“You feel at home the moment you step inside the door.”
Review of Hotel Dona Elvira

Hotel Dona Elvira
Ranked #55 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Situated in the middle of zona colonial, the old town, in a building dating back several hundreds of years, tastefully renovated. The foyer hosts a small front desk in a corner and lounge area which seamless extends outdoor into the pool yard.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and made me feel at home.

The pool was emptied the last day of my stay to be refurbished, from what I could see the plastering work looked beautiful.

Extra plus outlets with European 220 Volt power was available at a few places.

Room Tip: The house is old with lots of character, a few of the room (room 2 to 4 I think) have a very cozy sl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 January 2014

The comfort of home combined with historic charm - I loved it here. The staff are amazing and will help you with anything you may want / need. The breakfast is also great! We stayed in one of the rooms with the large bed in the loft and loved the room. It was some of the best sleeps we've had! The property is very well maintained and close to (walking) distance to most sites in S.D., including the public buses. We were staying in Juan Dolio and decided to visit S.D. for the weekend, and it was very easy to get there by public bus. We asked the front to arrange a taxi for us to see a baseball game which was done very easily. I highly recommend everyone to see a game while visiting! the owner came by to say hello to his guests which was a really nice touch. All in all, I'm very happy we found this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Enjoyed my stay in July. Room was clean and staff was friendly and helpful. I liked the
old world charm and modern amenities. Nice breakfast, eggs, ham, coffee and included tropical fruits. Hotel is conveniently located in the colonial zone.
The pool in the courtyard was quiet and relaxing to sit and browse the web because they have WiFi. I will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed here with my team for the last three days of our trip. Has a very rustic charm, and the hotel staff make you feel like a family. Every request for new sheets, new towels, cleaned room, etc. was promptly received and taken care of. Although the pool is not always in tip-top shape, upon request it can be cleaned and ready within five minutes. We really enjoyed our time here, and we would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody staying in Snato Domingo.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We visited Santo Domingo and wanted to stay in old city center in order to be walking distance close to the main attractions.

We choose Dona Elvira due to the very good price over the 4 stars rating on Booking. Also the images on booking are misleading. They make you feel like you go to a piece of heaven.

Actually is a piece of hell. The hotel rooms seemed to be more for hourly ranting rather then city trip. The pool is nice but is not very well maintained. There is no way we could use it. There was an old big mango tree that had lot of mangoes. So there were chances that some of the fruits will go in your head :)

The rooms we got they were "upgrade" rooms. We asked to change the sheets of everything (bed, pillow, etc). We found nice curly hair in the bed so we prefer to have new stuff.

We need to keep the windows closed as there were plenty of mosquitoes. We did killed them all but during night time you had to choose between AC in your head and mosquitoes if you open windows.

Fortunately we stayed only 2 nights and Santo Domingo worth the visit. We found some very nice locals that were guides and they showed us around for a certain price per day. One of them even took us to disco with the locals :). Was really great.

Talking again about the hotel, the breakfast was decent, Actually fruits were great. The coffee not so much.
There was also a "jacuzzi". Was build not bought. However very dirty and felt more like for "pleasure party" then for regular customers.

Also was very nice the entrance of the hotel. A big door directly form the street. When you called the bell somebody would look through a small window and check you out :))

Overall i will not come again and i don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank olimpiu
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We're a family of four, with two infants. We booked the Isabela suite for three days through their own web-site. Since I booked one day ahead and I didn't get the confirmative mail at once, I called them and they assured me that the suite was reserved and wished us welcome.
After a four hours drive we arrived to find out that they had reduced the suite (the two conjoined rooms can be shut off) into a small bedroom with a double bed. No room for a family of four!
We were offered a slightly bigger room with two beds. But the point was to have separate bedrooms!
Asked for the manager, but was only told that he/she wasn't there.
Have read reviews that this doublebooking has happened to other as well regarding Dona Elvira.
No help what so ever to carry all our bags and stroller out and into the car again!
Not a nice welcome to la capital.
Luckely there are other good options:)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Birgitte S
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We were at the Dona Elvira for a week in March 2013. Our room was clean and comfortable with a large window that opened into to courtyard. We had a tv and a wall a/c unit. The private bath was small, but was it was clean and worked fine.

The greatest selling points of this place are its charm and its location. It does not offer the same level of luxury as a 5-star big-name hotel, but I think its charm more than made up for that. It's in a converted 16th-century mansion and centers around a courtyard with a small swimming pool. The pool is shaded by a large mango tree...a net beneath the tree keeps mangoes from bonking you on the head while you swim. All of the guest rooms (I think) as well as the common areas of the hotel open to this lovely courtyard. We ate breakfast in their dining area every morning, and it was breezy and beautiful. And it's an easy, easy walk from tons of restaurants, shops, and sights in the Colonial section of town.

The staff were polite, friendly, and helpful. They do not, however, speak much English. We were there as part of a group, and most of the arrangements had been made for us by local friends, but even so, the fact that I have a working knowledge of Spanish came in very handy.

We ate breakfast at the hotel every day. It didn't vary, but that could very well be because it was prearranged for us that way. I didn't ask. We had coffee, fresh fruit (banana, melon, papaya, pineapple), scrambled eggs with ham, and potatoes. Breakfast might have been my favorite interval of the day...had we not had places to go, I might have lingered with my coffee in the cool of the morning by that courtyard for a long time. They also packed us a lunch one day when we took a day trip outside of town.

If you are visiting the Dominican Republic, this is probably the kind of place you will enjoy if you prefer an international experience that feels local. I'm glad we stayed somewhere that felt like we were in Santo Domingo. If you prefer to have your lodging more familiar and just venture out into the culture during the day, there are big-name hotels on some of the main streets in Santo Domingo, but that would have felt sort of sanitized to me.

Having said that, and reiterating that I enjoyed our stay and would gladly return, let me list a few hints that might me helpful.

1. The safe in our room didn't work at all. I don't know whether this situation might have been easily addressed...we never tried.
2. The water pressure and temperature in the shower were unpredictable and sometimes varied dramatically during a single shower. When we first arrived, the shower wouldn't turn on at all, but they fixed that quickly. There's a dispenser in the shower with some body wash/ gel stuff.
3. On the fourth day of our trip we returned home to discover our dirty clothes were missing. It turned out that the housekeeping staff had taken our laundry bag. They washed and dried our laundry and returned it the next day. The same thing happened to others in our group. They didn't charge us for this service (we never figured out if it was standard or if our friends had arranged for it), but I should mention that a bunch of us were missing a sock or two by the time we left. :) Still, it was nice not to go home with a huge pile of sweaty clothes.
4. They have a cat and a calm, sweet old dog that meander around the common areas. I'm allergic to cats but didn't have any reactions.
5. There's a jacuzzi or hot tub or some such thing upstairs on a little veranda, next to a little shaded sitting area and a couple of pieces of ancient exercise equipment. The jacuzzi is very pretty with its colorful tile, but it wasn't clean-looking enough for me to want to venture into it.
6. Very important--there is no fence or guard rail or anything blocking the pool, which is central and prominent in the courtyard. It would be very difficult to have a toddler around it...you'd have to be on your guard every moment.

Even with all of the above quirks, we really had a wonderful time. If I return to Santo Domingo, and I may, I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple