Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
US$205
US$199
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$160
Be Live Hotels
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$154
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$150
  • Breakfast included
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$303
US$244
  • Breakfast included
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$141
  • Pool
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$117
US$218
US$179
  • Pool
PlayaBachata Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$97
Hotels.com
US$169
US$131
3,620 results
All reviewsplaya doradablack pantherentertainment staffsnack barbeach vendorsdominican republicchickena la cartenightly entertainmentorange marketrecommend this resortresort staffpicky eaterlobstergreat triphave a good timerum factory
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We stayed at this resort for 1 week and were very pleased with the entire stay.

We arrived and were greeted with a punch cocktail at the front entrance, very quick check in and bell boy (Romar) was very nice and made sure our bags got to our room very quickly and without any trouble.

I want everyone to know that this resort is absolutely fantastic and any other reviews that you may have read before are most likely people that think that this is a 5 star resort…there was absolutely no problems with this resort what so ever! I would go back in a heartbeat.

ROOMS- Our room was fantastic, we had a king size bed that was so comfortable and they were very clean and tidy- we had a huge flat screen TV a coffee maker, hairdryer and an ironing board right in the room, the fridge was stocked daily and rooms were cleaned everyday. New towels were always given when needed. I was very surprised to come to our room and find that they maids were just there- I could tell because the floors were just freshly mopped and smelled great.

POOLS- The pools were so clean and at a very nice temperature…we did spend a lot of time swimming in here also. They just got brand new lounge chairs all around the pool. We loved the Jacuzzi even though it was the same temperature as the pools it was nice to have the bubbles all around you.

FOOD- I am a very picky eater so was very nervous about the food, but it was very very good, I ate something everyday. I must say that breakfast was the best meal of the day…..the frech toast was to die for and the bacon was so good! We ate at the Al’cart restaurant and thought it was great, the chicken at Michangelos was amazing.

ENTERTAINMENT- The animation team was very good, we were involved in a lot if the games that they had going on throughout the day. Beauty and La Chispa are so funny and they make you feel welcome there. They for sure know how to dance and will teach you if you want to learn.

BEACH- OMG this is truthfully without a lie, the best beach among this entire complex. Many people from other resorts were coming along our beach to hang-out at because it was way better then their own. It was always calm and I was never worried about going swimming in the ocean at all. It was not rocky or anything very sandy and very very clean. Now the beach vendors, we had absolutely no problems at all with them, if you don’t want anything from them just tell them No Thank-you and they will move on. Always thought that they were very friendly and never had any issues at all.

EXCURSIONS- If you want to book anything seriously book them with the Playa Dorado Excursions team that sits outside the Edens Restaurants most days…Carlos Dio and Johnny are the best out of any of them. They save you so much money and have the best trips by far! We did the Dune Buggies and the City Trip into Puerta Plata.. And enjoyed them so much. I would HIGHLY recommend them!

HOLIDAY TRIP TEAM- Inside the resort they have people trying to get you to take a hour (60mins) with them to try to sell you time share- they say it’s not but it is, It was a real pain in the A**. They were very very rude and I would NOT recommend doing the (60Mins) as it is a waste of time

4  Thank howieg36
Reviewed 6 December 2009

we arrived, and cleared through check-in very quickerly. greeted by freindly staff.
we have stayed in this area for many years for our annual holiday, but this was our first time at this hotel, I must admit after reading other reviews was worried, but all this was unfounded, as we had the best time ever in this resort. This was my son,s first visit and wanted to buy a property there, the hotel was fresh clean freindly and the food was very good compared to the other hotels we have stayed at in this resort.
The rooms were very clean beds changed and towels every day and restocked every day with fresh water and pop drinks in the supplied fridge. for your information, they do have hair driers, ironing board and iron, tv,s and a coffee machine which is also resocked every day with local coffee
The beach is on your door step, with beach towels supplied,
there are a lot of beach vendors but if you say no, they do go away,
Now after all the posative, there has to be a negative, the only one i have is that they do have timeshare touts on sight, and they do myther you, and did hound us, but they do get the message eventually.
all in all we couldnt fault this complex, un like others in thie same beach area.
We had a great time, and have booked to go back in march. and are really looking forward to it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank dphenshall
Reviewed 1 December 2009

I was very nervous about going to this resort after reading some of the reviews prior to my departure. But I had an AMAZING time! Our room was so nice and clean, the beds extremely comfortable. I am a very picky eater, but found ample amount of choices at every meal - best ever pork chops, rice pudding, and chocolate ice cream!! The staff were very nice and personable. The beach was GREAT one side was nice for snorkelling and the other for swimming. There was a mall 1 min outside the hotel gate for tourists (make sure you go upstairs, there is a store that sells necklaces bracelets etc. EXTREEMLY cheap!) also there is a pizza hut at the mall - the best ever!! I did one excursion to the Ocean World - very worth the money paid and I cant wait to do it again. My only negative feeling was.. I don’t think I would travel here alone, I found the nationals to be a bit "pushy". I had no issues with the weekends when the resort opened up to locals - I had no issues at the buffet or anything like I had read in other reviews... I guess if you respect others, you get respect in return. One note, I don’t know if it was because I was there low season - but this was not the resort if you were looking for a party - IT WAS SOOO RELAXING! but the party option was there if you wanted to go to that mall just outside the resort. I will definitely be going back.

Secret..... dont buy anything from the venders on the beach at all and after the second day they leave you alone - just keep saying "no thank you", as soon as you buy something from one person or even show interest in something its OVER....

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
7  Thank juicyfruitToronto
Reviewed 30 November 2009

No Bullcrap review:

Upon arrival you receive a welcome cocktail, bagboy brings your luggage to your room. Check in took about 10 minutes and we had about 30 people off our bus. Quick and easy, beautiful room as well.

Resort is nice, but small. You have a theater, disco, games room, pool, 3 restaurants, 2 bars and a swim up bar. Beach is nice, but there is no shade at all which is bad for someone like me who burns easy. Beach also has lots of pushy people selling anything and everything. Very pushy, you actually have to be rude and walk away because they don't stop.

Food was awesome, if you can't find something to eat then go down to the restaurant at the plaza. There is something for everyone I promise, different pasta, seafood, meat everyday plus tons of veggies, salad, soup, and daily specials. A la carte's were good but I preferred the buffet.

Pool is cleaned once in the morning so it can get dirty by the afternoon, but that is your own fault and you can't have a poolboy cleaning while we are all swimming and playing volleyball. Animation team is fantastic, instead of being lazy and lying around do some of the stuff, they have tons of activities for you to keep busy. They work very hard and 6 days a week morning until night. Coca-cola, chiqui, and beauty always want to make sure you have a good time. Different shows every night and they were fun to say the least.

Pool bar closes at 11:00, Beach bar at 12:00 and Disco at 1:00. I wish the disco was open until 2 or 3 but you just grab a couple drinks to go and head down to the bbq by the beach for the rest of the night. One problem is that the resort is on a tight schedule if the bar closes at 1:00 it means 1:00 no more drinks, no more music, find something else to do.

Everything at hotel is way overpriced, there is a mall in the complex about a 2 minute walk from resort and get everything about 75% off compared to hotel. If somebody is trying to sell you cigars for $50 they're worth $25, bracelets for $10 don't pay more than $5 believe me. The bracelets with the Dominican stone in them can be found for $3 american opposed to $10-15 or $90 for a real silver one. Everything is fake.

Very important to bring a calculator because if not you will be robbed blind, all vendors exchange different. They just want to see how much they can scam you out of. 100 peso's is equivalent to $2.82 American. I heard of people spending $5 USD for 100 pesos. They will take your money and you wont know any different.

Problem: On Saturday night the locals do come from the capital city. This is a good day to book an excursion and have your dinner at one of the a la carte restaurants. They're not the friendliest of people and are very loud but they have a good time just like we would back home. Arrive at about 3 on Saturday and check out at 1 Sunday afternoon.

Had a great time and met tons of awesome people. Your vacation is what you make of it, don't focus on negative things and have fun.

Great Time at this resort.

8  Thank KEVINCambridgeON
Reviewed 20 November 2009

stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks with my partner, when we got there it looked lovely, the cleanest hotel iv stayed at, went to the buffet and the food was just bad, it says theres a snack bar but its only open 12 till 4, n thats wot time the buffet is open to but the buffet always closed before 3 so dont leave it to late, the only thing you can get at the snack bar is nasty tasting burgers that are ment to be beef?? chicken which was the best thing i ate out there, pizza which was always alittle hard, and potatos which was ok, it says there is different themed food nights, which is untrue!!! the only thing different each night was the music so french night same food different music! we had chips once there, we had to eat out towards the end at hemmingways bar at the plaza were the food was beautiful, when we told the rep about the food problem, he said fill up on salad??? this wasnt what i wanted to hear! my boyfriend lost a stone out there because he just ate bread!!!! which you dont go all inclusive for!!! moving on the trips are over priced and would no recomend going on the freestyle boat trip!!! the mega trucks was fab n swimmin with the dolphins omg fantastic would do it 20 times over i recomond payin the money becasue it was well worth it. and he city tour was ok. our roof leaked for the 2 weeks i told the hotel 4 times and all they did was send a man up who said it was ok but leaked the next day but they was not bothed. 1 night we didnt have hot water i rang reception about 5 times and he said he would ring me back, and i am still waiting for the phone call, the locals on the weekend is not a problem if you book your trips for then but at the bar you get served last the buffet you wont get a table and we got told you cant go in there bare foot or with a big t-shirt on that covers you up, but when the locals came they went in with towels wrapped around them and sat down wet leaving the chairs wet for every 1 else. the plus side to this hotel is the entertainment staff who try there best!!!! so join in with them!!! and how much it is cleaned, and if you tip the maid she leaves you more pop, sorry its a long 1 but we spent alot of money to b very dissapointed.

3  Thank sara2209