“If you value your life stay away from this hotel”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Last few hours of my trip ended in horror. Was on the beach when someone came screaming for help. Being a nurse I went to see what was wrong I found a man on the floor and another nurse from mtl doing CPR. The man was blue and had no pulse we did CPR for 20 min only 1 staff member came with a gurney. The resort had no medical help, no first aid kit no defibrillator, no oxygen no ambu bag and the best thing no staff member that new CPR. Ambulance and the MD that was suppose to be 5 min away never showed up. Guest took this man to the front to wait for the ambulance that never showed up so they put him in the back of a van to take him to the hospital. When I asked who was going with the patient and his wife I was told that one of us had to go to continue CPR. When I spoke to the manager of this hotel and asked how it was possible not to have someone that knows CPR or any emergency equipment she said that the laws were different in this country. So now I know that the first thing I will look for when I book a trip is if they have medical help on the resort.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Ckom
Write a ReviewReviews (3,286)

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My first time at this hotel. I travelled between 11th Dec - 25th Dec and I cannot wait to return. My room was massive and very clean no issues at all. Lots to do through the day - THE ANIMATION TEAM made my holiday especially MANNY he is soooo funny. They all work very hard day and night - Donkey, Scooby, Watchout, Manny, SexyFace, Janet Jackson, Chi Chi, Bon Bon, Also all the staff the bar staff - I loved Hugo and Henry always smiling and joking. Will be returning Aprilllllll :) Miss you guys Besossssssss

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ellie R
Reviewed 27 December 2013

food is poor everyday almost same thing, bed is like Banana, pilow is two time thicker, they only have big towel in the room, people are friendly, the place is clean, beach is clean, need a guide, wilsonjacques@hotmai.com

Room Tip: room in 1333 have internet ... all other dont have !
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vincent C
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I am a little late in writing the review. We were at the Grand Paradise and paradise it is from Feb 28th to March 4 th, 2013. This was our second stay at the Grand Paradise the year before we also stayed for two weeks. We have now made reservations for another two weeks Feb 10th to 24, 2014. The Grand Paradise has wonderful staff that make you feel at home from the time you get there until you leave. Food was excellent they had a different thyme each night. Room was very clean and our maid keeped it that way for us the complete time we were there, she also made sure that we had water and soft drinks in the fridge. Front end staff was very helpful, yes when we got there we had to wait for our room, who cares, we were given bracklets and off we went to get a drink in the sun until three when we got our room. Check in is check in, just like in Canada, therefore don't ditch them for it. The bartenders always have smile and ready to serve, yes at times the bar gets busy and you will have to wait, that's just life, they truly do there best. We met a lot of great people on our last stay, 4 couples that we met have booked to go back all for the same dates as us in Feb including one couple we met from the USA and they are bringing another couple. That my friends is telling you that this resort is a great place to holiday. Please remember to tip the staff they are in the service business and work very hard and many hours, tips go a long way in getting good service just like in Canada if you tip in the restaurant or bar the service is much better the next time. Keep in mind you make what you make out of your holiday, keep an open mind and be friendly and it will come back to you 10 folds over. Cannot wait to return, Feb 10th cannot come fast enough.... Paradise, Paradise, Paradise.........

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank odis01
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I recently travelled with my best friend for a little getaway and was recommended this resort. Upon Arriving we were welcomed by lots of dancing from the Animation Staff. If you are looking to have a great time in a safe environment I would definitely recommend this place.

The Rooms:
The rooms were a good size and we would suggest upgrading to Ocean view (also if you go to bed early you may want to get something away from the pool/bar area because the entertainment goes until 11 there.

The Food:
The Food was amazing, we had no problems, but we tried eating more hot foods than anything. The staff in the buffet and al la carte areas were very accommodating and were always quick to offer drinks. Eduardo was so nice to have as a waiter in the mornings. He was always smiling and making good conversation. Uilala was also very attentive to any needs and even helped put on a special birthday presentation at the italian restaurant for a friend.

The Bars:
The Bar staff was great - The bartender that spun the drinks all the time was amazing and entertaining, wish we remembered his name :( Roberto was so nice and always dancing and singing behind the bar. We loved them all, such great staff!

