“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
london
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2008

Just got back from the Celuisma Playa Dorada - the second time I have stayed there and had a great time again! It is definitely the hotel with the best stretch of beach in Playa Dorada and the staff are very polite and good-humoured. I agree with the previous review - Coco Loco (Antonio) was such a great 'host' - he really is the resident 'celeberity'! - all the guests love him and with good reason - he's a really good guy and a legendary character!

The hotel is really well laid-out - I've never heard of people staying in any derelict rooms - although they were renovating the place when I was there.. the ones I had as a standard were large 1 bedroom apartments (living room/bedroom and patio) with everything you would need on a beach holiday (one had a kitchenette too). Water is everywhere, so you need to buy a couple of bottles and fill them up from outside your room in your block... Everything was always clean - if anything, a little old, but I didn't mind that. Always had soap and towels replaced every day - never any problems/always clean. Remember that a small tip goes a long way and it is how things are done here - you'll save in other ways if tipping bothers you.

The food is great - a very good choice for breakfast - eggs, criossants, bread, plantain/sausages, fruit, butter/jam, juices/coffee on tap and more... and the buffet was great - meats, carbs, veg, salads, great desserts, grills and not once came down with a stomach bug, which wouldn't have been unusual.. And the Mexican restaurant is better than most I've been to in London.

Nightlife - celuisma is right next to the shopping/nigihtlife centre of Playa Dorada, so also very convenient in this way. Definitely the best location. Overall a very good stay - worth every penny!

• Liked — Beach and nightlife
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Melchi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Czech first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

Stayed there for two weeks and absolutely loved the place, its our third time there in the last twelve months and the hotel never disappoints, we were well looked after by the staff at the hotel especially animation team member "Coco Loco" who made the stay much better and worked really hard to get guests to participate and have fun, this hotel has possibly the best stretch of beach on the whole complex, never had any trouble finding a sun lounger on the beach or by the pool, food was good never once got a bad stomach even though we were eating lots of salad every day, food was fresh and of good standard, the staff in the restaurant were very attentive professional and smily, always doing their best to provide a good service, pool is large and clean, candle lit dinner on the beach was a nice touch on weekends, the sun was punishing but there was always shade available on the beach if needed, hotels beach is very long compared to other hotels in playa dorada, always had the option of going somewhere quiet and peacefull or lively depending on the night before! no drunk youths in sights, children friendly place, excellent safe nightlife within 5 minutes walk, loved coco bongo, hemingways and roadway, choice of 2 casinos at playa dorada complex, rooms were nice had one overlooking the grounds and the sea, probably the best placed hotel in the resort right on the beach and in the centre of everything.

• Liked — huge room
  • Disliked — top floor suite had to walk up stairs
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank caribbeanaddict101
NORTH CAROLINA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2008

my husband and I were there on a mission trip , hoping to steal the last 2 days to our selves and be pampered ,just a little !
First of all the 1st rm. we were in the first 4 days were god aweful! We felt bad asking for another rm. ,we figured they were all pretty much the same. Come to find out the units along the beach were better. Our rm. smelt like mold. Also you could see the mold behind the bathroom door. You can tell they did not clean the rooms properly. It was unsanitary i'm afraid to admit. The beds were a bit itchy ,I found myself scratching till I fell asleep. (realized after a day or so it was probably bed mites).
We did'nt want to be negative about it,being we were there to serve others while on mission and all. But when you're paying for a clean room ,you should get one ! (by the way,there were no bugs flying around the room, they were definitely in the bed-just could'nt see them ) Being we didnt spend any time at all in the room other than to shower or sleep we figured we would just suck it up ! The shower curtain were dirty,you can tell they were hardly sprayed or cleaned properly. weak tub floors,I felt like I was going to fall thru depending where you stood ! ( I'M ONLY 128 LBS.)
There was hot water in the morning in this particular rm.
You can tell there was'nt enough fresh air or proper ventilation.
(especially with the mold problem )
The room was very basic -no soap or blow dryer , limited towells,had to ask for more everyday.
pillows were pretty flat-no covers on them under the pillow cases you could see sweat stains on it,also had a musky oder to them.
(that got me sick )
1 sheet on bed with an old tatted blanket with an itchy bed spread ! (my dogs sleep better than that !)
no art work on walls -except for 2 old depressing pics of I dont even remember. Put it this way, it did'nt give you that warm fuzzy feeling of really wanting to hang out in there too long ! I was dying to get out of the rm. as soon as we woke .
Kind of that damp-hollow feeling you get from a basement !
(not exaggerating ) !
Finally at the end of week we found out about other rms. facing the beach that were available. IT WAS BETTER ! it had a nice terrace facing the jacuzzi. (we didnt go in because of the fear of not cleaning the water properly,besides you could see the dirt rings around the edges !)
this rm had a spiral stair case and kitchen fully carpeted. Again you can tell the floors were not vacumed . Dont know if thats because of their electricity problem there in D.R.
The A.C. broke down a few times the 2 nites we were there. THEY WERE FRIENDLY AND SENT THE janitor man to fix it.
(never really got cold but it was better than nothing )

We did'nt like the fact that the beach bar constantly told us they were out of booze and sent us to the pool bar (long walk to get a drink to go back again to the beach ).
AGAIN THIS WAS OFF SEASON, YOU COULD COUNT THE PEOPLE. Very disappointed coul'dnt just relax-back & forth getting drinks. THEY DID HAVE SNACKS AT BEACH BAR -PIZZA & FRIES & SALA D FIXINS !
The beach was very pretty and friendly vendors selling stuff all the time.
By the way, if topless bathing affends you dont go. It is allowed there ,I DID NOT SEE ANY KIDS THERE AT ALL.

AS FOR THE FOOD,YOU WILL NOT STARVE BUT ALOT OF IT WAS NOT VERY GOOD. the food was not put out on time in the morning.
People who had excursions had to grab a roll &coffee & go!
(did'nt think that was very responsible by managment )
The waiters & waitresses were very nice always expecting tips!
DONT FEEL OBLIGATED UNLESS YOU REALLY FEEL THEY DESERVE IT ! AFTER ALL THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ALL -INCLUSIVE AND WE FEEL THEY REALLY HAD A PROBLEM HONORING THAT !
They had a nice fire on the beach one nite with chairs set up.
People seemed to enjoy that.
cabana boys were comical & friendly.
THE BEST FOOD WE HAD WAS BY THE LOCALS ! HOTEL FOOD COUL'DNT TOUCH IT BY FAR !
If you get the chance meet the towns people & locals they are very humble & sweet.
WE WOULD GO BACK TO D.R. JUST NOT THIS HOTEL !

• Liked — WAITRESSES AIMED TO PLEASE
  • Disliked — CLEANILINESS &SERVICE & FOOD
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank TOMDEBNORTHCAROLINA

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

durham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

A little late but i hope it helps some of you decide whether to stay or not. First of all, the Hotel is not 4 or even 3 star as you may see in write ups. 2 or 2 and a half star at best descibes this place overall.

We arrived at this hotel in total chaos having been transferred from another hotel which was full. This was described as an upgrade. We had originally booked in to the Paraiso Tropical in Cabarete. We were aware that Cabarete Hotel was 3 star ( and probably not the best 3 star) but we booked as it was cheap and we planned on spending most of our time on the beach and beach bars of Cabarete. The hotel was pretty incidental.

To be transferred to Playa Dorada was not in the script. However we decided to make the best of it we could.

We were initially given rooms in Block 11 - WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT ACCEPT A ROOM IN BLOCKS 11, 12 AND 13 WITHOUT FIRST CHECKING THESE ROOMS OVER. To say that the room was derelict would be an understatement. I am a construction manager and whilst i accept the Dom Rep is not going to have the same standards as the uk, i do expect it to be safe. It wasn't. Wires haging from walls mould and smells of damp. The room we were given was a total nightmare.

We joined the very very long queue of people to complain and request alternative accomodation. We were advised that as the hotel had been thrown in to this situation they were unable to make any changes to our accomodation until the next day.

Next day the Hotel did indeed change our room. To be fair as i possibly can, the room was not bad. It was certainly a good size - it had 2 double beds. And there was a small kitchenette area, tv and a balcony with a decent view. (this was in block 22).

However.

The bathroom was in poor condition, with signs of mould and damp. The Hot tap was presumably there to supply slightly warmer cold water. There was no way you could bath in it, and showers had to be taken very quickly to avoid hyperthermia. The towels did not smell clean, and often had to be requested as the cleaners often forget to leave them. The bedding and general decoration was generally tired looking and was in obvious need of at least redecoration.

This was in progress to at least one block (17) and had been completed to another (18). The refurbished blocks to be honest did not look too bad. However, these were it seemed reserved for the time share and owners club guests. If they get around to refurbing the rest of the rooms to this standard, the decor at least would not be bad.

