“Not sure what happened, but they may have lost a repeat client”

Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo
Ranked #32 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Kuttawa, Kentucky
“Not sure what happened, but they may have lost a repeat client”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel three times previously, and my return business is enough to say that I have been happy with this hotel. But something has changed, and after this experience, I'm not so sure I'll be back.

First off, having only one person to do check-in and check-out is not a good idea during the busy season. In the past, there was a second person nearby who would assist the front desk clerk, but that did not happen at either check-in or check-out, meaning that both took some amount of time.

Secondly, I have always booked this hotel with breakfast included and did so this time. The young man at the front desk at check-in refused to double check or listen to me when I told him that I had specifically booked with breakfast. He told me that I could pay for breakfast, but that was it.

Thirdly, upon arriving at the room, I found that it had a very strong mold smell. I went back downstairs and asked for a room that did not smell badly. The next room smelled better, but it was not easy to find and the air conditioner was very loud, with a sound that brought back memories of my grandmother's washing machine. I wanted to ask for another room, but given what I received after asking to be changed, I was afraid what the desk clerk was going to stick me with next.

Thirdly, the air conditioner only operates from one extreme to the other: all cold or all warm.

Fourthly: even though I stayed two nights, there was no room service: the bed was not made up. That may be because the room is so far out of the way that even the maids do not know it exists.

Fifthly, I tried the internet in the front lobby, but it wouldn't work.

Sixth: the security is not nearly as vigilant as I have noticed in the past.

And finally, check-out took extra long, as the front desk is understaffed.

I hope they get their act together quickly, as I enjoyed this hotel before. But with so many options in the Colonial Zone, without the breakfast, there is no way I'll be back to this one.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a change, as the front desk clerk will give you a worse room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Stan P
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Puryear 27,

Thank you for taking the time to comment your experience. I will comment with the team each step of your writings to make sure that we will improve the quality of service. The only thing I can tell you at the moment is that we had sick people in the reception team and this has been a problem ; it is not a standard procedure.

Do not doubt in contacting me for your next stay, it will be my pleasure to meet you in person.

Best regards,

Pierre Bignalet
Director.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Hillside, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed at this Hotel for 11 Days Quite nice hotel a few Ants in room but the manager took care of that..
I invited a stranger i met at the club it was a saturday night i had a lil too much to drink but my sober friend was right by my side even in the hotel room ..
Turns out the guy was a prostitute and demanded money we told him to leave but he un -plugged the phone and pin my friend to the wall and demanded yet again money and started to grab my cloths and watch etc. then ran out i plug back the phone in called front dext so they could be aware of what happen so they could hold on to his ID and call the cops . 10 minutes calling no answer .
I was scared to go in the hall way to go to the lobby thing he waiting out there for me . finally after 15 minutes no answer from front dext i went down i saw the security guard on Facebook Chatting and the Night manager was in his Office lights off but i could see him sleeping . I told him i was just robbed and my friend was assulted but he spoke no english my friend started to translate telling him in spanish what happing and he told my friend that , thats what i deserve for letting Burgarrone (prostitute ) in my room.. i was so mad he even said that any way i went back to my room woke up the next day and report the incident the Turn out the Night manager gave his version of what happen that night lied that me and my guest was very load and angry and i never called the front dext..
The hotel is very un safed i could have been killed that night and the Staff that night did not care..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank jermaine l
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

paid about 80 dollars a night, my flight was delayed and called to see if I could move the days but they say no, arrived on my last day of my reservations, the rooms was dirty, no hot water, the safe did not work and the worst part of it: the smell of mold which is not safe at all, complained at the front desk and they told me they were sorry and that will report back to mgmt

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Travellers are raving about these Santo Domingo hotels

Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

If you want to stay in the historic zona colonial you can't find a better place in santo Domingo. The rooms were clean and the stay was very friendly! You can hear street noise in some of the rooms but overall it is a great hotel and value.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BunnyMR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

It is a basic hotel for a good price. After some negotiation we booked our room for 55USD/night without breakfast. There is nothing authentic about it though. The location is great for a tourist who wants to visit places in Zona Colonial during the day and a comfortable sleep for the night. Avoid rooms at lower floor facing the streets since it can get too noisy at nights.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara S
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

The pros for the Mercure are it is located in the Colonial area of Santo Domingo, so it is convenient to tourist stops and there is relatively good security. The cons are the hotel needs to dramatically improve internet access which is poor in the rooms. You have to be in the hallways or lobby to use your computer or PDA. Some investment is needed there by Accor. Fairly priced. I stayed on 4th floor so I did not encounter the smell issue described by others on different issues. The staff was friendly and the daily breakfast is good, but do get a package that includes breakfast so you are not hit up with the high ala carte price. Also the menu does not feature the classic Dominican breakfast, Mangu, eggs, longaniza, (there is the fried cheese) - How can a hotel in Santo Domingo not offer the traditional breakfast? I think with some improvement and investments, the Mercure can become a good value hotel for that area of Santo Domingo and the business traveler.

Room Tip: Fourth Floor rooms seem to be a good choice in terms of cleanliness and freshness.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
H2974, Director General at Mercure Comercial Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Ambassadortm,

Thank you for your comments and indeed, we are considering a rennovation quite soon.
We are working in a friendly atmosphere here and I am glad that you felt it!
As for the breakfast, the Chef goes changing dishes and we often have mangú for instance. We will check what we can improve on that side for short stay Guests.

Best regards,