“Everything about this hotel was great”

Hotel Conde de Penalba
Ranked #22 of 78 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Houston, Texas
“Everything about this hotel was great”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed here one night on our way into the country, then two nights on our way out of the country. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and spoke multiple languages. They gave us advice where to go, how to get there, and what places to visit. If you ask, they'll call an inexpensive taxi for you!

We had an inside room and although it had a window to the hall, there was no noise from the street. We were asked what type of room upon checkin, and opted for a quiet interior room. The room itself was comfortable and clean, although the hot water in the shower had a trick to getting the water hot (turning the handle/valve just so).

There are many shops and restaurants and historic sites within walking distance. There is even a small grocery store close by. Overall a great location, close to everything we wanted to see.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ztagirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This hotel is very clean with a 24 hour reception and private security. The staff are very knowledgeable and the cafe downstairs is quite continental. The building is well managed and the location is fantastic. There is a DR tour center a few doors down; Hard Rock; Segafreddo; public plaza and oldest church in the Western Hemisphere.

The rooms are basic, but very clean and there aren't any toiletries. There is a small safe in the room and the AC And water work superb. If you travel and spend a lot of time in your room, I'd say go to the Mercure. But, if you like to meet people and be in a great locale as a starting point for excursions, this really is the place. Avoid the taxis on the corner because they charge double; but, the hotel staff can call you a hotel and tell you more or less how much you should be charged in pesos for your particular destination.

The cafe food is very good; drinks are good and prices are average. You can spend about $7-10 bucks on a meal. Or, less if you don't eat that much. The cafe staff are kind, but rather slow...so be patient. People watch...

Room Tip: The third floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank jjalmodo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Best thing in this hotel is staff - special thanks to Nury Martinez who arranged transportation from airport to hotel and helped us to get the large top floor corner room with balcony. Any question or special request we had during our stay, she was always ready to help us. -A&J-

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Angie V
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 31 December 2012

This seems to be a nice if very basic little hotel in many ways...in a perfect location right on Christopher Columbus Park. The attached restaurant, indoors or outdoor on the plaza has pretty good food from what we can tell among the limited things we have tried, and seems to be a central gathering point. So the good news is it is in this central location...and the bad news it is in this central location. We checked in Christmas eve which is apparently party time in Santo Domingo and the noise absolutely could not be blocked with closed windows (which I hate but sometimes must resort to...) or the AC on high. It really was quite horrendous between party-goers, car alarms and the cab driver who played very loud music beneath our window all night.

My advice (if you are not party people) would be to stay elsewhere on holiday weekends and/or bring ear plugs but not to discount this hotel altogether. Very nice staff but nevertheless we moved to a different hotel for our next two nights in the city. I think young people out for a night of fun might feel differently...then it could be perfect.

Room Tip: As for a room away from the plaza and make sure you have a window.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Roresand
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Santo Domingo is very lovely city and I like very much.
This hotel is in the good party and bar location but more designe for budget tourist.
We stayed other hotel earlier, and second week we found this hotel got good reviews here so we tried.
When we arrived they lost our booking and said they are fully booked. We showed our booking paper and they organized one room after long discussion.
Room looked ok but dark lights and very dusty. I can feel they haven´t clean the floor for a while. I could be sure about not good cleaning because towels and linen are also darty and have some kind of stain every day even after they changed...
The annoy thing was second day, they said to us we have to pay more because our room is more expensive one. I don´t believe so because we booked the room with balcony and whatever they said they did double booking by themselves. I feel like they did lost our booking on purpose.
Paid 80USD for this categoly and get bad service and darty towel...? I don´t like that.

About popular restauran downstairs, they also tried to cheat me with the price. I´m Asian and by myself that evening. They do not show the price for drinks so I asked for the price to make sure. Waiter wrote for me on the paper, then when he brought the check price was higher.
I don´t speak much Spanish but I complained. They said `Oh, amout is so small !`
If it small, why they give me the price which they wrote for me earlier?
It was not nice attitude.
Anyway it is good place who want enjoy late evening with cheap price.
There are many nice hotel around here and we moved now.
I do not choose this darty place ever again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TAK24
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I had room 402 who is a little bit more expensive but it is the room has a balcony and the greatest view. Spacious and two double beds. It has airco, cable tv and a minibar. The bathroom was nice and had warm water.
Staff was very friendly and always enjoy to talk to you and give you information. they also let me stay in my room one hour longer. They have an pc with internet but it is 2 dollar per half hour and slow. Better go to a internet place in calle de conde where it is much cheaper and faster. Two blocks away there is a Jumbo supermarket where you can stock up on beers and rum (and food). The hotel can arrange a reliable driver to pick you up the airport or bring you there. From your balcony you can see the city life. Accross the hotel in the park people play domino or wander around. You are like 100 meter from the oldest church in the Americas. On the corner there is always a police man checking so it is very safe. Hardrock cafe is two buildings away. Some nice restaurants are also 100 meter walk. At the square official tourguides are waiting if you like a guide. Taxis also stop in front of the hotel. The restaurant downstairs is good to watch people and have a cafe and breakfast. I found the whole area very safe. There is police on the streets and also hotels and bancs have security staff. You wont see much motors on the streets. I walked the whole area alone and also to malecon alone and safe. At night I also walked around the zona colonial. For sure until 12 I saw police man round the parque colon. Otherwise take a taxi who are cheap. You can walk kinda everywhere in the colonial zone.
The hotel is old and may need some small maintenance. I had not problems with sleeping or the noise outside. if you close the doors you wont hear a lot. in general this is the place if you want to feel the Zona Colonial!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Curtraveller
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This classic and historic hotel occupies the absolute best location within the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo - directly across from the park and cathedral. The first floor of this hotel is a restaurant that joins a very popular outdoor cafe. All of the staff are attentive and friendly. I would recommend one of the larger double rooms - 2 queen sized beds, high ceilings, large balcony overlooking the park. Adequate bathroom - plenty of hot water, and great A/C. Fairly extensive menu that's reasonably priced. The lobby is on the second floor (and invisible from the street). From either your balcony or the cafe it's a people watcher's paradise - and made extra special by the courtesy of the staff. For $40 the hotel will have their taxi waiting for you at the airport. Obviously I'm going to return. Pay the few extra dollars for a double room and balcony. You're not going to regret it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo