi and views. And the most killer breakfast you can find in the DR. Great stuff highly recommend!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

stayed here for a business trip in early January. The rooms are spare and on the small side, yet luxurious. Extremely comfortable bed. My room faced the river and flour mill across the way. It was interesting to watch the boat traffic. Breakfast was amazing - huge range and a gastronomic treat. On the downside, the pool was small; pool areas so-so.

Room Tip: Riverside provides an entertaining view of the cruise ships and other traffic on the river as well a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bizwoman

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I'm Platinum in SPG, Diamond in both Hyatt and Hilton, and originally was quite excited at my first experience of Accor brand throught his hotel, but I ended up with disappointed in their service.

Just after I took shower, while I was in the middle of wearing clothes, some hotel staff entered without knocking, saw me half naked, started laughing loud and left the room without apologizing. I was stunned, first at the occasion itself, and second how the hotel is treating the guest especially when it was obviously unacceptable occasion. I immediately complained to the duty manager and she agreed that this should had not happened and would see what she could do with her general manager of the hotel.

The general manager came up with a free drink coupon with a letter. The coupon, however, was cleaned by the housekeeper another day. So I feel that I was humiliated by this hotel even twice.

Rooms are more tourists friendly, not for business travellers. Room with historic structure are interesting, but internet is slow and room is too dark. A/C is strong and a bit noisy, so at night I had to get up to turn off A/C.

Still the hotel has a great location for tourist - heart of colonial town. Very easy access to the historic town and safe to walk around. Lots of restaurants and bars around.

However, I won't return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms inside to the pool area would be quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank freqtravelbiz
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

The hotel has an incredible service and the location can not be better. It is a history and coloniality behind of what is left of the wall of colonial Santo Domingo. The rooms are comfortable, luxury with simplicity, but they need updating, good internet and reliable service. The ambiance is unique by the pool at evenings.

Room Tip: The hotel needs updating, spa and banking facilities to become a much better facility.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank FGJCaribe

Irkutsk, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel is a real gem in the Zona Colonial of Santo Domingo. Everything is just great - from the authentic building with excellent rooms in colonial style to the outstanding service in the restaurant and all over the hotel. This hotel exceeded my expectations! I have no single negative comment. Originally we thought about having dinners in the city, but after our first night dinner we were so impressed by the restaurant and food, that we ate there all three nights we stayed in Santo Domingo. All dishes were delicious and the service - perfect. We enjoyed breakfasts as well,
Many thanks to all staff who was involved in making our stayng so great, especially to Francesco!

Room Tip: we stayed in the colonial style room facing the Calla Las Damas. I also checked the modern room and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vlad K

caribbean
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed there to celebrate my husband's birthday, all the personnel went out of their way,giving more than just what is expected, beyond that, going the extra mile, I requested a room with a beautiful view and they gave us an spectacular, amazing room, with a breathtaking view on one side to the river and the other end, it was the inner patio, with a fountain. I told them it was his birthday, and they gave us a romantic package, with sparkling wine and rose petals in the room and bathroom. They even put some chocolate in a table set ut so nicely, some cigars, We had breakfast in the room, they gave us late checkout, I reserved a table in the restaurant and when we arrived, the table had rose petals in it, a heart shape with petals, candle, etc, Yubelis did an amazing job doing all the arrangements for us, Edison in the parking lot helped me a lot, Luis at the lobby, Jaronis at the restaurant, at the front desk everyone was very helpful. They made it a memorable and unforgettable experience, it is also an amazing location because it is in the heart of the old colonial city, with all the historical monuments nearby, walking distance, definitely recommend this hotel. Thanks again everyone for all the effort

Room Tip: Request a room with a view to the inner patio, overlooking the fountain, and in the backside, the ri...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple