“Low cost great location but.”
Review of Hotel Alcaldeza

Hotel Alcaldeza
Ranked #43 of 78 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
“Low cost great location but.”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

On the weekends there are parties/ concerts in the park across the street and it can be very loud... that said its walking distance 2 these concerts. When everybody else is looking for a place to park you have parking at the hotel for about 5 cars. They have singles available for about $30 a night...they are very small but great for the price. WiFi air conditioning and hot water.. I like this hotel for the day or two I fly in or out of Santo Domingo.. No breakfast or coffee in the morning but there are several places within walking distance overall I recommend this hotel for the price. There are three or four other hotels in the area with prices from 35 to 45 US dollars.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Toddxox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I searched for a long time, a well located, quiet, nice hotel and with a good customer service, in which i could rest after long stress journals. This hotel definitely offers all that and more.

First: Costumer service. This hostel is personally managed by its owner Mr. Estevez. Who's truly a gentleman.

Second: Location! I love this place because I really can sleep here. Silence is absolute despite the zone (just one square from Santo Domingo Malecon), near Colonial Zone, Casinos, Restaurants, and more.

Third: Value price-service. This hotel worth every dollar that you pay. Ask always for a room with an private Spanish courtyard and far away from reception counter so you could enjoy a full silence when sleeping.

For all described above and more, I surely will come back once and another time and of course I would recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank ThePeacefulWarrior
Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

My bf and i spend 6 days this month(february) the staff was really charming, we felt good in general, the street is kind of dark and there is not much movement in that area, but all ok. Never felt unsafe. I can recomend 100% for a couple who needs a cheap, clean, safe and comfy to stay.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Dysa07
Atlanta ga
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Once again i stay there in july and it was nice and clean the air condition was working the bath was clean the room was clean, and I got service everyday to the room. The only draw back was that they gave me one price online and pay a different price when I got there which was $10 dollars more but all and all I would always stay because it is close to everything from the park to downtown and to the old colonial area which is good. The casino is close by and good restaurants are close by also. So for the price and location it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Rohawk009
Atlanta ga
Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here 3 times the last time I stayed there the air was not working but I was only there for one night the other times was nice.this hotel is close to all other hotel and casino and other nice places I plan to stay there on my next trip in July, and the price was a good price too enjoyed my stay 4

• Stayed October 2011
New York
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I checked into the Hotel Alcaldeza for the first time, around 9pm. I had been in Higuey, earlier in the day and was a little tired from doing a lot of driving. I drove my car into the secure parking area and checked in. Price was about $47US or 1800 pesos. The room I was given was the second room on the left from the lobby. Pleasant room, nice linens, air conditioner worked great, small refrigerator and a small patio outside the sliding glass doors. The patio area has metal bars above, which is good (to prevent thieves from trying to enter).

Wireless internet in the room, included in the room rate. Coffee, juice, bread included in the room rate, for breakfast.

Hotel Alcaldeza is located on a side street between Avenida Independencia and Avenida George Washington (referred to as the Malecon). The street where the Hotel Alcaldeza is located, runs parallel with the malecon and avenida independencia, for only one block (east-west direction). From the front of the Hotel Alcaldeza, you can see the rear part of the large lighting/lamp store/showroom that is on Avenida Independencia.

Hotel Alcaldeza is about a block from the large Intercontinental V Centanario Hotel. The street where the Hotel Alcaldeza is located is very quiet, very little traffic. There is a large mango tree in the front courtyard, wireless internet in the front patio and the lobby. Around the corner from the hotel is a small grocery store, that is open till 11pm or midnight during the week and later on the weekend. Small grocery stores in the Dominican Republic are called colmados.

I walked to the zona colonial from the Hotel Alcaldeza several times, easy walk.

The owner of the Hotel Alcaldeza is a very nice guy. His family visited the hotel several times and I talked to them, very nice people. I ran into the owner several times, when I was out walking around in Santo Domingo and he always stopped to say hello and ask me how I was doing.

The owner told me he visited Cooperstown, New York (Baseball Hall of Fame) and told me he really liked it, I live not too far from Cooperstown and it is a lovely town.

I have stayed in numerous hotels in DR. I will stay at the Hotel Alcaldeza again. Friendly owner, friendly workers at the hotel. Room was nice, air conditioner worked perfect. Comfortable and quiet room. Secure parking for my car.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank NY_Oak
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 12 June 2011

This is my second review for Hotel Alcaldeza. Since our first stay in 2009, we have stayed here a few more times. In each previous occasion, we have chosen their most expensive room. This time we arrived really late at night and were going to leave early in the morning, so we decided to take their least expensive room just for the night. After a four-hour drive and arriving in the wee hours, we didn't check the room and were too tired to go back to reception a while later to change.

Big mistake! Even for budget travelers that was a terrible room! The sheets were stained and the towels a light blue and a grayish white one were sold old and disgusting, I passed on taking my morning shower. They were just rugs that you would use with luck to mop your floors. The mattress was extremely uncomfortable and there were mosquitoes inside the room, despite being in a room with no windows (at least I don't remember seeing one) and A/C.

I understand we were paying for a standard room, but to me, that meant as it was explained to us, a smaller room, no patio, no mini-bar or refrigerator. That's fine if it is just to sleep, but dirty sheets and towels so worn out that I wouldn't use to dry my dog, that's too much.

The location is still great and the rates are low for a hotel with parking in the Gascue area. We may return for a one-night trip but never to an inexpensive room, and will never pay before checking out the room thoroughly again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple