“Colonial Splendor”

Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando
Ranked #12 of 78 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

An excellent place to stay for those wanting a super nice place, a bit of history, and fine dining.
It is just a short walk to some very good resturants, and is located in the colonial area.

Currently the streets are being redone, not an issue if your taking taxis everywhere.

Get a room above the ground floor, street noise can be loud in the mornings, everyone uses their horns here.

Excellent breakfast, bar, and customer service.

Room Tip: Anything other than ground floor.
1  Thank SunandSkiers
DenisMatas, Directeur général at Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the MGallery Santo Domingo Nicolas De Ovando. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

There are newer reviews for Hodelpa Nicolas de Ovando

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My favorite hotel experiences are usually historic locations oozing with character which offer updated amenities, and Nicolas de Ovando fit the bill. We arrived very late after a plane delay and chaotic visa situation at the airport. We hadn't eaten since breakfast and dinner was due to end in moments, but they graciously served us in the lovely outdoor courtyard where breakfast is also available. Service is friendly but definitely slower than you might expect at an upscale hotel. We waited around 25 minutes for sandwiches on our last day. I loved the character of our room, and the pool is a nice place to relax after touring the historic sites within walking distance in the hot sun. The hotel arranged a taxi to take us to Punta Cana. Based on a quick web search I'm pretty sure the fee was not competitive, but we wanted a safe, comfortable ride so we ate the cost and didn't try to negotiate.

We chose the DR for vacation as we like to have a mix of history and relaxation. I recommend a Santo Domingo/Punta Cana combo which includes a stay at Nicolas de Ovando.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Had a blast of a stay. Staff and rooms and exterior facilities made my stay perfect.

The breakfast and other food provided in the restaurant was really good.

I'll come back for sure next time i'm in SD

Dear Madam,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I ended up at this hotel by surprise, accompanying colleagues on a business trip. I stay at a lot of hotels and this one was really special. Fantastic historical hotel that has been well maintained and nicely renovated- so it has the perfect combination of history and comfort. The location is great and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. I would definitely stay there again when rates are favorable- I think sometimes they are high.

Room Tip: My room had a fantastic view of the river.
1  Thank ExPatinNica

Dear Madam,

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Great location! If you are looking for a historic place to stay in the Colonial district, this building is fabulous, the staff is pretty good, while pushing the high end of the acceptable cost/benefit price range. You can walk to unparalleled history, fine and casual dining, and a few coffee shops and bars. Worth the stay!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BlondeSeminole

Dear Customer,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

As someone who works in the hotel business, I have very high standards AND am always seeking unique and different. We loved this hotel for a brief stopover en route to the coast. Amazing historical significance and close to everything you would want to see in Sto Domingo. Also great restaurants near by.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the original building... they date back to the 1600s.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ahirschsohn

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Great location and setting. Clean and spacious. Wifi works well. Staff attitude can be sufficiently unpleasant to take note.

One general gripe that I have with Santo Domingo hotels is their support for the taxi racket of the city where tourists are considered free for the picking and charged up to 3 times higher prices. Prices are never higher than when asking the hotel to book. Fortunately, from the concierge of the hotel, I learned when I askef that the locals call a local taxi service but generally consider hailing a cab on the street less safe. You will have to prompt the reception for this. The recommendation which I used was Lino's Taxi (809 687 3333) - just remember to ask for the tariffs when booking (through the reception for example) - they are not beyond pulling a fast one on tourists as the concept of tourist rates is well established. For comparison the airport transfer rate quoted by the hotel is USD 40 for both Las Americas and La Isabela, whereas I paid respectively (700 and 1100 pesos - USD 18 and 26) through the taxi service. Similar difference for shorter trips within the city. When arriving at the airport, you are facing a tighter stranglehold on the prices and would have to call and arrange yourself. They do respond quite quickly.

For a hotel to be highly rated, I would expect them to advise and assist the guest in booking at reasonable rates that are readily available (no dominicano would pay the tourist rates).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo