Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I had to move from the first room facing the back of the hotel as the noise of some powerful engine outside caused the windows and wall to tremble and made sleep impossible. The second room looking over the front of the hotel was of a good size. The only complaints were the noisy air conditioning and the bathroom. The bathroom consisted of a toilet, shower stall and basin. The shower stall contained one hand-held shower nothing by way of a fixed overhead shower. When you turned on the shower, the pressure of the water caused the hand-held shower to spray water all over the place, including the dry towels. It took me a couple of days to learn how to handle this problem. My colleague who was staying in another room suffered similar problems. For the first two evenings we met at the Lobby Bar after work to relax and chat. On both evenings, we were the only guests in the Bar. After a short while we were forced to leave as some young man was playing the music at such a high volume in the Bar that it became impossible to hold a conversation. I complained at the front desk but to no avail. The breakfast was OK but the restaurants were second rate and, as a result, almost always empty. Generally, the front desk personnel were disinterested and inattentive. If it wasn’t for the good services of the Bell Captain, Susano Perez, we would have moved to another hotel.

Room Tip: One that looks over the car park at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Our room was excellent, spacious, clean and comfy, though we would have preferred a room not facing the street as most mornings were super noisy. Towels were nice and our shower great. We were on the tenth floor in room 1019. Breakfast buffet was delicious, especially made to order eggs and the fresh squeezed juice. We appreciated off street parking and the mini mall around the corner was fun to walk through. Entrance through the Office Depot takes you to a variety of restaurants and chic places to visit including a cinema. We ate at the hotel's restaurant and enjoyed their many dishes especially the pumpkin soup. The hotel hosts a salon, cleaners, spa and many business meetings. We were bit worried reading some of the reviews, but we saw no mold during our five day stay. However there is a peculiar mold like smell that is just about not noticeable because they have a huge fan blowing in the lobby to keep the air circulating. It appears they are on top of any mold conditions and taking steps to eradicate the problem. The staff was very helpful anytime we asked a question and did their best to ensure our stay was delightful throughout. I would recommend this hotel to others planning to stay in Santo Domingo. Across the street on Tiradentes Ave.a few doors down from the pharmacy, we found an upstairs salon that washed and dried my hair for $180 pesos after a day at the beach. I also had a pedicure for $200 pesos. My husband had a massage at the same place but preferred the one in the colonial zone for around 1000 pesos! We ventured to another hotel on the beach in Bayahibe and was happy to return to our above average room in the city! .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela B
HotelPlazaNaco, E-Commerce at Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are glad that your stay at our hotel was enjoyable.

We are certainly working on humidity which is perceived in some areas so that our customers can enjoy clean fresh air.

We characterized the fact of being a downtown hotel in Santo Domingo, so you could enjoy all the businesses.

It would be a great honor for us to host you once again.

Regards,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Our stay Nov 22 - 24 , 2013,,,,BUFFET excellent quality & quantity, & variety. The view was super nice of the pool. FESTIVAL REST. good food , but desserts were poor. BATHROOM very nice decorated & clean, good big towels, soap, & all other. Shower european chic. BEDROOM excellent bed with the cozy european down & super heavy pillows good quality linen. Price is high affordable, but you get what you pay for. Bailoteo every night , program in the elevator. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR BUSINESS & RECREATIONAL

BRENDA

Room Tip: '' Rooms are better with a GOOD VIEW ''
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BRENDA989

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for your comments. It is our pleasure to serve you. We regret that our desserts have did not fulfilled yours expectations, we will be working with our pastry chef on this matter.

We look forward to your next visit.

Regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed here for a week, what a mistake. Oct 28- Nov 4, 2013 - room 510

Here are some facts:
The bathroom was riddled with black mold. There was also mold growing in the A/C unit. My unworn cloths molded during my stay. After soaking what was left with bleach, I still had to discard several items. The sheets on the bed were about a foot short. The pillows were cheap down. I'm a side sleeper and used 3 pillows. There was no luggage rack in my room. I had no hot water for the first three days of my trip. It was so humid in my room that my suitcase gained 4 lbs. water weight. Anything cloth or paper was wet to the touch including bathroom towels. The window in the room was sealed shut. I zipped my suitcase closed hoping that I could keep my cloths fresh. Didn't work.

The hotel staff was either ignorant about the area or just didn't want to tell me where things were or how to get there. On Sunday they closed the bar and restaurant early. I asked the front desk attendant where I could get something to eat. He told me he couldn't help me. It was 11:30pm on a Sunday. There are no instructions on how to use the phone. And no, the person at the front desk was unable to explain it to me in English or Spanish.

That's only most of the bad things. The only good experience I had there was the food in the restaurant was decent and the bed was comfortable but always wet. Property management can comment all they want about how they are "trying to fix" these problems. After staying there, I cannot imagine how anyone gave them more than one star. I read the comments from the property management. They clearly do not walk through the hotel. For the record... My Bachelor’s degree is in Hotel/ Restaurant Management. I couldn't be more disappointed.

Room Tip: Do Not stay in room 510! Just don't stay here. You'll be healthier for it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Josh G
HotelPlazaNaco, E-Commerce at Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Mr. Josh,

Thank you for your most relevant comments. At this time, we have taking immediate actions and removed room 510 from our operational inventory. Major modifications were made on the air conditioning unit and other areas covered in your observations during your recent stay.

We wish to point out there is a standing “DRY LAW” in the Dominican Republic, were the sale of alcoholic beverages is prohibited as of 12:00 midnight Sunday thru Thursdays and up to 3:00 AM Fridays and Saturdays, most restaurants close at midnight. This ordinance applies to all establishments outside Hotels and Resorts. Our recommendations would be to take advantage of 24 hours room service available at the hotel.

Our hotel guarantees that next stay will be a most pleasant experience, please feel free to contact me directly.

ecommerce@hotelplazanaco.com
Hotel Plaza Naco

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Well located in the center of Santo Domingo but with very poor standards.
Very old towells (rags). Poor breakfast.
Poor maintenance (leaks from ceiling in bathrooms with black mold build up under paint). If you are used to basic/normal chain brand hotels standards, this hotel is defenetly not up to par.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank juliojag
HotelPlazaNaco, E-Commerce at Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Mr. Julio,

Thank you for your comments, we wish to emphasize our commitment to making your stay with us a most pleasant experience. As per the points outlined, we haven taken immediate actions to correct them. Please be assured of our intent to correct any situation which may arise during your stay with us.

We take this opportunity to extend an invitation to visit our property once again, we guarantee a most pleasant experience.

Hotel Plaza Naco

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great rooms and service. Very convenient parking lot. Also the location with many bar & restaurant options. Breakfast buffette with made to order omelettes and fresh frutis & juices. Price is OK, but can include some seasonals special rates, maybe in combination with specials in the Restaurant, or the first floor dance bar.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AlejandroErazo
HotelPlazaNaco, E-Commerce at Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for yours comments at this time we are preparing a package which will include discounts at our restaurants and bars.

Please be on the look out for our upcoming discount packages. It would be a pleasure to welcome you once again.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed ay a Casio/hotel when I arrived but moved to the recommended hotel Naco. I had a very nice stay, clean modern rooms, a friendly staff, very good food at nice restaurant. Located
minutes from everything you will need.
Next time I am in Santo Domingo i will stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Flats_Fishing_Miami
HotelPlazaNaco, E-Commerce at Radisson Hotel Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear guest,

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay in with us. Thank you for taking the time to comment. It would be a pleasure to welcome you once again.

Looking forward to your next visit