The Animation Team:
These guys and gal knew how to put on a show and always have the guests entertained. There was never a dull moment and there were lots of activities to join everyday. They had the best dance moves and the tightest butts we've ever seen.. we will be back for the dancing for sure.. They would continue the entertainment in the Disco and would make sure to get everyone dancing. Special mention to Donkey (a great dancing partner - thanks for the new moves), Scooby (so entertaining and engaging), Manny (Moves like Jagger and a nice guy - wish we got to say goodbye), Janet(a wild woman, loved her) and Sexy Face(Tons of energy and a contagious laugh). Thanks for the awesome time. If you like to have a good time, this animation team is the best around, so I would recommend it any day.

The Coco Bongo off the resort was fun but was more lively on the weekends and late into the night. We walked there and felt safe leaving the main resort because it was still within the complex. The staff was really good to make sure that we were safe.

The Beach:
The beach was beautiful and clean. There are vendors but they are just trying to make a living. They have a volleyball court and fun activities that take place on the beach. And a Beach party that I would highly recommend (a bit of a work out dancing in the sand but sooo fun). We also brought a beer pong kit and it was a hit, so bring games and the people will come to play.

We loved this resort and it was well kept, clean and had very friendly staff. Wish we would have been able to stay longer. Honestly such an amazing place to go we will be back... hopefully soon. There is new management and they are doing a great job to improve the place. We will spread the word about Grand Paradise :)

Room Tip: Upgrade to Ocean View - So nice to wake up to the sound of the Ocean in the morning. The third floor...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Darien_Jacob
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I think, its a lovely place with so friendly people, the rooms are very ok and have fantastic views at the sea or pool.
At this region you can enjoy relaxing days at the hotel and the wonderful beach, but there are also many possibilities for city-, landscape-, boattours and -combinations. I visited lonely beaches and was allways impressed by the green countryside and the exotic, exciting caribbean life at Puerto Plata and the cities and villages arrount. Some of the official excoursions like Tropical Beach, Catamaran or Jeep Safari we made several times because we liked it so much, but we also like to see the life outside the tourism, for example visiting a baseball game or an open air disco at Sonday Afternoon. There is nearly nothing that can't be organized for a pleasant vacacion.
Specially at this hotel you can feel beeing at the caribic nearly all the time, because the main restaurants and 2 bars are located directly at the beach with open sides for having sea breeze instead of airconditioned closed rooms like they have in other hotels.
The sinners bar is our most loved place with the sea- and palmtree-view and really great bartenders.
Allthough the tables and chairs are simple, sometimes the atmoshere there is like in a movie. Roberto allways has a right feeling for the guests there, if they like to have a party night – then he makes them dance and celebrate with dominican music - or if they like having a quiet evening just talking and enjoying the romantic view. Jose Pilar is a good entertainer, too and Hugo, Elvis etc. they are so friendly all the time. Last year with additionally Osvaldo and Cornel the team of bartenders was perfect. We hope to see them all again next time.
At the restaurants service and atmosphere are great, too. People who think that food without lobster is terrible should try the romantic candlelight dinner with lobster and sparkling whine which is not so expensive and unforgetable, but we like also having the buffet with beef, chicken, meat, pasta, rice, fish, potato, vegetable, salads, fruits, cakes and allways fresh grilled dishes. If the meal were not tasty, you can believe me, I would not go several times to the hot buffet and the soups while there are 30 celsius. Many thanks to the cooks and the nice and friendly waiters who know what we are going to order from the second day and served very well.
The rooms are closed to the restaurants and the beach, and if I had a question or a problem at my room, I was helped very soon directly from the people who are working there or at the reception.
They are all so helpful and friendly. Our favorite receptionist is Francis. He helps, informs and organizes allways in a very nice way and he allways makes me and my friends smile when we enter the hotel lobby.
Between the hotel buildings there are well cared nice gardens, Many thanks for the people working there. I love going out of the hotel room at the morning looking at the various plants.

It is maby not a five star luxury hotel but I think that here you get the best for this good price.

The friendship and great service at the hotel starts at the reception and continues until the security people at the beach. This and my loved palm trees at the hotel beach are making it to my real paradise and most favorite hotel.

Room Tip: beach view is great
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank V V
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I found everything was fine and really enjoyed the trip. The staff was very pleasant and really appreciated tips. Will definitely go back. I found the food was OK. Drinks were fine. Just generic brands but who cares. Go to mall 5 minutes away and buy good stuff

Room Tip: I didn't spend much time in the room so who cares. Noisy by the bar
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo