“Beautiful place to chill for a day or two”

Tubagua Plantation Eco Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The palm roofed wood cabins nestle into the trees and look out from high in the hills over the Puerto Plata coast line. The views are incredible. We woke and looked out from our bed to see the sun rise over the coast. We ate a very tasty communal meal of a variety of different dishes in the restaurant/bar - which again has stunning views. The owner, Tim, was very helpful and knowledgeable, and planned us an itinerary to go on a road trip around the country and arranged us a hire car. The other staff were also very helpful and friendly. It feels quite remote and peaceful there - a great place to chill after spending some time at the beach. We took a guided hike through the countryside to some waterfalls where we swam in the pools, taking in some local communities and meeting the guide's family. A fantastic experience - well worth checking out!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luke S

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I feel this is somewhere everyone needs to experience at least once. Head into the jungle for the most amazing time. It was so relaxing, peaceful, and beautiful. We met great people because they are like minded. The gentleman who runs the place has done so much for the community and is so knowledgeable. The food is amazing. Fresh juice every day. They really take care of you. You will gain experiences you can't get in the cities. We were able to really experience the culture and enjoy the DR to the fullest. There are really no words to describe it. Start your vacation here and you will gain so much more knowledge and perspective. Then go to an all inclusive and soak it up.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the palapas. They are private and unique.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed a night here while in the DR and it was a nice change from the beach scene. About 30 minutes from the coast, and 25 minutes from the airport, the location is great and offers spectacular views to the coast and sea. There are plenty of nice walks in the area and the locals that live around the lodge are friendly. Tim, the owner, is clearly well known and appreciated by the locals. He is working on a driving trail with a tourist map and that will be a great thing when done. His staff and family were all very friendly and it was all very casual.

The cabins are quite basic and all but one have a shared bathroom situation. The shower is a hoot, with just three walls and the open view (framed by a picture frame) is to the coast in the distance.

Dinner was good and ample as was breakfast. Overall, if you're looking for something unique in the DR near Puerta Plata, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Try and get the room with private bath if that is in your budget. Otherwise the other cabins are al...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We look forward to our visits to Tubagua every year! We have stayed at the lodge for 5 years in a row - we are "the regulars" who keep coming back because we love it there! This is my definition of paradise and every year, we feel like we have 'arrived home'. No matter how long we stay, we always wish we could stay longer. I can't imagine staying at an all inclusive - I would feel like I am missing out on the real Dominican Republic and I would miss our friends at Tubagua.

As a celiac, I require gluten free meals and the food has been amazing and safe for me to eat! This year, my favourite was the home made passion fruit salsa which tasted fantastic on ..... everything!!! Special dietary requirements are easily accommodated without compromising the great variety and taste of the meals! Thank you so much!

The rooms are great! Over the years, I have stayed in the private cottage, in a palapa and in a cute little room. Each one is charming and wonderful in its own way.

The great friends, beautiful views, wonderful hospitality, lush forests, gentle breeze and meeting other travellers from all over the world makes this my first choice travel destination every year.

In case you are wondering, there are no bugs, no mosquitoes, no creepy crawlies! I have seen cute little geckos and once I met a little toad who croaked like a duck. But there are no bugs and for a person that mosquitoes always attack as a favourite meal, I think that is just great! I used a mosquito net the first night I stayed but quickly abandoned it for next two in favour of the lovely breeze and fresh air washing over me every night.

In summary, if you are looking for something "out of the box" that is not an all inclusive, then I highly recommend Tubagua. The people are friendly, the beds are comfy, the food is wonderful and it is a beautiful, peaceful place to de-stress and relax!

Room Tip: If you are a couple looking for a romantic room with a view, then go for the cabin!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RR201463
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was a great spot to get a feeling for the DR outside the beach area. We stayed here for 2 nights in the private cabin and really enjoyed our stay. We ate all meals here and the food was well-prepared (and accommodating for a vegetarian)! Both days I asked for juice and they made it for me fresh - pineapple and papaya.

We used a recommended guide for a 6-hour hike through the landscape to some waterfalls and swimming holes. He was very knowledgeable and we arranged him through Tim for a price of only $30 for the both of us - great deal! I highly recommend the hike - we saw a lot of the landscape, learned from the guide about the DR and had opportunities to try many different fruits from trees along the route, which I especially enjoyed. Wear bug spray if you do the hike!

Note there are no beverages available at the location except for bottled water so you need to bring your own soda, juice or alcohol, which you can store in a fridge provided there. Tim was kind enough to take us to a little store to pick up some things since we didn't have a car.

I did have a massage, which was definitely cheaper ($45) than at a resort, but of average quality. After two days here we stayed at a hotel/spa on the beach where I had another massage for $80, which was much better.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danielleknyc
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Wonderful place to stay, warmly welcomed by Tim, his family and friendly helpful staff . Great fresh food and bananas on tap. Learn about merengue tea and local history. The highlight is the amazing views from the shower and bedrooms...If you want the Hilton stay home, if you want to really get to know the Dominican Republic stay at the Eco Lodge.

Room Tip: This is a trip with a difference.... the beds complete with Mosquito nets are made whilst you are ou...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Get out of the tourist ghetto and see real local life!
If you ever visit Puerto Plata you should absolutely visit Tim Hall and his wonderful place, and use it as a base for excursions around Ruta Panoramica. Here you will learn about the rural life, and see places only few tourists will ever get to. Tim has a number of local eksperts that can not only show you around, but help you getting in contact with local people so that you can get an impression of their daily life.Taste the fresh fruits that grow everywhere, taste coffee that you never will get in a shop,
Talk with people that work hard to dig amber out of the mountains near La Cumbre to get a living.Dine in a local house with autentic Dominican food. Swim in remote pools in the forest for a refreshing experience . Hike in untouched nature so green and fresh.Does it sound to good to be true? Well go see for youself .

Room Tip: Go for the suite, if you want to treat yourself.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple