My wife and I just spent a night at El Beaterio and loved our experience. The staff was very helpful, the room was lovely, and the overall charm of this historic building blew us away. Breakfast was provided and included eggs, fruit, toast, coffee, and a bunch of other goodies. It was more than acceptable.
The hotel is located in the center of the Zona Colonial and in close proximity to all the sights. It's also two blocks from a parking garage (in case you have a rental car) and across the street from a small park.
It didn't appear that anyone on staff spoke English, so be prepared to communicate in Spanish. This wasn't a problem for us and only added to the experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- XVIth century old convent, El Beaterio witnesses the history of Santo Domingo for almost 500 years. Faithfully restored in keeping with the original charm and architecture of its period, this quaint and private hotel offers its guests a unique atmosphere of the inimitable Dominican art de vivre. Nested in the heart of the colonial city, El Beaterio offers eleven coquettish and sober rooms, laid out around a flowery colonial interior patio. Between its stone walls, it’s a peace oasis in the middle of a vibrant and enlivened city. Established in 1530 with the beatas given the task of collecting girls of all ages, Spanish and mixed race, lost on Earth». You’ll find out what a beaterio is, and you’ll learn about the religious figures responsible for its foundation in Santo Domingo. You’ll discover two residents of El Beaterio, Sor Leonor de Ovando and Dona Elvira de Mendoza, first poets of the New World. Since 1990 when UNESCO declared the Colonial City of Santo Domingo as “World Heritage Site”, El Beaterio is classified as “building of documental, historic and architectural value”. In 2016, El Beaterio is officially recognized as Dominican Republic’s first hotel-museum by the Ministry of Culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your El Beaterio Casa Museo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Beaterio Hotel Santo Domingo
- El Beaterio Santo Domingo