“Excellent Royal Club” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Miami, Florida
“Excellent Royal Club”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stay for 5 days and the service in The Royal Club was excellent. I enjoy how the employees give the guest an excellent attention and the way everyone treat you like family. I recommended this hotel for everyone that will like to enjoy a nice place en Santo Domingo, D.R.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Schariar G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

After staying many times in this superb hotel completely renovated with a superb view a vast swimming pool and luxurious park, I really recommend staying in this central place of Santo Domingo. All employees treat you as a king and don't know how to satisfy your wishes. Restaurant's chef Alberto is a must taste; Ask him a special plat or defeat him and he will do anything he can to satisfy you. A real family; If you want no headaches with all this gentle and serving team of the Embajador you can come at any time and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Excellent View to the see and the swimming pool... Go to the royal Club at the 7 or 8th floor you wo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yancris2000
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My girlfriend and I checked in to El Embajador at 9pm after a long day of travel. Initially, we were impressed with the your hotel and its accommodations and were surprised when given a complimentary upgrade to a 7th floor suite.

Our room was very nice and our room service was good. We were looking forward to a relaxing stay in Santo Domingo. In fact, we were considering changing our plans from moving to a hotel closer to the Zona Colonial and instead staying the entire trip at the El Embajador.

Unfortunately, around 7:00 in the morning we were shocked to be awoken by the sound of drilling and construction. We called to the front desk and were told that the staff were unaware of where the noise was coming from. Maria Isabel spoke with my girlfriend and told her that she was unsure what could have been causing the noise. Lo and behold, after 30-45 minutes of investigating the hotel staff finally admitted that the noise was due to planned renovations on the 6th floor.

You can imagine our shock. First at having found out that not only did the staff know about the renovations (after having denied it) but that they knew about it prior to our check-in. Needless to say, we decided against continuing our stay at El Embajador.

As we checked out, we asked the front desk whether there was anything that could be done in light of the inconvenience we had suffered. The staff person said that because the reservation had been booked through Priceline.com, nothing could be done. We then asked to speak to Maria Isabel but were told that she was unavailable. We asked for her to contact us and were told in no uncertain circumstances that she would. In fact, the staff person told us to "trust him" and that he would ensure that we were contacted.

Neither Maria Isabel nor anybody else from El Embajador or Occidental Hotels ever reached out to us.

Not only did we suffer the inconvenience of the renovations, we were lied to by the hotel staff about the origin of the noise and misled about our stay. If we had been informed at check-in about the renovations, we could have decided whether to stay and endure the noise or whether we wished to stay at another hotel so that we could get a decent night's rest after a long trip. In fact, I believe the upgrade was not complimentary at all but was given to us in anticipation of the inconvenience the hotel knew we would suffer. The saying that "it’s better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission" is not true in general and definitely is not true in this case. To add insult to injury, we were flat out lied to about being contacted about the inconvenience. No one ever reached out to us.

I understand that a hotel must from time to time, do renovations. However, we should have be told about them upon check-in. Even if the hotel's policy is not to inform guests about expected inconveniences, it is unconscionable for the staff to pretend that they are unaware of the noise and then to lie to us by telling us they will do whatever they can to rectify the situation and then do nothing.

I have reached out to El Embajador multiple times and they've never responded. That's more disappointing than the noise we experienced. I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank THX-5280
Itze P, Reputation Management at El Embajador, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear THX-5280,

Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to provide your feedback. We really sorry for the annoyance you encountered during your stay. We are committed to providing our guests with an enjoyable vacation and it appears that we fell short of this during your stay. We've reviewed your comments with our management in order to keep our rooms in top condition.

Again thank you very much for your valuable review, if you would like to discuss more details about your experience please feel free to contact us direct at socialmedia@mx.occidentalhotels.com

The satisfaction of our guests is top priority and your experience with us was not the norm for our hotel.We hope you give us the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Sincerely
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

In this hotel you will be treated like family, frienly staff at the same time very professional. That is what bring us back every time we are in Santo Domingo. Don't forget to visit the Royal Club Balcony. Have a cigar there and enjoy the view of the city.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Gjjgarcia
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I Always like to come back to El Embajador excelent services, the renew areas are wonderfull, and the bars and restaurant excellent. We participate in Epifanio Lantigua Touristic Journalism Prize Gala and the dinner was superb.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Edgar L
Pelotas, RS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is a really nice hotel in a nice location not indowntown but kind of close by car
Service is very good and prive is adequate for the quality of everyting
I would recommend it if you are travelling for business or even tourism
We were staying there for a friends wedding and all was really good

• Stayed October 2013
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I have stayed at the Santo Domingo Ambajador approximately 6 months over the past year and several months the previous year. And until a few weeks ago I would have given it a five star. But just prior to my leaving a few weeks ago I had a jade and thread necklace disappear from my room. I reported this to reception on my departure and asked about it again on my return I was told they could not find it. This time It would appear that someone has been drinking spirits in my room and leaving the empties, I have been assured they will not appear on my bill. I was also awakened at 5am the following morning after someone re-arranged the alarm setting. And with the parties and music thumping throughout the night, I have to be honest and say I will be looking at an alternative for my visits next year, which again will be for long periods due to the work schedule. Not impressed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business