“Great time”

Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Mississauga, Canada
“Great time”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

great resort, amazing beach, great staff. nightly entertainment was okay. food was good. lots of things to do on and off the resort. very friendly people there.would definitely go back, hopefully soon

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jessica M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Czech first
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed there Feb 19th -26 2014 it was a total let down. The rooms were nothing like the pictures show they smelt like mold the shower barely worked. They barely gave you toilet paper and when we would call the front desk for anything they would never do anything about it. The food well the buffet was tolerable but the restaurants upstairs that you needed a reservation was completely disgusting we actually walked out on our meal it was awful and smelt rotten. The all inclusive alcohol was basically whatever they had left constantly running out of everything could not drink the same thing for more then a few hours. The nightly entertainment was the same staff members dancing on stage the same songs all week long we approached the manager with complaints he did nothing about it anything and basically walked away from us very rudely. The are no water activity at all not one did I see the whole week I was there the place is a total lie DO NOT WASTE A VACATION . The sad thing is we payed decent money for this trip

Room Tip: Do not get a room by the kitchen unless you wanna smell garbage the whole time
4 Thank Meaghan P
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Well lets start with the good, Beach was nice, Bartender at the pool was excellent, Narsico!!!!, now for the not so good, upon arrival waited three hours to get our room, front staff at desk lobby very rude were not concerned at all that three other bus loads of people that came behind us got there rooms before we got ours, food was very repetative, awfull, the a,lacarts brutal!!!, very nice beach but vendors will be none stop from sun up till sun down, maid service was terrible, good luck getting toilet paper or fresh towels, now my wife and i have travelled alot, so we knew going in that a cheapie 1000.00 trip would not be lavish!!, but this was very bad would rate this a two star hotel, the upgraded rooms are not, they do not excist, weather was great, people there are friendly,i guess they do try there best, my advise is pay a little more and go to a four star, because you definitly get what you pay for, we do like the Dominican and will go back, just not to this resort, buyer beware!!!!!

3 Thank Doug C
Tracadie-sheila
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We had a wonderful time at Celuisma Playa Dorada. Nice and clean rooms. Wonderful service, and the animation team were great, thanks to Esmeralda, Daniela, Evelin, Blue, Ester, Radol, Agustin, Jan Carlos, Felix(tochi), Mario, and Francisco (The Animation Team ). The a la carte restaurants were good and the food was great at the buffet.The bartender at the swimming pool is the best. We would go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank willferg
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Just returned from February 2014 vacation with my two daughters aged 11 and 17. I couldn't wait to get home to warn other travelers. I hope people will take this review seriously. I love Trip Advisor because these reviews are from ordinary people with nothing to gain in their commentary. I am taking time to write because I don't want other people to waste hard earned money like I did. First, when I arrived, the room I reserved was nothing like the pictures on the website. This room was covered in thick black mold in all rooms and had leaks in several areas of the ceiling. The smell was so overpowering that my eyes started to water and I couldn't stop sneezing. When I asked for a different room, I was shown another room that was in the same condition as the first, but this one had an infestation of flying bugs hovering around the living room. The third room I was moved to had a spiral staircase leading to the upstairs bedroom. The stairs were constructed of thin plywood tacked on the edges. The center of each stair caved downward as you walked. In addition, none of the light switches worked and all lamps and appliances had exposed frayed wires. Needless to say, very unsafe. We were then moved to what they called a "renovated" room in a different building. This time, the bellboy couldn't open the door without using a screwdriver. He called in two maintenance workers to try to fix the door. After spending over an hour waiting with our luggage, they determined that the door was not able to be fixed and that I would need to "leave it unlocked." I couldn't believe they would even suggest that! We then were moved a 5th time to another "renovated" room. At least this one would lock and I didn't see any mold. Still very disappointing because there were several smushed bugs on the wall over the bed, the furniture was very old, stained, and worn, and the old television was only able to get a few Spanish channels. The partial kitchen only contained a dorm sized refrigerator, no stove top as indicated and the posted signs said the water was not safe to drink. When I confronted the manager about the online pictures, he said those are of a sister property located about an hour away. I told him that this is dishonest advertising and that customers rely on pictures to help make their decision about booking a reservation. He did apologize but did not seem to understand the implication. I also told him that it is unreasonable that I should have to be moved 5 times before finding a room without blatant hazards. The room conditions had obviously shown a pattern of disrepair. After flying for hours on a plane, climbing up and down several flights of stairs with heavy luggage, and being moved 5 times, it was too late to now eat dinner as everything was now closed. I had to pay for one day of "all-inclusive" fees without any offer of a refund. The pull-out sofa did not have any sheets or pillows and the bed only had two flat pillows for my daughter and I to share. In addition, the room did not have any washcloths or towels. When I called housekeeping, I was told that they ran out of sheets and towels but would bring some the next day. My daughter had to spread out her coat to sleep on top of and roll up a pair of sweatpants to use as a pillow. The next day, no sheets or towels were delivered. I called several times and went to the front desk. Finally, at 9:30 pm, we received one set of sheets, one pillow, and one towel. We were told that we would need to share the bath towel. Unbelievable! I called the front desk and was told that two more towels would be delivered...they never came. The next morning I stopped the housekeeper to ask for towels. She said they were in the laundry being washed and that she would deliver them later. When we returned that afternoon, one additional towel was delivered. We now still only had 2 towels for 3 people and no washcloths. I was so frustrated that I hired a taxi to drive us downtown to buy my own towels and washcloths! The bed sheets were not changed the entire week. In addition, the in-room safes (as advertised on-line) do not lock so you have to keep your money and valuables with you at all times. That was a pain especially when going swimming. As for the food, the buffet is open-air so black birds were flying onto the buffet station eating the food and pooping on the tables. They served the same horrible food every day with dried out cake for dessert. The left-overs from the day before were served again with a different sauce added on top. The beef was rancid. It smelled and tasted like meat that had turned brown and rotted after leaving out to long. Horrible diarrhea the whole week. The a-la-cart restaurants were only open certain days of the week and you had to make a reservation early in the morning in order to get a spot because each restaurant only had a few tables. Food listed on the menu was not available and they frequently ran out of food so they would serve us food from the buffet. As for the alcoholic drinks, the bottles of liquor were watered down "as per one of the bartenders" so they would "last longer" and "people wouldn't get too drunk." Well, that was pretty obvious as everyone was complaining. The even ran out of wine and beer. It was such a rip off considering the mandatory all-inclusive fees. I've never had this experience at a resort before! There are only a few activities and the shows are a joke. There's not even anything to do downtown as far as sight seeing goes. The only positive thing I can say is the beach is gorgeous. Too bad you can't enjoy it without being bombarded by people begging for money or hassling you to buy some cheap junk. They don't take "no" for an answer. You also have to fight for a chair as they only have a limited supply and the ones they do have are torn and stained with mold. Fellow travelers, I warn you - DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!! We all work hard for our money and want to enjoy vacation with our families. Hopefully other people will benefit from my mistake.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
17 Thank travelinnurse01
Tumwater, Washington
Reviewed 23 February 2014

