VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$160
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$157
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$156
US$287
US$207
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$130
  • Pool
US$158
US$132
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
US$131
  • Pool
ClubHotel Riu Merengue(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$113
TripAdvisor
5,822 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildinga la carte restaurantsroyal packagecarlos santanamain poolbeach vendorsocean worldswim up bardominican republicitalian restaurantparadise islandtwo weeks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I visited this hotel in May 2 years ago and proposed marriage to my partner, I then visited again Oct 2011, and nothing has changed much.

This hotel is Very Clean, maid service is everyday, the mini-bar is free in your room and topped up every day. The room also has Air-Conditioning which is great, just put some plastic spoons in the card machine by your room entrance to keep the electric on all the time and wack it up to full. Its soo refreshing after a hot day in the scortching heat. If you have a suite you get a ceiling fan also which blowes the air con down from over the top of the bed. In a standard double the air con is by the entrance to your room. There are a few English speaking channels and film channels on the TV when you get back to your room at night to finish drinking the minibar!

You get a welcome drink upon arrival which is very refreshing after the long flight of 9 hours! Check-in is quick and all the staff are extremely friendly. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at this hotel.

The entertainment staff are not like Butlins lets say but they really do try their best to get you involved in all their activities. Look out of "Donkey" he is one crazy guy! I can recommend that you try out the water vollyball each day at 11am. Its craazzyy fun! and im an overweight guy who just likes to lie by the pool all day with drinks!

The food in the Al-La-Carte restaurants is amazing and the service again is second to none. The Italian was by far the best Restaurant and this is in the Beata block which is away from the main hotel complex. The pool area and pool itself is very clean with no scummy residue around the top of the tiles. The pool boy cleans it every morning. Also the pool areas are washed down with bleech again every morning.

Say hi to "Franklin" on the pool bar, he is a great guy and he remembers your favourite drinks also. The beach again, fantastic!!, lovely soft sands and the ocean water is actually warmer than the pool. there is also a nice breeze which is perminantly there to keep you cool and the beach bar is right on the beach so no need to walk for ages to get yourself a drink. There are plenty of sun loungers so again no need to reserve one first thing in the morning. I would definately recommend going to the beach around 5.45am one day of your visit though to see the sunrise. It really is spectacular.

The entertainment at night, the shows, etc.... just the same repetative things really, and a bit noisy for my liking. Im not knocking it becuase some people like that sort of thing and it was popular with a lot of the people at the hotel. Just not for me... i enjoy a quiet conversation, sat watching the world go by and the waves running to the shores whilst enjoying a coctail or two! Something which is available everynight till 11.30pm at the beach bar. They have a nice CD with swing and jazz music playing also which helps set the mood!

The hotel also has a gymnasium and sauna, but i didnt use these facilities so i cant comment on how good they are! Im not fat for nothing you know!

TIP for those who like facebooking etc... on holiday. Dont pay for the wireless internet at the hotel. Some days it is free when their router crashes!! also it is perminantly free if you go to the shopping precinct which is about a 5 minute walk away.

The whole of the resort is very secure with guards checking that only people with wristbands on come onto the hotel premisis. Be aware though there are loads of people outside the hotel trying to sell you trips and jewelry which is cheaper in the shopping precinct!

This hotel is perfect for anyone who wants to get away with their family or on their own as there is places you can go to be by yourself or in groups.

Hope you all find this review helpful, I would not worry about a thing this hotel is superb, and I would not hesitate to book again in the near future. Maybe to celebrate my first year married next year!

Room Tip: Beata Block is away from hotel and beach and in quiet pool area. Main Pool area is next to beach and has partial sea views.
11  Thank Dazdisco
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Simply the best. Service, friendliness, cleanliness. Buffet was superior (though it remains a buffet), access to the beach is nearby. 2 pools, one for action, one for quiet reading. Bathrooms plenty and clean. Variety of setups on the beach. Beachside bar and restaurants are the cutest little places ever, with the best staff - incredibly nice people.

Breakfast starts at 7am - nice! Food closes late at night. 3 à la carte, one is tops. Great multilingual service. Seems to be a nice place for couples with kids, with shows organized, etc. There is nearby departure for a major service for snorkeling on catamarans - really nice boats.

I have to list downsides, even though rather minor stuff. The room safe is a bit small - doesn't fit a large laptop - bring a small one. Speaking of Internet, the service was patchy, they were having problems. And it's a paying service - annoying.

Alcoholic drinks are a bit watered down I think - but no biggie. Choice of watercraft is limited, but still some OK choice, and free.

Beach is not the best by a long shot - limited spots for swimming long distances, esp. at low tide.

Beach hustlers are a bit annoying, but used to it and same everywhere. Easy to fix.

Overall: did I say great place, with the friendliest service ever ?
Definite return...

Room Tip: Ask to change if not happy with view or location.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pierre C
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I went with my sister on 27 Oct for 1 week. it was really lovely.the beach was gorgeous lily gave us a pedicure while sat on a sun bed on the beach.how i feel about the hotel the food was really good and staff couldn't do enough for you.the party on the beach was really good. i have happy memories.i found the rooms a bit dated but was OK.and clean the bed was comfortable.met a lot of people,and made lots of friends.The.music in beach bar was really lovely i felt like I was in a south pacific movie.i would come maybe in a few years.as i like to see other places.

Room Tip: We asked for a sea view although we could just see it from the left side and the pool on the right..it was shaded in the afternoon as it was hot i thought it id rather it be in the shade so i was happy with the room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank susieXX
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We flew from Manchester on the 19th of october 2011 and didn't know what to expect at all. The flight is a long time but we soon found out it was worth it. The weather all round is great, we had two days where we had quick storms that didn't last longer than an hour and entertainment was provided during the day to keep us all dry! Our room was perfect and the maid was excellent. All the staff were amazing, and they never failed to make you smile.

The best part of the holiday for me was the entertainment. A lot of people thought the entertainment was poor but the entertainers do an amazing job and if you join in you soon learn that the really it isn't that bad. During the day there were activities, crazy games, water aerobics, water volleyball, another crazy game and bingo which was good later on when it was cooler. On a night the show's weren't the best but they tried to get the guests involved in whatever was going on and twice a week a group of dominican dancers came in to dance, they were very good however if you're like me and don't enjoy things like that it did get a little boring. It's very easy to get attached to the animation team because they're all so nice, Manny, Donkey, Mickey Mouse, Shakalaka and Mini Me do a great job and make sure your happy!

The food was amazing. I can sometimes be a fussy eater when it comes to foods i've never tried before but i was the complete opposite. Everyday I had melon before every meal and then tried different things. The chicken is the best, they cook chicken in every way you could think of in a variety of sauces that were all delicious. The Italian did let us down a little we only went once but we felt that the standard of food compared to the main restaurant was a bit disappointing and the waiters weren't as friendly. The waiters in the main restaurant soon get used to your face and by the second week brought our drinks without asking us because they knew what we wanted. One of the waiters at lunch started to teach us spanish and the banter we had with him was hilarious. The waiters walk around smiling and making sure you're ok and if you need anything. The lady who greets you on an evening is so nice, and it was so easy to make conversation with her, she knew where we sat every night and made sure we got out table.

The beach is great, there are beach vendors on the beach but if you just say 'no thank you' then they move on. We found it cooler on the beach and spent the first two days there, however i did find my legs were burnt. For the following weeks we just stayed around the pool, getting a lounger was easy enough and with an umbrella up you usually manage to stay in the shade. Playing volleyball in the water can make you burn without noticing so make sure you wear plenty of cream and don't stay in for too long.

The worst part of the holiday for me was having to come home. I found myself in tears the night before and the day we left. I couldn't believe what we had to leave behind and that I may possibly never see some of the amazing people i'd met there again. All the staff were wanting photos with us and were asking us for the photos. Saying goodbye to the entertainment was the hardest because I became very close to the animation team. I know that we will definitely be returning the same time next year and I know that we will have another great holiday that we can remember, it just seems a long time to wait!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool towards the beach are quieter as the entertainment can become quiet loud on a night.
4  Thank jessicah6153
Reviewed 25 November 2011

One word sums up our holiday - Excellent!! Can't wait to go back next year

Room Tip: Away from the pool & either 2nd or 3rd floor - very quiet
1  Thank Ruth H