“Nice hotel”
Review of Maison Gautreaux

Maison Gautreaux
Ranked #63 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days and 4 nights. It was always clean and the people were always nice. And best of all, many of the front desk spoke English! The location is good it is accessible to alot of casinos if you are into that. I didn't get a chance to visit any. The rooms are a little on the small side but not uncomfortably so. I would definately stay there again.
btw- those of you looking for luxury this is not the spot for you. if you need a nice clean and inexpensive place with friendly, helpful staff then this is your kinda place.
Thanks to Emilio, Eddy, Juan and everyone at MG that made my stay pleasurable and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank ediane423
JuanGautreaux, Owner at Maison Gautreaux, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2015

Thank you for your comments, we look foward to see you again

Reviewed 17 May 2009

The cleaning lady and the waitress were very good. WiFi in your room very good. but that was it.
The room: the TV was broken. The shower did not drain properly (very disgusting)
The Hotel: the front desk person and the security guard were asleep on the couch and chair by 1am. it felt awkward waking them up every time i needed to go out and come back in. and it took a lot to wake them up. once i was tapping and yelling for 5 minutes.
and this is why i will never go back!!! when i was checking out they used the oppurtunity to try and claim i owed them more money. first they claimed it was for a 5th day then they said i was charged the wrong rate. I'm trying to leave to catch my flight and they hold me up for 20 minutes in an attempt to rip me off. finally a lady comes out of the back and says there was no problem that their computer was wrong. no apology!
And that story about the computer being wrong was BS!! 2 days earlier i asked how much did i owe because i ordered some room service previously and i wanted to pay up. at that time the computer was correct! do not do business with people who will try and rip you off

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank crimopolis

Thank you for your comments, and i apologise for what you are writing, we have seen your comment and solve the issues that you say about the security guard and the people from the lobby.
We hope to see you again and tell us about the better things that we have done.

Reviewed 9 April 2009

I stayed in Maison Gautreaux for one night. The staff and the owner went out of their ways to make my stay comfortable. The included breakfast was very good too. The only problem I had was the door kept banging loudly till late and night and started early in the morning. I told the owner and he said he will fix that. Great place to stay if you are on a budget and want to stay in a very safe, clean and friendly place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo

Thank you for youe comments, we have fix the door the next day.
hope to see you again

Reviewed 17 November 2008

Shortly:
1. We are backpacking pair travelling on our own, age about 50 each (100 together (!)), Denmark.
2. Spent 3 nights in the hotel 22-25 of October 2008.
3. Staff friendly and nice, smiling, and trying be helpful.
4. Room clean, some details broken (windows closing, bathroom equipment, etc.)
5. Great location, Colonial Zone starts about 10 minutes walk from the hotel, the sea visible from the top terrace.
6. Fast check-in and check-out.
7. Relatively expensive breakfast and acceptable price for dinner or drinks.
8. Staff acting in Latin American way - they promissed get to work top situated 'public' Jacuzzi but it never happened during our stay. They are also lovely hopeless if asking for small room improvement as missing toilet paper - of course, finally we have got it from main reception man (probably secondary director).

Summary - strongly recommended however some cheaper options available if you f.e. ask about a room in tourist information in Santo Domingo - then unregister room costs 8 USD per night (we could not be so lucky booking from Europe).
Our payment was 10USD for booking, 2 USD internet transaction and 120 USD with check-out for 3 nights - gives about 44 USD per night, tax including.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IdaandKristof

Thank you for your comments, we look foward to see you again

Reviewed 2 August 2008

I am writing this becuase of all of the mixed reviews I've read about this hotel.

First, I made reservations by calling the hotel directly. When I arrived the staff saw no record of my reservation and I was irritated. So my suggestion is to reconfirm your reservation just before you intend to go. A gentleman by the name of Pablo was the manager (I believe he still is.) Pablo fixed the problem with my reservations and went out of his way to make sure I was o.k. For example, he walked with me around the block to convert my money to make sure I was treated fairly. Secondly, he told me where and where not to eat and one night ordered a pizza for me.

