“Disappointment”

Hotel Beach House Playa Dorada
Ranked #35 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was my second time staying at a resort in Puerto Plata and I must say, never again. This hotel entrance is about the only thing that is nice and of course, the beach is beautiful. The service is horrible. It was an all inclusive but I had no towels, hairdryer, shampoo, etc..in the room. Plus the refrigerator was empty. Really outdated. The drinks were watered down and only a splash. Public bathrooms some were disgusting. I didn't care about the food. The only memories I have is of the friendly staff but this hotel is not worth your money. This is not my experience at Punta Cana at all which says where is best that you go.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Eileen R

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were there just after Christmas 2013 and we had a great time. The beach is close and clean. The staff is friendly. The rooms are in a good state. We also enjoyed the food. It was really a good family experience. Only the swimming pools water was not warm enough. We recommend ! Have nice holidays !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Virginie O
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I spent 20 days in this hotel and I really enjoyed it. With The animation staff you will never get bored, from the morning to the night! Thanks to all animators - Yancarlos, BLUE, Mario, Sexy daddy, Nicolas and The Princess of beauty Esmeralda!!
The food was tasty and guys at the bar always happy and fast!
The beach and rooms are clean! Swimming pool is nice but Ive never tried it.

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Milan K
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have been to this hotel approx. 15 times. We will not be returning again. Unfortunately they have let everything go. They have renovated some of the rooms but, those are few and far between. The food is the same thing every day and small variety. The thing that saddens us is some of the employees are wonderful and the best - they deserve 4+ stars but, they have no control over what management is doing running this hotel into the ground. This hotel has the potential of being one of the best in the area with large beach, love the individual buildings, and on the beach.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DSKtraveler
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I've stayed in many horrible hotels but nothing comes close to this. I'm not a picky person and try to make light of every situation but with this hotel that is impossible. Me and my daughter stayed here 17th April- 27th April 2014. We arrived at 9pm and after a 13 hour journey was exhausted, we were told to wait at reception and someone would collect our bags and take us to our room, after half an hour of waiting we went to find it ourselves. When we got there we entered into a filthy room with mould hanging off the ceiling, my daughter went to the bathroom and the door handle fell off, the balcony door also wouldn't lock. We asked to swap as been on the ground floor with no locking door was concerning for me. We got allocated another room, it was somewhat better, still mould on the ceiling and the balcony door also wouldn't lock. We left it though, as we were on the second floor and would ask someone about the door in the morning. The next morning we asked for a safe, after waiting two hours at the reception we finally got a safe. If you want a safe be prepared to wait... Really wait. We kept in the room given to us for 5 nights of our holiday, including an ants nest and a lizard. (I let it go, it was to be expected in a warm place). This was until we got a rude awakening at half five in the morning. RATS. If you're a light sleeper you'll definitely hear them usually behind the wall of the fridge or the headboard of the bed, you can hear them scratching, biting, running round the back parts of the wall. We left the light on and it eventually stopped, that way if one did escape into the room we'd see it. That morning we woke up and I stepped out of the bed, my foot dropped down right into the floor. I looked down to my worst nightmare of several tiles literally bouncing up and down, yes. The floor was about to go through. I looked under the bed to see if any other tiles were "moving" if you pressed them, and to my delightful surprise there was a USED CONDOM under the bed. Yes you heard me right. I went outside to tell the maid she said I should ring reception about the floor, the condom though... That was quickly swept up. The reception then agreed to move us again after a few evil glares off the reception staff and 4 hours waiting to be moved, we explained the floor was about to go through and that they should probably consider moving the apartment below us. They didn't care though. The third room seemed somewhat better. 2nd night in it the power went off including all water, we rang the reception several time over a space of 3 hours. The last time I rang I was greeted by a man saying "Yes yes we know what you want" then slammed the phone down. Still no one showed. And once again last day you could hear the rats.. Not only this but we had our suitcases all packed and ready to go, as I moved my daughters (the one with the clean washing in!) I was surprised by an army of ants, we quickly opened the case and surprise... They were crawling all in the case! This was a week after the room had apparently been "fumigated". In between all this, was constant waiting about room movements, we spent two days of the holiday trying to get moved, the reception staff especially the women was the rudest people I had ever encountered! Save yourself and do not go here, if this hotel was in England I can assure it would have been shut down many years ago. It honestly is the worst hotel ever. Good luck if you're staying here, trust me you'll need it!

Room Tip: There is no good rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Electra123
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at this resort recently for one week and enjoyed it. It's conveniently located on the beach, it's clean, close to the airport and has some of the best staff I have ever met. They were courteous and always available to help us. We learned a lot about the DR culture from our interactions with the staff. What a great culture! I'm learning Spanish so that I can return to DR and when I do I will stay at this resort again.
Things we enjoyed:
The beach was nice, the water was warm with calm waves. We swam a lot. There were more than enough lounge chairs and places to seat by the beach. The fried chicken at the restaurant by the beach is to die for :-)
The food at buffet was good. However it seemed to be catered to NA and Europeans. We were hoping for more traditional DR food. So we left the resort twice to get some real DR food which was excellent.
The daily entertainment was great. The team worked really hard to make sure we were all having a good time. They tought us how to dance bachata and other local dances, which was great. They were energetic and cheerful. Interacted well with kids and adults of all ages. Big shout out to Randol. The best dancer on the team :-)
The bartenders were amazing. They work hard to keep the drinks flowing. There’s one at the bar by the lobby...short guy with a big smile...I forgot his name now. He makes the best drinks and will make you smile each time.
Our room was a renovated one and it was nice inside. My only complaint is that we had to keep the AC on or else the room smelled musty. But that's understandable since the resort is by the ocean.
We liked the disco. The dj played good music...he mixed DR and NA songs well. We had a blast.
I think the best thing to bring with you on vacation is a positive attitude.and you will have fun no matter where you go.

• Stayed: April 2014
8  Thank Capris3
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Our first time at Celuisma. We booked last minute and got a great price. I traveled with my cousin...we were two girls and we had lots of fun. This hotel is huge!!! With lots of amenities and activities to keep you busy, if you want. Or you can just lay back and relax. We took walks and taxi out of the resort and felt safe. We also really enjoyed meeting and hanging out with some of the guys who work at the resort. In particular, Randolph!! He is one of the guys on the animation team. He was very kind, he showed us around, told us about daily activities that the resort had scheduled and made sure we were well informed. We appreciate it. Thank you Randolph!! We will definitely stay at this resort again. The price we paid and the service we received can't be beat.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor in building #13. It was quiet and the A/C worked fine.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends