“Excellent value and location”

Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
Ranked #32 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent value and location”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The Mercure Comercial is the most economical hotel in Santo Domingo that is also quiet, clean, secure, well-run, and (to this traveler) in a fine location. I have stayed there on seven or eight occasions over the past six years, usually for four or five nights at a time. The Accor hotel chain, based in France, took over the hotel's management about a decade ago, and they have worked hard to create and maintain a very good experience for hotel guests. This is certainly not a hotel for those seeking an idyllic Caribbean getaway. It is located in a built-up (though low-rise) Colonial city, has a low quota of public space, lacks a pool, and has relatively small rooms. However, it is scrupulously clean, the air conditioning works well, the restaurant is pleasant, well-staffed and very reasonable in price, and the staff goes out of its way to accommodate guests' needs. There are a half-dozen restaurants within a few short blocks in any direction, where one can have lunch for $10 or dinner for $25, and dine well. There is a very steady clientele at the Mercure, including tourists focused on shopping, hiking or visiting historic sites, volunteer and charitable groups, visitors from other islands of the Caribbean, and other diverse strands. In recent years a number of "boutique" hotels have been established in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone - but I doubt that any can match the Mercure for overall quiet, steady management and reliablity. (For quiet, it's best to ask for a room that looks out on the atrium or light court in the middle of the building; the management can't control street noise, the occasional pop-up discotheque, and the like!)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
H2974, Manager at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor, following your recent stay at the Mercure Comercial.

It is an absolute pleasure to read your detailed feedback. It certainly sounds like you explored the area and enjoyed our Colonial City.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as my team takes great pride in providing exceptional service and it is always rewarding to be able to share praise from our guests.

It is feedback like yours that motivates our staff to provide our guests with the outstanding service the Mercure Comercial is well known for and I would like to thank you once again for your fantastic comments.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Mercure Comercial

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for the final of a three leg trip to the Dominican Republic. First leg, Punta Cana-home to all inclusive hotels and not much else. Second leg, Bayahibe-quaint little town, an excellent hub for diving and all watersports. Third leg, Santo Domingo-I cannot recommend the capital to anyone. I love history, museums, and architecture. Considering the age of the city, I was expecting more historical buildings, in better condition, with museums of at least average quality. I was disappointed on all accounts. It is clear that Dominicans only care about the history of their capital in order to make a buck. The museums have VERY little information and the displays were of poor quality. The zona colonial does not have a large percentage of historical buildings. The food was ok, but considering the low standard of living in the country, I was expecting the cost of food to be inexpensive. Quite the contrary, dinner entrees ranged from as little as $10 us (inexpensive) at very few locations to as much as $40 a plate with $20 being the norm. Drinks were also more expensive than home. Be prepared to fend off a never ending onslaught of pushy people trying to sell you there wares or services. In zona colonial near any of the "attractions" you will literally be approached every 15 feet. It is exhausting. The city is extremely dirty, people using the street as a urinal, etc. I will never be back. This information is being provided as a warning.

As for the hotel Mercure Comercial, the staff is friendly enough, the food is decent, but that is where the positives end. The showers have very poor water pressure with a wandering temperature. One minute it's hot then cold, it makes impossible to be comfortable. The rooms are extremely small. Be prepared to sit off center on the toilet because your knees will hit the wall. I'm only 5' 8". I saw no roaches in the room, but stepped on several in the hallways. Check out was delayed by 20 minutes while the system rebooted. The location is good if you want to walk around zona colonial, but I don't recommend even going their. If you are that curious, a day is more than ample.

Overall a rating of poor is the best I can do.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
H2974, Manager at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Dear Defacto-2:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Mercure Comercial. I was disappointed to read that you found your stay with us to be below your expectations.

I am delighted to learn that you appreciate the friendliness of our staff and the quality of the food we serve at The Restaurant El Colonial, I will share your comments with my team who will be thrilled to hear of your positive comments.

I am concerned to read your comments about the roaches in the hallways, as we always do pest control, something I am looking at with the housekeeping department. In regards to the room size, we do have larger rooms; unfortunately you stayed in one of the smallest in the building. My apologies for the time spend at the check out and any inconvenience caused during your stay.

I was indeed concerned to learn that your experience in our Colonial City was not so pleasant. Please accept my sincere apology. I am extremely disappointed that your impression of our city has been tarnished. Our city is usually known for its valuable legacy that UNESCO recognized as heritage for the humanity.

Once again thank you for your comments.

If you ever reconsider visiting Santo Domingo again, I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you better should you choose to stay with us on your next visit and I look forward to that.

Hotel Mercure Comercial

Travellers are raving about these Santo Domingo hotels

Haiti
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Except for the smoking rooms (which needs some attention) the rest of the hotel including the non smoking rooms are beautiful, neat and clean. The hotel is centrally located in the old colonial town, which places the guest in walking distance of all major places of attractions

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
H2974, Manager at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 3 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your recent stay at the Mercure Comercial. Your valuable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the service that you expected when choosing to stay with us and it is a pleasure to know that you liked the location of the hotel and its services and facilities.

I have noted with regret that you found that our smoking rooms are not up to your standards. Something I will look into with my housekeeping team to make sure we place a strong emphasis on those rooms.

With regards to the location of the hotel, it is definitely our main strength; the proximity to the historical area is very convenient for our guests. We cater for both business and leisure guests and offer the possibility to enjoy the sightseeing; easy access to the city center as well as the pedestrian street where further dining and shopping facilities can be enjoyed.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future to the Mercure Comercial.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The Mercure Hotel is clean and affordable. Jorge, the restaurant's waiter is an absolute gentleman. He is thoughtful and knows the area well. I liked the ways in which the staff attends to the needs of the guest. In addition to great service, there is a grocery store "Jumbo" located one half block away, that will help with cravings for midnight snacks. I will return someday and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
H2974, Manager at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Mercure Comercial. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I am thankful you have chosen to share this feedback through Tripadvisor. In particular it was pleasing to read your comments regarding our staff. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I trust that should your travels bring you back to Santo Domingo we will have the pleasure to welcome you once again. Should I be able to assist you in any way please feel free to contact me directly.

We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Haydee Cruz Director
Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 25 July 2011

2 adults, 1 child age 4. As usual the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. It lacked a third towel, a TV remote control and a pen to take telephone messages but they were brought up on request. Reception and staff were friendly and the breakfast was up to its usual high standard. One tip, if you have small children buy a bag of maize at the supermarket one block away otherwise to feed the pigeons in the square you'll be ripped off.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
H2974, Manager at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Greetings from the Mercure Comercial! And thank you for staying with us again recently; it is always a great pleasure to welcome our guests back. We are glad to receive your valuable comments and we would like to thank you as well for your time into posting yet again another review, our guests' viewpoint is very important to us and so is your positive feedback.

We are all happy to learn that you recognize the friendliness of our staff and the quality of the breakfast served at the Restaurant El Colonial. I have met with the team to discuss the way to improve the distribution of the towels and the amenities in the rooms to avoid future occurrence of the situation that happened to you during your recent stay.

Thank you for sharing your point of view with our readers, we are always looking forward to receive feedback from our guests to improve the service and experience of our very precious visitors.

It will be a great pleasure for me and the team at the Mercure Comercial to continue welcoming you and your family and to have the opportunity of personally meeting you when you are back to the Hotel.

Haydee Cruz Director
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Property was well maintained. Room had a fixed layout which suited my needs to have a work space. Good TV selection of language options. Well prepared breakfast. VALUE was the motive in selecting Mercure. I was well rewarded.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mmi6
H2974, Manager at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Comercial. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.