Now the rest of it.

Food - very very average. You wont starve here so long as you are prepared to eat lots of fruit and salad stuff. But the remainder of the Buffett style menu was not good.

It was however far far better than the 'themed' restaurants.

The 'carribean' restaurant was simply dreadful and should be avoided like the plague. The Italien was ok at best and you could at least get a simple pizza if you wished. The mexican was as bad as the carribean.

Drinks - Oh my God. You could have the draught beer fed to you intreveiniously and you would feel no effect. It had to be drunk from small plastic cups and if you could bare to drink it, you could have carried on all day and night without feeling so much as slightly tipsy.

The spirits were far far worse. These seemed to consist of flavoured meths. The choice was to have these mixed direct with soft drinks or made in to a cocktail. Either way, it was simply dreadful and not worth experimenting on how much was needed to feel any effect. In the end, i was buying bottles and cans of Preidente at the local shop and drinking them instead of making use of the free bar.

The rest of the facilities were of a similar standard. The pool area was ok and there were plenty of beds. The entertainments and entertainments team were just annoying - although i suppose they done their best given the circumstances.

ALSO, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, Playa Dorada is a walled prison. If you want to get out and have a drink, go to local restaurants and bars you are basically snookered. There is a small shopping area around the corner with a few bars and a couple of restaurants, but these are tourist places - and Hemingways, which is the main bar / restaurant is very very expensive.

We did have a ride up to Puerta Plata. Now i dont mind going or being anywhere. But there was no way i would suggest a night out here. Maybe i am wrong - Dont think i am though. So if your Hotel is not too good and you want a night out, you really are stuck.

There is a Golf Course and club house near the Hotel, and i would recommend going there for a quiet drink and cheaper meal, but this closes at 9.

Other than that its travelling to Sosua which is the nearest 'tourist' resort. Ok, problems with Sosua. 1. It is full of sex torists.

2. It is full of people that sex tourists are looking for. Enough said.

Finally - The Beach at Playa Dorada. It is a really nice Beach. However, the beds at the Tropical Dorada are very uncomfortable, to the point that you cannot lie on them for any period of time. We ended up taking them from the adjacent hotel.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank toptoonfan
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2008

Atfer reading all the bad review's, we were a little nervous as what to expect. We knew booking this restort that it was a 3.5 star so we knew there would be some issue's.
We arrived at the hotel just after lunch, only 1 other person got off the bus with us. Check in was fast and easy. I had spoken to someone thru here who suggested I ask for room 1842, I had no idea I'd get it and was so grateful I did. OMG what a view......we were 60 feet from the ocean. We paid $25.00 for the suite upgrade and it was worth every cent. The suite was lovely, one of the newly renovated room's. The complex is still under construction, but it wasn't bothersome at all. We did have some issue's with the room......we didn't alway's have hot water, one day no water. We just went to the front desk, we spoke to Pedro and Winston and they were very helpful...and it was fixed right away. Our toilet didn't alway's flush either...(( laughing )) again..back to the front desk and it was fixed right away. The staff really do everything they can, and the problem's are not their fault and Im sure they take lot's of slack for it.
On the 5th day, I asked to speak with Ramon, I wanted some of my money back for the upgrade, when all I was asking for was; simple hot water and a toilet that flushes.....I just wanted our basic need's met. Ramon gave me 1/2 my money back for the upgrade and we were pleased.
We thought the food was fabulous, again....this is not a 5 star hotel. We had basic buffet for breakfast and lunch...and because there we're only about 40 ppl in the whole place, we ate at the al la carte dinner's every night. One night we ate at the beach resturante, it was soooo romantic and we had the whole place to ourselves. We loved Jose and Suzanna, they were fabulous...and they served us most night's. Jose would come looking for us during the day so we could book with him again.
The pool was very clean and well looked after.
Although the Sunquest site say's you get bottled water in your fridge....you DO NOT!! There are fresh water station's everywhere...and I wouold just recommend you bring your own water bottle's so you can walk around with it at the beach. We would just ask for water and we'd walk around with the glasses where ever we were. It really wasn't a problem, but it would have been handier to have had our own.
I think the booze is watered down, I never did get a buzz except when I had the wine and the liquor's after dinner. If you like a strong drink, I would recommend you pick up some booze duty free and mix your own. It wasn't a problem for us.

If you go prepared, you will love this resort. I love The Dominican people.

