“best food at an all inclusive.... ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Kitchener, Canada
“best food at an all inclusive.... ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I have been to about 12 all ins, and this one has had the best food and value for my dollar ever. I had barbecue ribs, prime rib, awesome tacos, and roast chicken most nights. everyday was a great selection. breakfast was great, but always the same, and NO BACON!! for the first time ever. my only food disappointment. drinks were great, service was outstanding.

My cost for this trip from toronto was $680, all taxes and everything in, including the single supplement for my own room. for what this resort and area provided, it is the best value I have ever had.

my room was great, got an ocean view with out asking or paying extra for it.

great activities, my favourite was windsurfing, included free, and the wind here was great.

I travelled solo here, and this is my only regret. the playa dorado area is a secure area, with a half dozen or so resorts, so it is very safe, and beach vendor hassles are limited. this attracts alot of couples, families and seniors who only want to relax on the resort. not the adventurous and outgoing type like me, for adventurous singles I recommend resorts in sosua, or cabrete I met a few singles who went there and loved it. most singles who did come here, were groups of girls who stayed on the resort, or at least in the playa dorado compound area. I rented a car and went out and around everyday. I did not see anybody else doing this.

but for couples, families and others who just want to stay on the resort, relax and enjoy them self, this is the best value I have ever had!

Room Tip: I loved ocean view room, great view of the sunsets. higher up will get a better view unobstructed by...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank michaelonmyown
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear michaelonmyown,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments.

We are thankful for your sharing your comments regarding your stay in our property. It is pleasant to know that you have had a delightful stay.

We look forward your next vacations.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed there from April 8 until April 15, 2013. Hotel is old and dated. Had a one bedroom suite overlooking the pool. Hotel policy of 1 key per room is horrible as after I returned from fishing I spent over an hour to find my wife to get the key to get changed. We had no hot water when we arrived by Wednesday had water coming out of the tap but it was not hot. My wife managed one luke warm shower in the whole week. We had bugs in the room. Drinks were made with local liquor and the vodka tasted more like tequila than vodka. Lots of vendors licensed by the hotel working the beaches. Front desk was less than helpful as was the Nolitours rep that was on site. It is definitely not a 4 star resort. Food god repetitive and I was concerned over how they were keeping everything sanitary without hot water. Drinks appeared to be very watered down as it was almost impossible to catch even a small buzz drinking their stuff.

Plus's Michael Angellos restaurant's cannelloni was amazing. In general the shows by the pool were not bad and the pool was relatively clean. Odd cup and cigarette butt floating around. The room was very well kept by the maid however her leaving the door wide open didn't help the bug problem. Beach was nice as I "showered" there in the morning because the water was warmer than the shower.

Room Tip: If you want quiet do not over look pool. No elevators so main floor rooms are better unless you lik...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Joe R
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Joe R,

We want to thank you for making us aware of the disappointment you expressed in your review. We do strive to provide the best service and deliver on guest expectations, we apologize for falling short in your case.

On the other hand we would like to clarify some points you mentioned. The hotel policies only allow one key and this information is offered by your representative in your meeting and in the lobby you can also see the information, this allows the hotel to save energy in while the customer are not in the room. Please know that our hotel offer the facilities to give access to our clients with a key for one use and after used most be returned to the lobby. The hotel admitted that we had issues with the hot water but this was resolved the same day upon your arrival. Please allow us to inform you, that we have different systems for hot water in the hotel, one is for the rooms and the other is for commons areas whether these kitchen, laundry and others and the one who had problems was from the rooms. In relation of the bugs you reported in your room, we did not have any report from you or your wife about this issues. We have sent the notice to the association of beach vendors.

We appreciate your comments about the hotel and we will share with all department your feedback.

We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

First of all, my fiancé and I had are first vacation at the Grand Paradise Playa Dorda, and we couldn`t have picked a better resort! The resort itself is so beautiful and all the staff are so kind and helpful. We had a little problem with the room but they fixed it right away and were very kind about it. The beach was also very nice, but one of my favorite elements was the entertainment at the resort! The entertainment staff makes you feel welcome and they make you laugh so much, we had a blast. A special thanks goes out to Manny for making us feel like we were family! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: Get an upgrade if you can! its worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Jenna k,

We are truly thankful for your comments regarding your stay in our property. It is pleasant to know that you've had a delightful stay with us and also that you've had an enjoyable time with the company of our entertainment staff, we will be more than glad to share your comments with them.

We look forward your next vacations at GPD.

Best regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

Absolutely wonderful! My boyfriend and I took our first vacation together to the Dominican and stayed at the Grand Paradise in Puerto Plata. We absolutely enjoyed everything the resort had to offer. The rooms were very clean, excellent service and the food was delicious and awesome!!! The entertainment staff was very friendly and funny, especially Manny, he was wonderful!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Kayunie L,

It's truly a pleasure to know that you have had a great stay in our resort, we will be more than happy to congratulate Manny for his great job.

We hope to see you soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is honestly one of the best places I have to! The overall hotel is fantastic, it is very clean and has a lovely atmosphere. Also I really enjoyed the entertainment at the resort! I want to give a special thanks to the entertainment staff, especially Manny! He went above and beyond our expectations! If you are going to Puerto Plata, go to this resort, you won't regret it!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Kshakur,

We want to thank you for your wonderful words about our propriety, It's a pleasure to know that you've had a delightful stay with us, be sure that we will congratulate Manny for his excellent job.

We all hope to see soon.

Best regards,
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

My stay at Grand Paradise was a great experience. I found the rooms to be good, the view from mine was looking out over the beach. The food was good and plentiful. The staff were great. One name that I will never forget is also"BON BON" she was always happy and cheerful, always had time to chat for a while.
The pool was excellent, the buffet restsurant looks out over the beach. The grounds were always clean.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear 811Glyn_M_12,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit. We're honored to learn of your kind comments regarding the property and staff, be sure that we will congratulate Bombon for her great job.

Hoping to see in the nearest future.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I've been staying at Grand Paradise Playa dorada from April 5th to 12th 2013. Didn't know what to expect when I booked there, just hoping to have a good place for my bucks. The resort is pretty, located I think on the best spot of the area. The beach is beautiful, and the site, clean, with mostly all facilities. When I go on vacations, I'm not there to spend lot of time in my room (basically, sleep, shower, that's about it). So the room itself was clean, good looking, quiet, comfortable and close of the lobby (mean I can use wifi directly from my room). But, first shower I had, I saw that the drain of the bath didn't work well, I had water higher than my ankles. I quickly notified the front desk, and I guess nothing has changed for my whole stay. Then problems too with the toilet flush, water kept on going, but I fixed it myself... My front door handle wasn't working perfectly neither from the outside, so each time I was going out and closing the door from the outside, I couldn't close it gently, mean I was making lot of noise (sorry neighbours). Beside that, like my room.
Food at the buffet was quite good, but the same meals were often coming back, it's ok, just gave me the push to try 1-2 local restaurants in town. at the beach snack, was ok, bur would appreciate beef burgers not only chicken burger which the patties were waiting in some sort of liquid four a long time. And I wont talk about the weird tasting "pizza". For the A la Carte meals, which 2 were included, I only tried one, Michelangelo's. The minestrone soup was very god, (even if it was not my best ever, by far) then I had the chicken parmigiana, which was good too. Beside a little mistake about my soup by one of the waiters, the service was excellent, but on thing: AC wasn't working that night, the ask us to wear trousers, covered shoes (but they weren't saying anything about people wearing a cap...) , and no windows were opened, so a.s.a she filled my water glass, I emptied it in a sec, and I was sweating like a pig, 20min after I sat, they opened the windows but it was still really hot! So beside the AC problem, diner was good.

The bars: service was excellent, choice of drinks ok, only one thing, I know I wasn't in Cuba, but why NO Mojito??? It's an easy drink to do, and mint is easy to grow....

So to end with this, I'd say that beside those negative points, which for me, didn't stopped me to have the hell of a good time and almost perfect vacations, I would definitely go back and recommend Grand Paradise to friends!
I dont need animation, but what I saw seems ok to my needs!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo