“Perfect For A Weekend”

Ranked #66 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Sacramento, California
“Perfect For A Weekend”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I spent a long weekend in Santo Domingo taking a holiday from working in Port-au-Prince. This hotel was great due its proximity to the waterfront, without being in a very noisy part of it. The hotel is also located relatively centrally in Santo Domingo, so you can walk a reasonable distance in any direction and find something interesting.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel maintains the original "family home" feel of the buildings original purpose, and the jacuzzi on the roof is a saving grace from the Santo Domingo heat and sun. Granted, I don't think the jacuzzi was on or even plugged in, but that didn't stop me from using it every night.

Overall, good value for they money, friendly place to stay, quiet but not so far away from interesting activities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Caleb D
Thank you for your comments, we look foward to see you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed three nights here to start our DR trip (Dec 6 - 22). The staff helped us get settled in the country by providing phone cards for sale, directions to nearby restaraunts and shopping, etc. The desk clerk, Jorge, was very polite and patient working with our basic spanish skills.

Breakfast in bed every morning was a nice touch and the value ($35/night) is pretty good for being in a reasonably safe neighborhood close to the Colonial Zone. I would happily stay again, it's a good home base to either check out Santo Domingo or relax and use wi-fi to plot out the rest of your trip.

Also, it's on the ocean block ;)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank provotrout
USA
Reviewed 16 September 2013

If you are used to the Ritz then this hotel is not for you. However, if you like a good deal then you can't go wrong. The hotel offers A/C rooms with in room safes, hot water, and clean rooms. The usual rate is between US$40 and US$50 per night. For the location it is a very good deal. Only a short cab ride away from El Conde and the Colonial Zone. A block off the Malecon. A nice breakfast in the morning.

If all you really want is a clean room, in a safe place, for a night, then this is the place for you. Oh, and there is no pool or fitness room. There is a Jacuzzi on the third floor, but it only has cold water.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank UsaTravelman99
Europe
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This place is a dump - however it provides value for money as it is cheap and well located (right next to the sea and the "promenade")

Santo Domingo is underdeveloped: anywhere else in the world the beachfront (well, no beach - rocky shore) would be full of restaurants, bars and hotels - however here there are hotels, spaced widely apart, and some cafes, again spread widely apart. So while not exactly a "prime" location, this place is at least next to the waterfront.

Room types vary here. I saw one room (on the same floor as the hot tub) which was quite nice, with big windows. My room was on the ground floor - very old, badly maintained (sink hanging off wall, shower taps loose, single power socket about to come out of the wall) and dirty. The room did have an in-room safe, though.

Breakfast was juice, coffee, a toasted sandwich (processed cheese and ham), and a little bit of fruit.

In summary - if you want to be steps away from the waterfront cheaply, stay here. Otherwise, there are better options.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dand9999
JuanGautreaux, Owner at Maison Gautreaux, responded to this review, 22 May 2015
Thank you for your comments, we now have safe box in every room and we habe fixed all the rooms in the ground level.
We hope to see you again

Travellers are raving about these Santo Domingo hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed here for two nights in May 2012. The building is lovely, with an upstairs outside patio where we sat in the evening and smoked cigars. The rooms are quite basic but clean and very good value for Santo Domingo. The highlight was the food: the free breakfast was a ham and cheese panini and a huge pile of fresh fruit, plus what might have been the best cup of coffee I've ever had; the coffee was free throughout the day too. The staff were friendly, although they didn't have much English. It was a 20 minute walk or so into the colonial town, which felt very safe. Walking further out to get dinner one evening started to feel a bit sketchy. H

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter W
JuanGautreaux, Owner at Maison Gautreaux, responded to this review, 22 May 2015
Thank you for your comments, we look foward to see you again, now we have english speaking staff to serve our visitors better
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed in this hotel total 10days ( This is the closest hotel from my working place,so I had no choice). at the first day I stayed in a romm with very very small window which I can not open and no sunshine at all.So I left to other hotel near by. That was a night mare, so I came back to this hotel. and ask for a room with sunshine. I tried some rooms and finally I got really good room!

Break fast was good. Panini/hot sandwitch with cheeze and ham, and juice and coffee. assorted fruits , and yogurt(not every morning with yogurt,,but)

So I suggest you not to reserve a room and just come to this hotel and decide depending on what room you get. This is the best way to use this hotel. They have many rooms and no much guests so no worry if they had no room( it would not happen.).
Location is not good for everyone , (for me it as grate,,but for tourists who want to go to Zona Colonial ,20~25minutes walk. Around this hotel nothing but casinos,,,there are 4 casinos in a short distance. so for a casino players this is a good hotel!
Also those who want to stay in Santo Domingo for longer than 1week, this hotel gives you a better price. To negociate this also no make reservation,just come!

Room Tip: Just no make reservation.and come and have a look at rooms. If you have reservation, they will push...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Maguder D
JuanGautreaux, Owner at Maison Gautreaux, responded to this review, 22 May 2015
thank you for your commnets, we look foward to visit us again
UK/Spain/New Zealand
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I was a bit disappointed when I arrived as the hotel did not look as nice as the pictures on the website, and I expected more for the price. My room in particular was very dark and dingy. I had a problem when the electronic lock on my door broke and I couldn't get into my room for half a day, but the staff were nice about it and moved me to a bigger room on the top floor as compensation for the inconvenience - the upper floor room was much nicer! I didn't get wifi in either of the rooms and had to sit in the lobby to work.

Despite a sign outside that said "bar and restaurant", the man behind the desk looked confused when I asked where the restaurant was, and said they only served breakfast. I then noticed a very old sign saying the restaurant was under renovation... apparently that has been the case for a while!

The hotel is pretty basic, not as flash as it looks on the website, but the staff were very nice and helpful, particularly the guy who worked the evenings and nights.

The hotel's location is good, a stone's throw from the waterfront (though you can't see the ocean from the jacuzzi, as they claim on their website!) and about a 15 minute walk from the colonial area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are very dark, upper floor rooms get more light. Also check for fans, hair...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank orphanpiglet
JuanGautreaux, Owner at Maison Gautreaux, responded to this review, 22 May 2015
Thank you for your comments, we habe fix the wi fi signal and now you can connect in all floors with the same connection, and strong signal, also we have change all locks for new electronic locks that open with a codified card so we can have registration of who enter the rooms and when.
we look foward to see you again