Hodelpa Caribe Colonial
US$120
US$229
US$204
  • Breakfast included
Antiguo Hotel Europa(Santo Domingo)
US$90
US$81
US$137
US$127
W&P Santo Domingo(Santo Domingo)
US$108
US$152
US$130
Travelocity
  • Pool
Casas del XVI(Santo Domingo)
US$403
US$378
Hotels.com
Hotel Villa Colonial(Santo Domingo)
US$120
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Acuarium Resort Hotel(Santo Domingo)
US$77
US$65
Hotel Aladino(Santo Domingo)
US$85
US$81
All reviewsoffer wifiel condeplaza colonhall noiseboutique hotellovely boutiquehistorical sitescheck in was easyclose to the hoteldaily breakfastsister hoteldominican republicwalking distancerooms are smallnight lifeenjoyed my stayyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed this hotel because 1) in a colonial zone, 2) with breakfast included, 3) looks nice in website, 4) affordable. We stayed there for three nights (My daughter and I). We also read negative reviews so set our expectation not so high (and I was right).

We arrived late around mid-night (flight delayed). We stayed in a white room on the highest floor (4th floor). Contrary to many people complained that the White room was very small, our White Room is, in my views, an adequate size (#406), it is clean and has a specious bath room. Also a room is facing a quiet street. Very nice.

However,
1) there was no hot water from shower, I asked for help but a guy could not fix it. The hotel asked us to change to different rooms, but they were either smaller, facing in a busy street or had water problem too. (Finally he was able to fix it but it was almost 1:30AM. We were so tired and complained.
2) we requested a non-smoking room, but it was a smoking room (with an ashtray) and strong smell of cigarette. But we realized smoking rooms are nicer and much spacious. We ended up staying in a same room by asking spraying to eliminate cigarette smell.
4) Very strange (toilet) smell from bathroom.
5) While in my booking the room has a coffee maker, there is none. A room attendant forgets to put towels many times.
6) the hotel's safety box has a charge. Though minimal, I was a bit perplexed.

Next day, I complained to a duty manager and he apologized. He promised to address all issues. Except the coffee maker, all issues were resolved and he gave us a fruits as a gesture of his apology which was very nice.

The breakfast is more than adequate. Now many hotels in a colonial zone are not offering free breakfast anymore. That's why I selected this hotel, and I was right. People are also nice.

Except the first day, I did not encounter any problems. The location is very good. Of course no pool, no balcony (in our room - some rooms have), but it is still value for money. We stayed in a Hostal Nicholas de Ovando for one night but the room size was almost same as this hotel.

I recommend this hotel strongly.

Room Tip: Higher Floor, unfortunately smoking rooms are more spacious and nicer...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank doranobi
Reviewed 15 September 2013

PROS: Great location. Nearby everything. El Conde right at your doorstep. Comfy beds. Felt clean and relaxing. Bikes loaned for free.

CONS: Rooms are very small. Views from balcony show nasty rooftops nearby. Frequent power outages. WiFi is really bad. Language barrier could provide some issues.

After an extremely long flight, I arrived at the hotel exhausted and ready for a nap. However, my room had been switched without my knowledge to a smaller room that was higher priced. This was not sufficient and in my exhausted state, I went back and forth with management for a remedy. I was left with no choice but to stay in a tiny room I didn't like for 1 night, however management did provide a comfortable alternative the next day to make my trip better. Jacuzzi was broken, water pressure in the shower was poor, but the staff seemed polite and helped make an awful start to my trip turn out to be a quality vacation in the end.

Room Tip: Spend a few bucks more and get a suite for space and comfort. The standard rooms are too small.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had an average experience in Hodelpa Caribe Colonial. The service was good, there's nothing to say about that at all, no complains in that level. I didn't like the food and the fact that there's no parking, and no swimming pool wasn't interesting. Beside that the location is great!!! In "La zona Colonial", once you are there all the activities are walking distance. All the night clubs, lounge, cigar shop, restaurant are close, no need to rent a car or take a Taxi. The experience was interesting.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This is where we usually stay if we have to stay in Santo Domingo overnight. And again a very nice and friendly service, glass of champagne is served when you arrive, by the way it is very very good :)
We are not really breakfast people and usually don't eat much in the morning, but the selection at the buffet looked good. From cold cuts to eggs and sausages, yogurt, cereals and fruits. We just had coffee / tea and some buns.
The checkout was fast, the only "problem" was that our car was blocked at the hotel parking and had to wait for the personal to move other cars. But that was maybe 5 minutes. If we asked before heading for the morning coffee we wouldn't wait at all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Hodelpa Caribe Colonial is a decent hotel, located right in the heart of the colonial area in Santo Domingo.
You can walk to all the historical places in a few minutes, is perfect for those looking to visit the area, good restaurants are a few blocks away as well.
The hotel itself is decent, nice staff, decent breakfast, room are ok for a few nights, free internet.
I usually stay there for business and in some occations for a quick gateaway.
Price is affordable.