The owner of the hotel is a high ranking official in the national police. He doesn't play with security and an office in the hotel is also home for a security company he owns. You have to remember that this country is developing. It is not yet developed. We as Americans and those from Europe can be very arrogant and xenophobic in our views. You cannot expect mid- town Manhattan for $40 a night.

I was friendly with a guy name Dave from the American military who has been there several times and doesn't stay anywhere else. I will be going again also. I agree that the photos are more charming than the hotel. But if you want a cheap place to stay with good security, free home cooked breakfast , personalized service and a location near beautiful scenery and plenty of action this is the place.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank glp612
MaisonGautreaux, Director at Maison Gautreaux, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2008

Thank you for your comments, we are pleased to serve you

Reviewed 11 June 2008

Nice hotel. Great location between independencia and the malecon, on the next street is a large hotel. Check in was fast and easy, room was clean with air conditioning and fan. Basic room, small balcony with a view, the sea can be seen. Food smelled good. Easy parking on the street. No problem with lights. Well lit. I have been to Dominican Republic 14 times for vacations. I have stayed at the Jaragua, as well as Barcelo Capella and others in Bavaro and Puerto Plata. The front desk was manned by a tall young man, basketball player, very polite. Came back to the hotel very late in the evening, no problem getting in. There is an outdoor jacuzzi on the third floor. Nice place, no hassles, friendly staff. If you want luxury, then pay over a hundred dollars a night for the hilton, embajador or jaragua. For the price this hotel is fine.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank newyork411
MaisonGautreaux, owner at Maison Gautreaux, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2008

Thank you for your comments, please the next time you come contact me, my name is Juan Gautreaux and ill like to invite you for addiner at our new restaurant, you said that the food smells good, looks like you dont try it.

Reviewed 25 May 2008

March was the month I was anxiously waiting for. Made plans to spend time with friends and family...so I went ahead and booked a couple of evenings using "Venere.Com," thinking that their listed prices were a steal--false. Venere offered (40.00 and evening), but Maison regularly charges (65.00 per night)--false advertisement if you ask me. The error on the prices was the first of a few more discrepancies that followed.

We arrived at the hostel, and from what "tripadvisor" displays on their website it was a totally different picture. The entrance to the hostel was dark and gloomy. We were expecting a well-lighted area, a clean concierge and friendly staff--wrong! That was the second discrepancy with Maison. Furthermore, after spending an hour or two thinking where to stay and confirming the reservations, Maison never received any reservations for our two nights. Well, we certainly did not let our bad experience with Maison ruin our night. After dealing with Maison, we decided to rest at the Courtyard by Marriott.

Maison Gautreaux, please update your pictures. You are false advertising your business!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SALSOUL
MaisonGautreaux, owner at Maison Gautreaux, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2008

im sorry for what you have seen at our hotel, but in the tripadvisor page the average rate for our hotel says US$63.00
the rates are as follow:
1 pax RD$1400.00 US$42.00
2 Pax RD$1700.00 US$56.00
3 Pax RD$2300.00 US$68.00
4 Pax RD$3000.00 US$88.00
with breakfast included free wi-fi and safety box

also in venere.com thats the price.
but ill tell you the same to another not happy guests that leave our hotel and goes to sofitel, intercontinental, courtyard, hilton, etc. and is that you cannot compare our hotel with those 5 stars hotels
where you pay four or five times what you pay here.
i recomend you to look things in the correct way and to compare similar hotels not a 5 stars hotel with one low budget hotel like ours.
thank you an let me tell you that if you had stay you wiil be happy to stay.
our photos are the latest and we have never put a false comment.
just check the profiles of the people that put the comments
we aprecciate all the comments, the good ones and the not so good ones because we beleive in the feed back that we receive from the people, that feed back help us to be better. but we can do something when the guests say about something that we can solve not a comparison like the one that you have just make.
about the well iluminated area, 3 months ago we have put 3 spotlights in the front area and the area is well iluminated, i dont understand what you mean about not well iluminated, in sure and i can bet money that our front area is more iluminated that the front area in the street in front of the court yard, and our neigborhoud is safer that the area where the courtyard is located.
anyway if you dont like our hotel, next time you come i invite you to our restaurant to try our food im sure you will like it

thank you for you comments, they help us to get better each day