VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$157
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$159
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
Hotels.com
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$155
Hotels.com
US$287
US$278
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$130
  • Pool
US$158
US$129
US$200
US$131
  • Pool
ClubHotel Riu Merengue(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$113
TripAdvisor
5,810 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildinga la carte restaurantsroyal packagecarlos santanamain poolbeach vendorsocean worldswim up bardominican republicitalian restaurantparadise islandtwo weeks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We just got back from our third visit to this resort. For the price ($1,000 a person), it's an amazing bargain. Staff are wonderful. Food and drink is very good. Great walks around the resort and beach. It's close to the airport! The rooms are being upgraded. A brand new flat screen TV with cable was in our room and while we were there small upgrades were going on. They charge for wifi which is not acceptable these days. That has to change. Advice -walk over to the nearby little plaza and beside Pizza Hut there is free wifi.

Room Tip: If you don't like to party late, ask for a room away from the main pool area.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank GuinnessBoy1950
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Well, this is my first review and I will be honest.

Rooms are big and in good condition. Rooms kept well and room staff clean them everyday. Towels changed every day too. In general I can say that I liked room we stayed in. Clean and nice. Bed was huge! However bathroom was a bit out of date.
Food was great. Lots of variety. Although I didnt like any of restaurants. I preferred to go to buffet. As I said lots of variety for every taste. Especially I liked to visit buffet in the evening as chefs were cooking nice variety of meats. My girlfriend is vegeterian and she was satisfied with food for all our stay. We stayed for 12 days.
Resort has few bars. One pool bar. One bar next to beach so you dont have to walk far away if you getting tan on the beach. Drinks were nice. Also big variety for every taste. Cocktails, straight shots, beer, iced water. Whatever you want. Bartenders are very polite and smiley.
Beach itself is very clean and well maintained. No rubbish.
In general we have enjoyed our stay in resort and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We have stayed in Beata building and i can say at nights it was a bit loud. Music pumping until 2-3 am. There is a club not far away from resort. If you want quiet nights then choose any other building.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Viktor L
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Beautiful smaller resort, wonderful people, delicious food!! Beautiful well kept beach, beautiful sunrises...very clean rooms! Did I say EXCELLENT food, something for everyone and a large variety, A la cartes(3) all delicious!!! Outback safari and Paradise island excursions well worth the cost!

Very friendly and courteous staff,some the maids didnt speak english.... if their was a language barrier, shame on us for not learning a the language!!!

Ihave to say the beds were pretty comfy...slept at least 7-8 hours/night!!

The main pool was the hub of action, swim up bar, activities going on , music, kids club off to the side with their own little pool, there is a quiet pool with its own bar for those prefering a a more peaceful atmosphere..
We spent our days at the beach.....taking in the beauty of the ocean....I know some complain about the beach vendors....but they are just trying to make a living, we did buy from them n everyday they would stop by just to make sure we didnt NEED anything else lol, and have a chat...very nice folks, no need to be rude, just say no THANK you, they will leave you alone.

As for the night life, they did have nightly entertainment, usually over by 10-1030...for us that was fine, we were up at 6am walking the beach and catching the beautiful sunrises, so by that time we were ready for bed

I read many reviews before going and now that I have been , i cant believe the trivial complaints I have read , such as no water pressure or outdated rooms...they dont speak english!! For goodness sakes, you are visiting a beautiful country,...enjoy it, take an excursions , learn about the country, the people, enjoy the experience.....

had more pics but couldnt get them to load....:(

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
11  Thank Jocelyne B
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We just got back from our holiday from Feb 5-12/12. This resort is beautiful! My husband and I have travelled to many 5* resorts through DR and Mexico and found that this hotel was comparable if not better then some of the 5 * we've stayed at. The rooms were clean and well kept. The food at the buffet had alot of variety to choose from. There was always a different selection every night. The 3 a la cartes were wonderful. I wish they would let you book them more than 3 times! The service was great for the most part. Sometimes you had to wait for coffee in the morning, but the resort was booked up when we were there.

The one thing we did notice is that you don't get service at the pool or beach so you have to get up and get your own drinks. This is better for me because I need to get off my butt anyway! The beach is gorgeous and you can walk barefoot for miles. The water is torquoise and clear. One thing to note: the beach vendors are little overwhelming at times, but once you said no, we found most didn't bother you again. They did come back the next day and ask you again though. The entertainment was good. They had a beach party one night, which we loved! We didn't do any tours, but spoke to Caesar everday. If you want someone genuine-book with him. Also Gregory the horse man-was a riot. He made us laugh everyday! Overall loved this vacation and looking forward to returning next Febraury for sure!!!! Cheers!

Room Tip: Of note: we stayed in the Saona building, which had great sea views. I would recommend requesting this.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sunlover0667
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This is our fifth year going to the Dominican and our third time in Puerto Plata. We truly enjoy this country and the people. This is our first VH hotel and our first stay at the Gran Ventana. We liked how close it was to the airport. When we arrived, only two of the three rooms were ready and they separated one of the rooms. We were on a family vacation so staying together was important for us.

We stayed by the "quiet pool" and find out later what a godsend it is to stay there. All the rooms were suites and quite spacious. The only thing about the rooms was that they did not have dressers to put the clothes in. No closets, just a few small drawers.

The staff there was generally very friendly especially the bartenders. They made us feel like family and we reciprocated the affection. The a la carte restaurants we really nice. We really enjoyed the Italian one. The service was always stupendous and the food was decent for the Dominican.

The hotel does seem to wind down at around 10pm and there is no disco on the premise. If adults are looking for late night entertainment they will need to head into the square.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family