“Worth it!”

Cuisines: Italian, International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had passed by Vesuvio on several previous trips to Santo Domingo because it always seemed to be empty and I'm leery of empty restaurants. After getting tired of other options, one night I just went. It was pricey but let me say, it was worth it!

The seafood cassoulet was not a true cassoulet but I think they just called it that because what else do you call a dish that marries all the best things that come out of the sea? Half a langoustine lobster, clams, oysters, calimari, whitefish, shrimp, octopus, scallops - everything except crab! The seasoning was superb, the staff was flawlessly attentive (the upside of an empty restaurant, I guess). The dessert trolley (yes, it was a true old-school dessert trolley and HUGE) was tempting but I was too stuffed. My only regret was not saving room for dessert, because it looked amazing. But, I've something to look forward to when I go back!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The food is excellent. Decent prices. Seafood is the choice to go with. My slelections have been fish & shrimp. Appetizers are great!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great location. Excellent menu choices, an incredible dessert cart of irrestible temptation. Friendly staff. Met the owner who is a friend of my lunch guest and the family has been running this restaurant for more than 50 years. Dine here and enjoy.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We came here on the first night of a week long business trip. They were able to accommodate our party of 10 easily. The waterfront location was lovely. The service was very friendly and efficient.
We ordered several appetizers. The standouts were the fish carpaccio, the ceviche, and the grilled octopus salad. I ordered seafood rice as my entree. I enjoyed it, and the portion was huge. Everyone enjoyed their meals.
It was a little pricey, but the experience was positive.

1  Thank uclatraveler9
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is the best option for those situated near it, but I would not go out of my way to dine here. My appetizer (onion soup) lacked flavor. My main (creole blue crab and shrimp) contained conch as they ran out of shrimp.

The service left a lot to be desired.