“Great Location! Great People!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel

El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Location! Great People!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I arrived in Santo Domingo on Monday afternoon, the 28th of October. We were checked in promptly and then proceeded to begin our exploration of the city. Eduardo, the person in charge of the front desk, helped us find transportation to a local restaurant. After an enjoyable meal, the taxi driver took us for a ride along the Malecon. Eduardo also helped us arrange a tour of the Zona Colonial with Blue Tour Services. No matter what our requests were, the staff was more than willing to help us. If this is an example of what Dominican people are like, I am very impressed.
The hotel is very historical. You can view a wall of photos of the famous people who have visited or stayed here. I broke away from my touristic activities to read most of the captions which helped me process some of the information that I had read bout the Dominican Republic before I left the states.
This is a hotel that is being renovated. Some of the rooms are old and some are new. So if you want a renovated room, I would suggest that you inquire beforehand. Our accommodations were satisfactory and our room had a balcony which I love. Our stay also included a complimentary breakfast which was delicious.
I have heard some complain on this site about a flock of green birds that like to visit (or maybe live in) the trees in the front of the hotel. I asked the bartender about them and he told me they were little green parrots. I enjoyed seeing them every day and ad actually looked forward to their visits!
All in all, due to its location, and safety, I would stay here again. Viva Santo Domingo! Viva El Occidental Embajador!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

This is a very nice hotel with a very good service and pretty good food. Right now it is been renovated and hopefully soon everything will be perfect like in the old days when princesses, ambassadors, and presidents made of this place, their place.
I enjoyed every day that I stayed in Occidental El Embajador in the Dominican Republic.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights for a wedding. The hotel is nice overall. The pool is lovely. The ballroom where the wedding reception was held was beautiful. The rooms are a bit outdated. Breakfast buffet select is pretty good with an egg/omelette station (mainly Spanish only to place a proper order) The location is so-so. There are few choices of places to eat nearby although there are a few somewhat pricey restaurants within walking distance. The hotel taxi is expensive - have the front desk call an actual taxi company instead. Lots of loud squawking birds in the evening. Best part - scenes from The Godfather II were filmed here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is one of the oldest hotel in Santo Domingo, it is going through a renovation and it is safe place to stay, I like staying here
Excellent breakfast specially if you like or want to try Dominican breakfast I suggest the Mangu and the Avena

Room Tip: You want a room with ocean view
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank mundosully
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I've stayed for 6 six weeks at this hotel and this is my input so far.
Hotel is located near many restaurants/bars (italian, argentinian, spanish, mexican, north american). I think this is a good business hotel for Dominican Republic, great staff service, free internet (better connection than other Dominican hotels I've stayed at but slower than most hotels in other countries: US for example), has many work rooms (a bit pricey though). Food in general is very good and sorted, breakfast buffet has a lot of options, as well as the restaurants and food quality. They have a great swimming pool for those who like to excersise as well as a gym with approx. 6 machines (treadmill, bycicles, etc) and a set of weights.
The one problem I see with this hotel is the rooms. The hotel is under a renovation process, but most rooms are not renovated. The non renovated rooms are/look/feel very old. Old uncomfortable furniture, bed with old mattresses/pillows, very low light in the room (close to none), old bathroom. If you're lucky enough, you can get one of the few renovated rooms (not my case) which are great from what I've seen (from other work coleagues).

Guatemala City, Guatemala
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed at Occidental Embajador for two nights in October 2013. The hotel is nice but the rooms are very old. The shower in my room was broken and I had to hand hold the shower head to take a bath, Overall the hotel is average, no attention to details, nothing special. My real complaint is that they were having some kind of fashion convention and both nights they had very loud music all through the night till about 1 or 2 am. The second night I did not get any sleep because of the loud music and I needed to be up by 3 am since I had to catch a 6 am flight. These kind of events are not compatible with a hotel. Guest need to sleep!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ricardo618
Fontana, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

My stay was good. The newly remodeled room was very nice. All elements worked as they should. And I love the view out the front side of the hotel. The personnel is very people-oriented, from the front desk people to the restaurant workers, to the lobby bar people.
I happened to be there when there was a TV show filming in the lobby a couple nights in a row, and despite what could have been an enormous inconvenience, the lobby bar staff took good care of us.

Room Tip: I like the side overlooking the entrance.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business