“Amazing resort, terrable beach”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 17 August 2012

So me and my husband took a honeymoon here we also braught his mother and her friend ( they stayed in a different room and did there own thing) on Nov 6th 2011 it was an amazing beutiful resort.

rooms : 5* foraure and also we got an ocean view room which honestly didn't have much of a view but I'm not a complainer... The room was always clean and very likable . very very modern

The food: honestly I loved it but my husband and others complained a lot about it being bland and repentitive but I thought there was lots of veriety and different tastes. There was only one buffet and only 2. A la cartes so it was very hard to get in to the a la cartes even tho we went low season .

The beach: the beach was deffanitly not what I expected , they were filled with locals pushing stuff on u and sometimes made u feel scared . Also the sand was dark brown and muddy so was the water u couldent see through it at all not even an inch. There were huge waves so u couldent go out far at all.

So overall I give it a 4* if the beach was nicer I would give it more than a 5* if possible lol

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank christinavandevelde
There are newer reviews for Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Reviewed 13 August 2012

The rooms were beautiful clean and maid services was excellent. The food was just ok, the kids club was ok. Beaches in the caribbean are always good, this was not extraordinary however. The pool was ok-a swim up bar i didn't even bother with because the alcohol was of poor quality. There was one jacuzzi and one kids shallow pool. we were given 4 cards for beach towels, I used two cards to obtain towels put them on the lounge chairs while
I went for a swim, when i came back they were gone. I reported this to the towel service people they asked me to report it to guest services when I tried this was closed upon check out I explained what happened and they charged me $15. I was not a happy camper this was just the icing on the cake because the whole time I felt the service was not as good as what one expects from all inclusive resorts. There was no fitness center. The assistant manager was a rude woman and so were the front desk workers. We went on a day trip to the teleferico and botanical gardens. This was lovely the tour guides and locals were awesome. I would never go back t puerto plata again nor recommend this resort to anyone no matter how inexpensive it is.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank travel1nyc
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Best holiday ive ever had. Staff are friendly and will go out of there way for you and dont always expect tips. Entertainment staff are great also. Chiki is a little legend
Rooms very nice. Fridge is whats needed
Beach. Beautiful
Pools. Nice.

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank pio5ukuk
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband, son and I stayed at the Grand Paradise 14-28 July. We had concerns after reading the reviews the week before we arrived, however went with an open mind. The room we was allocated was fine, 2 double beds and clean. At the welcome meeting we were informed by the rep that we would automatically be booked into the a la carte restaurants on a Fri and Sat evening due to the locals being there. We were also advised by the towel lady to be careful as the locals would steal the towels. I agree with a previous review, the locals were an absolute nightmare, basically we did not exist when they were there, struggled to find a clean table at breakfast and staff were not interested in assisting you either. Food - well the buffet restaurant was awful, flies on the food, choice not great either. Breakfast, lunch and dinner food choice was exactly the same at each meal time! Michaelango and Eden restaurant's very nice but not always open. Found a lovely restaurant offsite - Hemingways - great food! Also Pizza Hut. Don't use the shop in the hotel as very expensive, take a short walk to Plaza where we found things half the price of the hotel. Had a problem with the room at the end of the first week with smoke from the laundry coming in through the air con - complained and was moved to a suite the same day. So to summarise:

Buffet restaurant - awful
Locals - an absolute nightmare
Timeshare Reps - a constant pain
Beach sellers - constant hassle

Hayley - Thomas Cook Rep - brilliant
Rooms - clean
A La Carte Restaurants - good
Bars - good choice of drinks but always served in cheap plastic cups
Staff - Frankie and Lordes - extremely helpful
Offsite - Hemingways Restaurant and Pizza Hut both worth a visit

Would not recommend

11  Thank Karen0784
Reviewed 31 July 2012

well where do i start i wish i was writing a good review but im not...my partner and 2 children stayed at the Grand Paradise 12th-26th july ..quick check in ,room was lovely but we were put by the launderette which was going 24 hrs a day very noisy, asked to move but they wanted $5 pp pn as the locals were there and they had no rooms apparently, as i had already spent alot of money for this trip already i wasnt prepared to pay out more so we stayed put had endless sleepness nights. Timeshare ppl really hassle you as soon as you arrive even at breakfast in the end we complained and they left us alone...Lucky lucky ppl on the beach were a pain to start off with but my daughter had her hair braided by Selena who i do recommend she was lovely ,in the end they left us alone too just say no thankyou and they will go.....always had hot water in the room. The locals on weekends ..well the are like animals been let out of the zoo thats the best way to describe them they push you, pinch your cutlery,pinch towels never any food after they have been in the restaurant very rude ppl,we didnt seem to exsist on the weekends its all about them.....thank goodness for Edens and Michaelangelo's well recommended. Most of the staff were very nice always had smiles on their faces but couldnt fault the entertainment staff at all Chiky, Blue, Pepe, and Super Joe worked really hard all day and night doing pool games getting everyone involved my daughter absolutely loved them all and they loved her too always came over for a chat she misses them already...Ada and Barbie were lovely too in the kids club not much in there but my 2 loved it. The buffet food is horrendous flies on the bread everyday same food everyday i had undercooked omelette twice and chicken too nothing for the kids to eat they had soup and pasta most days only the last 3 days of the holiday they had chips only because some customer complained to his rep..my partner was ill for 2 days whilst we were there and im on day 10 of a tummy bug or food poisoning just waiting for my results from doctors never been so poorly in my life spoilt the last week of my hols had to stay in the room for most of it but speaking to other ppl at the airport i wasnt the only one so i think the food problem needs sorting soon..overall its in a beautiful location ,beach and pool were fab it just wasnt paradise like i was expecting shame really.

8  Thank shellwazza
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Food wasn't as bad as some of the reviews. It wasn't the greatest either. Had no hot water for 4 days and was ignored until I demanded the maintenance person follow me to my room to see that there really was NO hot water coming out at all. Moved to another room, NO hot water there either. Not a drop. Finally moved to ocean view with water. It's an old property. That staff was very nice . The room was clean. I've stayed in worse and I have stayed in better. The people selling stuff on the beach are completely annoying. They come every couple of minutes, they will wake you up and they don't got away easy. The locals over run the place on the weekend and that's when my towel disappeared when I turned my back for a minute. People kept asking me why I wasn't in Punta Cana. I'm not sure either. We made the most of things. Since it was clean, staff was nice and food was OK then it wasn't s bad vacay all in all,. They need to think about the future of this location before things get out of hand.

Room Tip: It IS possible to get Hot water so if you don't have it then demand to be moved.
5  Thank Ladye D
Reviewed 20 July 2012

we have been back a week after staying in.the grand paradise and im still not well.food was terrible.staff rude and unhelpful.hotel over ran with young canadians who were drunk in your face and up to all sorts that would turn curly hair straight.thnk 18-30 only worse.couple that with locals overcrowding at weekends where u cant get food cause theyve eaten it all or near the pool.plus them stealing ur towels and other belongings its total nightmare.my recommendation dont go u will regret it.

• Stayed: June 2012