• Liked — cheap getaway
  • Disliked — it's just an older resort...but their working on fixing it up
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Ontariobeachbummin
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

We went in the week from October 18 to October 26 2008 and had a great time. If you are planning to go, don't be thrown off by bad reviews below as i had prior to my trip.

First, i cant stress this enough: TIP THE PERSONNEL AT THE FRONT DESK FIRST THING WHEN YOU CHECK-IN!!!! this will go a long way during your vacation stay, starting from getting a better accomodation right then - pretty simple and logical and is true about any hotel you ever go to. For us it took only 5 min to check in and we got a free upgrade from regular to superior room when our pre-booked room was not available, time of arrival to hotel = 4.30 PM

As mentioned in the previous review building 18 has been renovated, so you may want to request a room there, but if not available, ask for a second or third floor room - they ussually better (true for any hotel in tropical climate).

Our room was in building 21 2nd floor and had king size bed, a balcony with the ocean view, TV, closet, full bathroom and an empty (regular)
fridge, which i found very useful, as we could bring some fruit into the room and eat it later at night when the buffet was no longer available.

The furniture was a bit on the older side, but this did not bother us at all - we were not there for the furniture after all and bed was comfortable. And it was excetionally clean - sheets were changed every single day along with towels(-note that we did tip the maid every day ).

Bring a mosquito spray or close the door/window at night if mosquito issue bothers you. I think due to a humid climate there is always plenty of them in the area. THERE ARE NO BED BUGS as mentioned in the review below, those were mosquitos, i got bitten plenty and my boyfriend as well. They mostly bite at night and early morning, you can actually hear them and see them flying.

The food: I found it to be very good - a lot of variety every meal for any taste, but i am not a finiky eater. I actually wish that i liked the food less than i have LOL. Also, it was always fresh - haven't had any problems.

The drinks: I've seen better in other hotels, but here the bar was OK as well. Too much alcohol per drink for my taste tho, but this can be adjusted per request. Also, if you not used to coconut milk/cream in your daily life you should be careful with coconut drinks, as they can cause stomach issues. I believe the bar closes at 12AM - not a 24 hrs.

As a responce to negative review below: Please don't expect the animation team take charge of all entertainment on your vacation, as adults you should be able to entertain yourselves (i do). They can sure organize activities or participate in a volleyball, basketball, etc. but do not expect them to be with you day and night. This resourt has tennis courts, jacuzzi, pool, basketball court, beach volleyball, fusball tables, pool tables, watersports, so there is plenty to do while there. Also, go snorkeling just pass the Paradise hotel to the right and bring the bread to feed the fist.

The beach is FANTASTIC, and we loved to be there in the low season - no overwhelming crowds.

Overall we had an amazing experience and we would definitely go back, i can recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — beach, room, food, things to do
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank surfer33
lincoln
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

Arrived 1st october ,walked straight inand was given key to our room , no hanging around, due to bell boy being with others we ended up finding our own way to our room which was 2008, on opening the door walked in to the smell of damp and mould we only asked for one double bed, but was met with two double kingsize beds , we are not old enough to sleep apart just yet.
Complained at the front desk we was asked to come back at 5 in the evening and we was given another room, second floor 2021 great view one kingsize bed and smelt much better , could not complain. However we did expect a full fridge load but was told you had to fill it your self. bearing in mind we went at a quiet season and there was only an handfull of people in the complex and the hotel does hold about twelve hundred guests, majority of the suites where tired and old, all though they are starting to renavate,only about 24 rooms have been done so far, and they look promising so ask for block 18. the only real negative thing was the food selection and quality was very poor ,but you did not starve because of it. Due to my wife being a vegetarian and a very fussy eater they where prepared to put themselves out and make her a pizza or tomato basil sauce with pasta when she wanted.beach and pool fantastic anamation team fantastic very friendly and helpful , i played tennis 3 times with the animation manager he let me win lol, and jay jay really trys hard with the guest to make sure they are having a great .
this is my second time i have been to playa dorada and i must admit it's the first time it has been in your face regarding the single men and woman that go on holiday by them selfs , There is a service where they can have a dominican escort wot ever you call them to stay with them the full week or two weeks, which they have to pay for, My wife found it very discusting and her mouth was always gaping open and looking but hay if there up for that sort of stuff then close it behind doors not infront of you.
would i go back yes if the food got better and the rooms. Regarding the hot water when you took a shower had to get a shower before 5 at night thats when it was hot other than that it got cold.

We made some great friends there

• Liked — balcony view
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple