“THE WORST”

Puerto Plata Beach Resort
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 16 June 2013

everyday it is something! no electric, no water almost daily. there is no casino. they rent the pool area to anyone today it was a church revival! other days music, anyway they can make a peso! at night the street is so filled with loud music from parked cars you cannot sleep. the toliets flood often, leaks from the ceiling. they double the electric bill which is given to them from the power company then they double it and give it to you, now they are charging for parking!! stay away

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank robert h
PPBCR, Public Relations Manager at Puerto Plata Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Puerto Plata Beach Resort is a centrally located and very active resort community. We strive to create a tropical and soothing ambiance while taking advantage of the liveliness the Malecon has to offer.

We have a dedicated and fully-staffed maintenance department. Long-term residents have been advised to follow the protocol in which all maintenance requests are made in writing. This ensures that all requests are received by management and given top priority so that the repairs may be made quickly. Unfortunately, verbal requests made to hotel staff do not always work their way through the system. But don't worry, we are working on that too!

Parking is always free for our Hotel guests! Long-term residents are required to pay a nominal monthly fee (about $25 - that is less than $1 a day!) for access to the Parking Lot. The lot has been successful in reducing traffic noise inside the Resort and includes 24-hour security.

Unfortunately, water and electric shortages are common in the city of Puerto Plata . PPBRC is actively working on improving our infrastructure so that we may accommodate these inconveniences when they do happen.

Great news... a newly renovated casino is scheduled to open in Winter 2014!

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you have experienced at the Resort. Once again, we encourage you to submit all maintenance requests in writing. Forms are available at the front desk.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

what do those people think to rent something like that. I also have water leaking from the ceiling in the bathroom. I think its not the first time, and you can see a big mold spot there. 2 maintains people came to look at it. saying that it would not com from my apartment, maybe in the apartment above mine and they would check. so nothing happended so far its already 12 pm. They have a rule that nobody can enter the apartment when the renter is not there. what about emergencies? But the cleaning ladys knocked on the door and in the next 2 seconds they wanted to enter the apartment. I had this no disturb sign on the door which was now on the oppisite site meaning they can clean. I asked them who did that, well one cleaninglady did that. Also the housemanager or whatever it is, knocks on the door and in the next 2 seconds the door opens.
They promised me today they would put me in another apartment, will see what happens.
Also no plates, cups nothing.The draws from the dresser you cannot open.
I really recommend not staying even one night there. There are enoght other apartments out there.

Room Tip: Groundfloor apartments are just getting all the car and motobike exhaust.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 February 2013

This place was amazing! Mind you it's not one of the newer resorts, but there is a grandeur here that you only find in a more established place. We were here 6 years ago and the place was kind of run down but the price was right. We decided to return this year and boy are we glad we did!! There is a new owner and the renovations are everywhere. New restaurant, bar, gym etc. and the staff is so nice. They really go out of their way to make sure you are happy. My kids also had a great time. The concierge organized tours for us that we also enjoyed. Its the kind of place you want to keep coming back to- low key, safe, and easy on the budget. Just what we were looking for!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Joyce S
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I had an amazing experience and I'm already planning to return in October! My suite was beautiful, two large rooms, vaulted ceilings and nice patio. Huge clean pool with a poolside bar. The staff when above & beyond to accommodate my needs. I felt very safe and welcome here. I spent a lot of time at the Kite Bar which is directly across the street. The GM of Puerto Plata Beach Club even hosted a BBQ at the Kite Bar one night during my stay! I've made some life long friends and I can't wait to return in October!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Brandi M
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I have been renting an apartment at the complex for more than a month and overall am extremely satisfied. The price is very reasonable and the location is wonderful on the malecon across the road from the kite boarding beach where there is often a good breeze. I like to swim laps and the complex has a very large pool which is hard to find in the DR, so that is a huge plus for me. Yes, sometimes a bit of water drips in through the roof in heavy rain (my apartment is in the roof), sometimes the cable TV has a few glitches, the the wi-fi is spotty, but I have my own prepaid Internet from Claro which works very well, so that is probably the way to go if you need a reliable Internet connection for business or whatever. For a couple of weeks there was no hot water, but that seems to be fixed now and it is often scalding, so you have to be careful of that. Staff are very helpful and friendly, though don't always have great memories. Hey, this is the Dominican Republic and you have to compare like with like. If I could find a better place in the area to rent an apartment within the same price range, then I would move, but I don't know of one. I have certainly seen plenty of places a lot worse. If you could find an apartment in the US in a location of similar quality, it would cost the earth.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank DRtraveler M
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This place is not up to European standards. There are infrastructure problems everywhere.
Raw sewerage can be smelled at poolside. There is water leaking from our ceiling in the bathroom. Water is leaking under the kitchen sink and under the wash basin in the bathroom.There are lots of tiny mosquitos that leave nasty bites. The WI-FI doesn't work inside the apartment so I have to step onto the balcony to get a signal. The TV cable has worked about half the time we are here. Lots of empty promises are offered and there are lots of unhappy renters here. This place is not ready for prime time.
EK

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Edward K
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The place is under new ownership, the owner is non- caring and just after your money. We were robbed, and friends of ours from Niagara Falls Canada were also robbed a few days later. In my room they broke in the door, when we were at the beach, our friends, they came through the bath room window. When our friends from N F approached the owner, he told us to go somewhere else in very foul language. They are trying to fix the place up, and are certainly charging you a expensive room rate. They are planning to sell of the condos, so they certainly don't want to hear your complaints I have been traveling to Puerto Plata for 10 years now with my wife, we will never stay in that resort again. Heed my warning or find out for yourself.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple