I visited this hotel in May 2 years ago and proposed marriage to my partner, I then visited again Oct 2011, and nothing has changed much.
This hotel is Very Clean, maid service is everyday, the mini-bar is free in your room and topped up every day. The room also has Air-Conditioning which is great, just put some plastic spoons in the card machine by your room entrance to keep the electric on all the time and wack it up to full. Its soo refreshing after a hot day in the scortching heat. If you have a suite you get a ceiling fan also which blowes the air con down from over the top of the bed. In a standard double the air con is by the entrance to your room. There are a few English speaking channels and film channels on the TV when you get back to your room at night to finish drinking the minibar!
You get a welcome drink upon arrival which is very refreshing after the long flight of 9 hours! Check-in is quick and all the staff are extremely friendly. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at this hotel.
The entertainment staff are not like Butlins lets say but they really do try their best to get you involved in all their activities. Look out of "Donkey" he is one crazy guy! I can recommend that you try out the water vollyball each day at 11am. Its craazzyy fun! and im an overweight guy who just likes to lie by the pool all day with drinks!
The food in the Al-La-Carte restaurants is amazing and the service again is second to none. The Italian was by far the best Restaurant and this is in the Beata block which is away from the main hotel complex. The pool area and pool itself is very clean with no scummy residue around the top of the tiles. The pool boy cleans it every morning. Also the pool areas are washed down with bleech again every morning.
Say hi to "Franklin" on the pool bar, he is a great guy and he remembers your favourite drinks also. The beach again, fantastic!!, lovely soft sands and the ocean water is actually warmer than the pool. there is also a nice breeze which is perminantly there to keep you cool and the beach bar is right on the beach so no need to walk for ages to get yourself a drink. There are plenty of sun loungers so again no need to reserve one first thing in the morning. I would definately recommend going to the beach around 5.45am one day of your visit though to see the sunrise. It really is spectacular.
The entertainment at night, the shows, etc.... just the same repetative things really, and a bit noisy for my liking. Im not knocking it becuase some people like that sort of thing and it was popular with a lot of the people at the hotel. Just not for me... i enjoy a quiet conversation, sat watching the world go by and the waves running to the shores whilst enjoying a coctail or two! Something which is available everynight till 11.30pm at the beach bar. They have a nice CD with swing and jazz music playing also which helps set the mood!
The hotel also has a gymnasium and sauna, but i didnt use these facilities so i cant comment on how good they are! Im not fat for nothing you know!
TIP for those who like facebooking etc... on holiday. Dont pay for the wireless internet at the hotel. Some days it is free when their router crashes!! also it is perminantly free if you go to the shopping precinct which is about a 5 minute walk away.
The whole of the resort is very secure with guards checking that only people with wristbands on come onto the hotel premisis. Be aware though there are loads of people outside the hotel trying to sell you trips and jewelry which is cheaper in the shopping precinct!
This hotel is perfect for anyone who wants to get away with their family or on their own as there is places you can go to be by yourself or in groups.
Hope you all find this review helpful, I would not worry about a thing this hotel is superb, and I would not hesitate to book again in the near future. Maybe to celebrate my first year married next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic
- VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata