“Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo

Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo
Ranked #9 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Fort Myers, Florida
“Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Hotel was over all very good & the service & personnel were excellent. However the rooms though very clean require for you to put your room key in a slot inside near the door to activate anything electrical in your room (to conserve electricity). Because of this when you are not in the rooms they get very warm to hot and in a tropical humid environment mold & mildew thrive. The room I was in was very clean but there must have been either mold or mildew somewhere in it because when I would enter the my room I would spend the entire night coughing or sneezing. I realized this 3 days into my stay and I asked to have my room changed. When moved to the new room I felt considerably better. The Restaurant in the hotel for breakfast, lunch, and dinner was excellent. In the Hotel I felt safe as they have Security around the hotel and there is always staff at the front door and outside. The amenities: pool, fitness, etc. were excellent. WiFi in the rooms was spotty but in the lobby there was no problem.

Room Tip: Even though the hotel has been completely remodeled, when I asked for a different room because of th...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Jorge C,

Thank you so much for your review of our Hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It’s something our Staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback and them are on training all the time.

We are pleased to hear that our Ocean front accomodation fullpilled your expectations, given the fact it is one of our major attractions.

We are glad to know that you could get a better room and good stay.

Thank you for choosing us! and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had a great time at this hotel, though it was a little sketchy to walk a block away the hotel itself felt like a temporary home away from home. Amenities were great with the gym, restaurant and pool. Room was clean and view was as good as it could get in Santo Domingo.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Eltigre30,

On behalf of the General Manager and the staff of the Hotel Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, thank you for taking your valuable time to write about your stay with us, it gives us great satisfaction to know that you had such a wonderful experience here at the best Crowne Plaza Hotel of the Caribbean.

Our engagement is to provide a quality service with dedication and courtesy, reaffirming our commitment to become "Great Hotels Guests Love".

We look forward to welcoming you on a future stay in Santo Domingo.

Thanks again for your preference!!!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stay here often because it is the nicest hotel in Santo Domingo. This hotel is going through a remodel at the moment. The older rooms smell a bit musty and make my allergies kick up. The new rooms are very nice with new carpet, paint, and furniture. The bathroom fixtures were not updated but they did repaint and get the musty smell out.

They recently turned off the Ethernet ports in all the rooms and only offer wireless internet. The speed is not great. Their website says they offer two speeds, the higher speed costing more and free to priority club members but when I asked at the front desk they said they only have one speed.

The restaurant is better than average. The food is prepared well and the staff is attentive. They enjoy waiting on you because it is never very busy. The coffee shop in the lobby makes decent espresso drinks but they do not have hours posted and it is often hit or miss on being open when I leave in the morning for my business day.

In general the staff is very good. The folks at the front desk are helpful and will do most anything to make your stay enjoyable.

Note that many taxi drivers in the city will not know where the Crowne Plaza is because until recently is was the Intercontinental.

If you do not want to be bothered by shoe shine boys and beggars when walking to area restaurants CAREFULLY cross the busy street and walk along the ocean side of the street.

The rate I always get includes free breakfast which is pretty good. I assume this comes with all room rates but I am not sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room not on a corner.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank roraniel
Dear Roraniel,

Thank you so much for your review of our Hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It’s something our Staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback and they are on training all the time.

We will be sure to pass your kind words to Food and Beverage Department, about the quality, service and prices. Its our commitment bringing an excellent service to Crowne Plaza Standards.

All areas of the hotel and the structure of the rooms are been completely renewed.

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Saint-Lambert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I travel frequently and stay in hotels almost 200 nights per year but seldom have found a hotel like the Cowne Plaza Santo Domingo which makes me feel so much at home.

It’s a combination of excellent amenities such as the fantastic pool area, the outstanding exercise facility, the great service and extensive restaurant menu, the beautiful view of the Caribbean, friendly front desk staff who always remember your name and of course the super housekeeping team who always respond quickly to special requests. All in all, this is the hotel to go to for relaxation and for business and is a great place to unwind after a long days work. The close proximity of the Santo Domingo Colonial Zone, which is within walking distance, provides lots of opportunity to explore and the live music in the lobby is really welcomed and enjoyable. I would like to especially thank:

• Yaquelin Rodriguez, for ensuring that my reservations were handled the way I like;
• Bienvenido Figerero at the club breakfast area for continued excellence;
• Harvey Zambiano, at the lounge bar for his personalized service and for introducing me to the live music in the lobby which was really welcomed and enjoyable; and
• Jamie Contreras, the restaurant manager, for introducing me to the new restaurant and taking the time to explain all items on the menu.

The hotel has changed some amenities but has not changed the excellence of management and staff and it is this excellence that will continue to bring me back for return visits.

I would like to thank Edward Taveras and all the front desk staff and Yalta Rodriguez and all her staff for making my seven day stay most enjoyable—I intend to return soon.

David Bowman
November 2103

Room Tip: All rooms are great and many have balconies--If you like strong morning sun, ask for a room overlook...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear David B,

Thanks for sharing the good and special service you received at the Front Desk, Lobby Bar, and Restaurant and in each area of the Hotel. Our engagement is to provide a quality service with dedication and courtesy, reaffirming our commitment to become "Great Hotels Guests Love"

Thanks again for your preference!!! and We hope to see you in your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Best regards,
Rockaway, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon. We landed in Santo Domingo but were traveling to Puerto Plata for an all inclusive stay at resorts up there... rather than spend an entire day traveling, we decided to spend a Night at the Hotel Crown Plaza. I wish we would have spent the entire honeymoon there. The people, service, food, views and location were EXCELLENT. Needless to say, we recently vacationed to the Dominican Republic just to stay at this hotel. I can't recommend this accommodation strongly enough.

Room Tip: Try to get a south side view so you can wake up to that breath-taking ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear D3signguy,

Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you soon in your next visit to Santo Domingo.

Best Regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The crowne plaza provided me with the comfort and amenities needed to have a pleasant, relax stay in Santo Domingo. Their staff are is friendly and in top of your needs , during your stay. The ocean view offered by their large and clean rooms, is to die for. The internet service is very good , their powerfull shower will make you to think twice to leave it. The restaurant is very good, but a little pricey. The gym may need an update but is good and complete enough to keep the routine. They have a nice casino as well to relax and try your luck!

Room Tip: Get a nice Ocean view facing the Obelisc to the left of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Traveler40,

Thank you for taking your time to comment about our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received a great service. We will be sure to pass your kind words to the Staff, about your comments and service. It's perfect that you enjoyed in the best Hotel Crowne Plaza of the Caribbean.

We look forward to welcoming you on a future stay in Santo Domingo.

Thank again for your preference!!!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Crowne Plaza on a business trip to Santo Domingo. First the positives : Large room, pleasant ocean view, breakfast was sufficient for me, friendly and helpful staff and good WiFi/internet. On the negatives : There was limited choice in the restaurant for vegetarian meal options and the meal I tried was not up to standard. There are also limited restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. The hotel is also far from the central business area and the taxi ride in the morning can take up to 30 minutes depending on where you need to go. I probably wouldn't stay again if on business but only for this location reason.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ross B
ManagerGS, Guest Service at Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Ross B,

Thank you for your comment and that you have hosted with us. For our Staff is important to offer the best to our customers.

We regret the fact that You 've had problems with your culinary preference, anyway in our menu we have vegetarian dishes.

We hope to see again on your next visit to Santo Domingo.