“Great Vacation!!!”

Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Bridgewater, Canada
“Great Vacation!!!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We have traveled to the large majority of the Caribbean vacation hot spots. We have yet to return to the same resort twice as we enjoy new experiences. This was our second visit to the DR, but the first to Puerta Plata.

We stayed at the Gran Ventana March 15-22, 2014. The trip to the resort was quick!! Upon arrival proceed directly to the front desk to check in, do not wait for your luggage as it is stored by the entrance until your rooms are ready. Once rooms are ready you are given a receipt from the front desk to give to bell hop and they in turn take your luggage to your room(s). Our rooms weren't ready until 3:30pm so we explored the grounds and were very pleased with what we observed. What others had reported as old and/or dated we saw as rustic and having character...

There were five in our group ranging from 16 to 54. We had two adjoining rooms on the ground floor in the Saona Building and we had a third room in the Catalina building. A request at the front desk easily switched the rooms so we were all together after the second day.

The resort is well laid out and it is quick to get anywhere within the complex. It is very cozy and to be honest it was so comfortable that it felt like we had been there before. No complaints about the layout what so ever.

The staff were excellent, consistently 100% great to deal with. Our maid was so nice and enjoyed hearing our newly learned spanish after the daily lessons. We left a few US dollars per room each day and some little treats for her to snack on. The entertainment crew were wonderful and our teenagers made quick friends with them all. When the manager, Oscar, goes out of his way to talk to you almost each day, it makes you feel welcomed to be there.

The food was great in both the buffet and the A la Cartes...there was something for all of us everyday, we were never bored with the selection, it was more than I would see at home in a week :) Book your A la Cartes and the seating time for the managers night(Wednesday night) as soon as possible to get an early seating. This is done in the Beata Building lobby, located past the tennis courts towards the plaza. The booking desk is open from 8am to 4pm each day. We had all of our meals at 6:30 pm except for the Managers night which was 7pm.

We divided our time equally between the beach and the pool, both are great!!! We were early risers so getting chairs were no problems, they tend to go quick and by mid morning the pool chairs are gone. By 0630-0700am the beach shelters are getting hard to get. People, including us, would save them with towels while they grabbed breakfast and then return to use them for the day. We did not see many saved chairs that were not quickly filled after breakfast. There were lots of chairs also available in the shaded tree areas just behind the beach shelters. At various times through the days chairs were always becoming available at both sites.

The vendors on the beach were very polite and friendly, we had great conversations and they were not pushy at all. The ladies bought several items from several vendors throughout the week, they do dicker with price to a point so don't be afraid to negotiate. It helps if you have visited the Playa Dorada complex just outside the resort to compare prices for your souvenirs, this lets you know what the going price ranges are. The vendors prices start higher but will go lower in most items, but not all. I purchased coffee cheaper at the mall then on the beach( the coffee is great!!!!!!)

My daughter and I enjoy snorkeling and there were a lot of fish in the reefs directly in front of and to the right of the life guard tower, we were able to take good pixs and some video.

We met a great guy on the beach, Diomedes Parra, or "Dio" as he calls himself. Dio works on the beach and offers to sell the excursions. He is a no pressure guy and we talked at length almost every day, I highly recommend him as he treated us very good. If you want to reach him before you arrive to see what he offers his email is tenares@hotmail.fr and his cell # is 1-829-875-7636.

We did the city tour and the cable car. It was really good and our group had a private van so we could pick and choose our options, the driver "fabio" was a great guy and took you where you wanted to go. We went to the Brugal Rum Factory for a tour. It was interesting and we sampled rum in their showroom/retail outlet. We bought several bottles of rum for $4-$5 each, (they went for twice that price at the duty free airport store.)

Due to our dinner reservation we chose to cut our excursion short so we missed out on seeing the mall, the fort and Neptune's Island. As we had already purchased our souvenirs from the vendors and/or the mall I would have passed on the flee market(four small stores) and the amber jewelry factory. We did however locate items we were unable to find elsewhere. The cable car was cool and the views were great. At the top there are people to take your photo's using your own cameras, they know exactly where you should stand and how to pose to get pixs of you and the statue of Christ. It looks like you are holding is hand, his arms, holding him in your hands, etc. They do not want tips but they are however store owners and their stores are located inside the building under the statue. They want you to buy stuff from their store as a trade off for the pixs...they were slightly more aggressive but did dicker on price. We bought some jewelry, a coffee mug and a key chain. It was a win win for all. If we would have done a morning trip we could have visited all the sites.

The drinks at the resort are good, the best drinks we found were the paralizers, sombreros and the margaritas. I for one really enjoyed the Presidente Beer. We bring the bubba mugs to keep our choice of beverage nice and cold. They also doubled as a great tea mug for the early morning.

The night time entertainment was good, there is a pre-show and then the main show. While we were their the Wisconsin Band "the Jimmy's" were there and provided a live concert for all the guests, it was a wonderful treat and a great night.

The shows end about 11pm, for the few nights we went to bed early we could still hear the show from our room, but it did not go late so it wasn't an issue.

To close off my review and reflect on the overall experience, I realize everyone has their own comfort levels, expectations and perceptions...this trip for us was one of our best. It felt like we had been here before and it was like visiting an old friend, it was very relaxing and comfortable. Would we return again in the future, you bet we would!!! Loved it x 5.

9 Thank coldinnovascotia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hopewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was one of the best trips I have ever been on. The staff were incredible, the food was good, the rooms were nice, and the view was beautiful.

I do not think our stay would have been the same without the awesome staff. The bartenders were willing to make drinks anyway that you wanted them and were always good for laughs and conversation. Luis, Miguel, Joan, Jose, and Johan definitely made getting drinks a fun time. The entertainment staff was excellent as well. They made a point to get to know everyone on the resort and planned some really fun activities. Water aerobics was definitely my favorite daily activity and every day more and more people got involved. The nightly entertainment was great as well, it was always very amusing, especially Mr. Gran Ventana. Every member of the entertainment staff; Blondie, Delfy, Coca Cola, Hercules, Barbie, Allan, Supertino69, Jesusito, Jose Felix, Sweet-T, Laura they all made it a great trip and the fun times with them were definitely my highlight.

I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation with a lot of laughs. There is a wide age range of people staying on the resort so there is opportunities for everyone to enjoy themselves. I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank JerseyTurnpike
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was traveling with family and friends.
My first couple of hours was not very good, we arrived at 11 am and was told we had to wait to get our room at 3pm. This was not an issue until I went at 3 and my room was not ready, their reason was because the people in the room prior to me had a late check out. I was told to come back in half hour and still not ready, this went on for a couple of hours, I finally got into my room around 5pm, needless to say I was not happy. My first day left me very frustrated and upset.
The rooms are very plain and outdated, but very clean.
The food at the beach bar and grill was outstanding, the wings are really good.
The main eating area did not seem to be large enough for the amount of people staying at the resort.
The pool area was outstanding, loved the couchs and tables near pool. My grand-son loved the pool tables near the pool area also.
The staff were great, but the front desk staff not so much.
As my time went on the resort started to grow on me, I don't think I will ever return but the resort is very clean and no bugs.

Room Tip: We were in the quiet area, with the quiet pool, nice area to end your day.
2 Thank Sherry C
Redding, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I shouldn't have worried. I took my college daughter to the Gran Ventana for her spring break last week. I got a package deal with jetBlue which I (and everyone else I told) thought was extremely reasonable so, although most reviews I read were positive, I was still concerned that it may be, let's say, 'a little rough and ready'. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised.

(See end of review for most useful tip.)

It's been a while since I stayed at a 'main stream resort hotel' (and have never done 'all inclusive') as we usually look for somewhere a bit more off the beaten path. However, the GV, despite being relatively busy, never had the feeling that it was overcrowded. It was a very mixed crowd, which was nice: everyone from families to college kids and older folk. I think that led to a nice atmosphere. There was daily entertainment, which was good and plenty of willing participants in the games. The college kids were all very pleasant and well behaved, which was great.

The room was modern, clean, everything worked well and there were plenty of channels to watch on the flat screen TV for any time spent inside, including all major US networks. They even put a couple of beers and sodas in the fridge for you (all included) and replace them each day.

We only used the main cafe/restaurant, as we didn't really want to be tied to reservation times in the a la carte restaurants, but we were never once disappointed by the quality or selection of the food or the service, if we wanted a glass of wine. The waiters will also serve beer but I tended to help myself from the tap which was readily available. We never had to wait more than a few moments to be seated for any meal.

I have read reviews which complained about towels but we had no problem with this. We had three or four bath towels in the bathroom, which the maids were happy to replace each day (although I am happy to let them dry over the shower rail and use again, which is optional to conserve water). You do have to make pool towels last for a day, as you are given a ticket for one and they are only replaced between 3 and 6pm daily. I can only imagine the laundry bills and water used if there was an unlimited supply, so this was fine with us.

We always managed to get a sunbed by the pool or on the beach. The beach was very nice and clean, the sunbeds of good quality and we weren't bothered by vendors, although we may have been lucky.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and (seemingly) happy to serve. Obviously, tips are appreciated but we thought that was the least we could do. A supply of singles is a good idea, although the bar staff will always change a 10 or 20 for you (reception desk staff didn't seem to be able to do this).

One really useful tip I'd like to pass on is this - before you book any excursions through the hotel or the livery company doing airport transfers, go to visit Albert in the mall. The mall is just a few yards in front of the main entrance of the hotel on the right hand side and Albert's kiosk is the first thing you come to. He speaks excellent English (he used to be married to a lady from Liverpool, England) and has a great sense of humor. You will save a fortune. Please note that he couldn't accept credit cards when we were there, although he will take both US $ and DR pesos.

We went on the full day excursion to Paradise Island, which we really enjoyed (see separate review). Two ladies we traveled back with on the bus said that they were quoted US $170 each for this trip. We paid US $55. We also did the half day Puerto Plata trip, which was nice as we saw the city and went up the cable car to the mountain top where the 'mini Cristo Redentor' statue is located. The cable car ride was worth the price of the excursion alone.

9 Thank 15MW
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed at the gran ventana a while back and found it to be very impressive. Staff where very helpful and the entertainment didn't become tiresome like other places we have been. All in all a pleasant stay :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stelord85
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 March 2014

A very pleasant stay at the VH Gran Ventana! I've been to 10+ all inclusives in the Caribbean/Mexico, and I would say VH Gran Ventana is a average - not 5 star, but a wonderful value! Great staff, buffet plus three restaurants (tip - make your reservations for the restaurants during the first morning of your trip), typical all inclusive shows (nothing amazing, but decent entertainment), yummy drinks, self-serve tea and coffee available all day, good pool, and pretty beach!

Our air conditioning wasn't working properly (would turn off after 15 minutes), but with some persistence and patience we got changed to a better room. Also, all restaurants are closed from 5-6:30 which is quite annoying when you what a late afternoon snack before a late dinner!

Overall, you can't beat palm trees and beautiful weather! A very nice trip!

Room Tip: Ask to be in a room that does not face the pool!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 March 2014

after 20 yrs of going to dom. republic we booked gran ventana and it was not as advertised. the resort is nice overall, but the service / management is terrible. the beach is nice, grounds are nice, resort on the small side. the food is always the same no variety at all. we booked several months in advance and requested rooms and did not get them. no coffee pots in rooms etc. just basic rooms. we always tip when we travel but at this resort we saved alot of money because weather you tipped or not the service was terrible. management didn't respond to any requests etc. and the help at times were rude. the only person to actually help or go out of there way for you was the maid, she was very accomadating. just 2 beers per day in mini bar and 2 sodas which is terrible. no coffee pots, irons etc. you have a hard time booking the alacarte restuarants also. I could go on and on but I'll just state stay away from this resort there are much better on the island (most)!!

Room Tip: all buildings only have one way in and out. you cannot get out the ends of buildings which is strang...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 436joeg
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We are so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Gran Ventana. We very surprised to hear that you had bad experiences with the staff. As you can tell from the majority of the other reviews, the staff are the stars of our resort. We are about to launch a “Premium Package” for those travelers who do want to pay extra for upgraded rooms and other top shelf amenities, while not raising prices for the guests who have come to know us as an excellent affordable vacation destination. Please be assured that guest satisfaction is our #1 priority.