If my husband and I could give a lower score then "1" we would. This was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at! We had a superior room reserved for one night. The room had mold and part of the ceiling was falling down. And it was filty! We asked for a different room but they said they were booked. Interesting since many of the tables in the restaurant were empty. The food was terrible. The bottom of the serving islands looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years. Thank goodness we only had to endure this for one night!

7 Thank TumwaterTBird
Granby, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Vacation February 2014

BUFFET:

This hotel as probably been a great resort when it opened, but right now in 2014 it blows....
Not enough variety at the buffet, and food was often tasteless or overcooked. Don't expect bacon at breakfast.... or seafood at lunch or dinner ...the white rice was good... ;) and some time the fish. Beef ??? forget it... you wont be able to chew it down...

A LA CARTE:

The ( a la carte) restaurant reservation are made day by day at the front desk... We arrived on a Tuesday, and left also on a Tuesday which is the only day Italian is open, so we never tried this one. The 3 other one often serve the same soup everyday, Half the choice on their menu are unavailable. Salad bar and desert are the same every time... The only good point of those restaurant vs the buffet is the food was slightly fresher and the service better.

POOL:

Nice pool in the middle of the resort, smaller one for the kid, and chair more comfortable then at the beach!! Careful if it is important for you: (((((((((((NO POOL BAR!!!))))))))))))

BEACH:

The beach is the only strong point of this hotel... Sand was great and clean, water too!!
On the other hand, Chair were really hard to find and need a lot of reparation ... i Once carried chair from the pool to the beach. Their is a lot of vendor on the beach which are trying to sell you stuff.. it can be a pain if you just want to relax quietly!!

ROOM:

Our first room was an old suite who needed a lot of reparation. No hot water ... leaking sink..old dirty bath...No lock on a few doors and windows, Mosquitoes everywhere....... Kitchen was disgusting and if you leave any food in there, insect were infesting it. Sheet of the bed were never changed ... and towel were really often missing..

After 3 days, we switched room. This one was Small but very nice and clean. More importantly, it has hot water!!! The safe of this new room seemed to have been broken into....

FINALLY:

For the price we paid, (680$ Canadian) It was still OK.... but we were still expecting a bit more... I know people are sometime paying this hotel over 900$!!!! this is over payed!!! you could have a lot better then this. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! This was my 4 times in Dominican republic and was by far the worst hotel...

Room Tip: Most of their suites are not renovated, old , dirty and you will probably get a lot of problem, like...
4 Thank Michael G