“Victorian House is Horrible!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Plata
Victorian House Hotel Puerto Plata
Ranked #20 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New York City, New York
“Victorian House is Horrible!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

There is no drinking water or drinks-Reservations is a telemarketing company. This place us to be called Sosua Bay Resort in a few years. It has no water or cold water but plenty of excuses. The hotel does not serve all you can eat or buffet meals-In fact, the only restaurant, which is lousy, is suppose to close at 11pm but the staff closes the kitchen at 10:30pm, so they can catch the last bus home. The restaurant is New Orleans style-who goes to the Caribbean to eat North American food???? And it is horrible.

All days of stay must be paid up front. If you use a credit card there's an 18% fee. Cash is free, but if they have no water, electricity or poor service, then you are out of your cash. The 18% credit card fee is to hinder you from credit card protection, i.e., most cards will return your money for a hotel that does not provide accommodations and you need to go to another hotel. Plus, there is no security and the front desk and security are a 10 minute walk from the rooms. There are no phones in the rooms to call for help or service. In short, this hotel is now called Victorian House. Previous names were Sosua Bay Resort and Topacio Azul Hotel. It has not been called Sosua Bay Resort since 2012. Those here who are praising this poor excuse for a hotel should mention the actual name if they were not staff lying to the public.

Room Tip: Got to another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Earl F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a review for both the Victorian House Hotel, and my husband! I'm almost embarrassed to say that this was my first time visiting a TWC. We've been all over the world together and I've always come to expect the very best in hotels. When he came to me with the idea of visiting a TWC for 10 days, I was genuinely afraid of what was coming. I heard stories of power outages, no hot water, sickness, etc... So needless to say, i took to the internet and tried to find everything I could on this "Victorian House" spot he got us into. I was MORTIFIED by what i saw online. All my worst nightmares were coming true in the reviews on this place! I immediately told my husband to change the CITY, let alone the hotel! But i have to give him credit. He got all sentimental and said that we would tough it out together and make adjustments on the fly if things got a little too hairy. He acknowledged that it's a TWC and told me to stop acting "like a tourist". Afterall, we wanted the experience of the country and to hopefully pick up some Spanish while we were at it.

When we arrived, I thought I got lucky when the cab driver pulled up to the front gate that was locked! Then I saw that he mistakenly pulled up to the wrong gate. Funny enough, the actual front entrance reminds me of the VIP entrance at the Wynn in Las Vegas. Very intimate, personalized service, alot of white and stone decor. Not at all what I expected from the reviews. We even had a private "concierge", the hotel manager, an American fellow, was hands on with explaining the expansion and renovations that were happening while we were there. My natural inclination was to expect the worst. They went through so much effort to explain the property plans during check-in, I though "oh boy", the rooms must be horrible.

I don't know if my husband pulled some strings or the new ownership of this place reads the reviews daily, but I was shocked when I saw how beautiful our room was. It looked brand new inside. We had a Spa Suite, room 2104, (I remember because it's similar to our first home address). We were overlooking the pool/bay. Obviously, the room wasn't comparable to Parlor Suites at the Wynn, but I could honestly say that it reminded me of the Junior Suites at the Doubletree Grand in Miami. Clean decor, modern bathrooms (a necessity for me), and good space to move around with luggage. The jacuzzi looked like it had never been used before us.

We checked in at around 3:30pm so we were not really in the mood to go to the pool. Instead, we just wanted to get a good feel for the city. The hotel manager gave us the skinny on everything within 10 miles of the hotel. He really made the city feel comfortable because he seemingly knew everyone. One call, and he had us connected with a travel cell phone and the number of a personal driver named Ceasar that would become one of our best friends on the island by the time we left. Side note: with Ceasar's help, we were able to visit cities throughout the entire island instead of just Puerto Plata.

After stepping out into the city for a couple hours, we return to the hotel for dinner. Our first dinner was recommended by the hotel manager. We ate at the Cajun restaurant in the Hotel. The food was good but the shock factor was amazing. who would have thought that a trip to the Dominican Republic would yield chicken and waffles! The music was modern jazz and the setting was open-air overlooking the bay. We didn't go for the chicken and waffles, we opted for the Lobster and Blackened Fish. The fish was fresh, the sides weren't great, but the dessert was wonderful. We had the banana pudding. all in all, the restaurant was the best place to eat in the city if you want food to remind you of the states. We ate there at least once a day since they served breakfast as well.

We were told that the hotel rennovations will include private beach access starting in May, but for the time being, we had to walk around the resort to the general public access. It kinda stunk to wake up to the beach but have to walk around to get to it, but after a couple times, we got used to the little shops and peddlers along the route. We even purchased a few paintings and key chains before we left.

According to the manager, the whole resort should be finished with renovations by summer. He even took time out to walk us through the closed side of the resort, (this place is much larger than i expected). I think he was warming us up to buy a timeshare! Don't get me wrong, the property is beautiful, but there were way too many "island girls" there for my taste. Apparently, the hotel is known for a pool party every Saturday and let's just say, I didn't let my husband out of my sight for the entire afternoon.

This hotel gave us everything we needed and most of what we wanted throughout our stay. I can't wait to go back and see the resort after the renovations. I give it a 4 out of 5 because they are still renovating. Eventhough they are fully functional now, there is always room for improvement. If you are thinking about booking here, definitely stay in a Spa Suite and always ask questions. The more we asked, the better we got to know everyone there. I think this place will be the next great vacation resort if they stick to the plan they laid out for us. Kudos to my husband for a chance well taken, and kudos to Victorian House hotel for making our trip memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for a Spa suite if you want to enjoy the view of the Bay unobstructed
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple