“Great stay for the price”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was our first time to the Dominican and we were not sure what to expect, especially since this was our first All-Inclusive trip.

When we first walked into the hotel they automatically took our bags, brought us some wonderful drinks and told us to sit down while they checked us in. The check-in process was quick. We weren't allowed to actually go into our room until 3 p.m., so we simply walked around the resort and waited until we could check in.

The room was simple, nothing spectacular but then again how much time do you actually spend in your room. The hotel itself could use some updates.

I was a bit disappointed that the hotel does not have any type of hot tub. This was the first time that we've stayed at a hotel and there was no hot tub. This was a bit of a bummer.

The pools themselves are clean and kept tidy. Although I wish they had more chairs for people as it was a daily struggle to find chairs to sit at near the pool. The pool towels are a bit annoying; they only allow you to exchange them between 3-6 p.m. I've never had that happen at a resort and wish that you could exchange them as many times throughout the day as you wish.

The food was GREAT! I was a bit worried about having buffet style food while I was there but it was fabulous! The Ocean restaurant was excellent! The smoothie station was great! I absolutely loved that I could have a special, fresh made smoothie every day. Although if you plan on eating at one of the a la cart restaurants that are included then make the reservations the day you arrive, otherwise it can be a struggle to get into one of them; especially around the weekend. If you are looking to have a romantic dinner, I highly recommend to do the romantic beach dinner. You get a soup, salad, bread, main course meal (surf & turf) and a desert for each person all for $150! The food was by far the best we had while on the trip. We even paid a bit extra to have a authentic band play for us while we were having dinner on the beach.

The drinks were fine, I mean for all-inclusive I didn't expect top notch liquor in the first place. Although if you like blended drinks made with a blender that don't do it. None of the bars that I saw had blenders to make drinks.

The beach was nice. The water was warm, the chairs were pretty comfortable for the most part. The one annoying thing was the beach vendors. They will constantly bother you 24/7 while you are trying to relax. Luckily I speak Spanish so it was a bit easier for me to get rid of them.

We watched one of the night time shows; every night they have a different show. The one that we watched was the Dominican dance show. It was a good show, we enjoyed seeing their authentic dances and outfits. I do wish that they had some other night time shows, possibly on the beach or something of that nature.

The one thing I can definitely say is tipping goes a long way.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sandra G

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Ive traveled a lot in my life and i have been to about 8 or 9 all inclusive spots and this by far was the worse one ever. The Buffet was repetitive same thing over and over every single night. The only day i can say that the buffet was good was on WED when they give you a sample of what all the al la carte restaurants offer. The sushi was terrible , the burgers had a strange taste to them, the pork chops and steak chops were about the only thing that saved this from being a all out failure. The salad bar was good so was the pizza. The drinks were all generic brands which to me didn't matter but i know some vacationers care about that. The pool was beautiful have no complaints pool bar was amazing. The entertainment was great as well . The day to be here is Weds for sure because they even have a beach party every weds where you get to meet other tourists as well as locals. Do not book with the hotel they charge double of what you can pay. don't pay more than 60pp for the ATV adventure or 30PP for the waterfall exclursion which i both HIGHLY recommend. The beach is also full of corals be careful of sea urchins for there are on the corals and will poke you.

Room Tip: Choose a beach side room because the pool side is very loud
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank jonathan b
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for your recent visit to Gran Ventana and for your kind words about the entertainment and the hotel. We are sorry to hear that you were not overjoyed with everything at the resort. We pride ourselves to offer a large variety of national and international cuisine of very high standards and we certainly regret that some of the dishes were not to your liking. As for booking excursions at the hotel, these are sold by the destination representatives of the tour operators and they set their own prices. Thank you for letting us know you came across sea urchins – this is the first we have heard of this and will keep an eye out.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We found the staff at this hotel extremely helpful and pleasant and a credit to the Management. One of our party had mobility problems and we e-mailed ahead and requested a wheelchair. This was brought to us immediately on arrival, and our rooms were close to reception, bar and buffet restaurant, as requested. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Food in both the buffet and a la carte restaurants was very good and varied. The hotel and entertainment team quite noisy, however, there is a quiet block, with swimming pool and bar to escape to. The beach was lovely but it was the old, old, story of difficult to get a sunshade unless you get up in the middle of the night and put towels on the beds. This was the only real problem we encountered. All in all, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank carlin2
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I really followed the reviews before arriving myself. Yes it's a 4 star resort not L.A. or the Ritz Carlton but definitely fantastic and you get what you pay for! Loved all 3 restaurants, the grouper at the Italian was excellent! Snorkeling off the beach is great (bring your own snorkels and borrow the fins from the resort). We never made it to Paradise Island which I hear is a 2 hour drive but beachside snorkeling definitely made me happy. I would say my biggest complaint is all the old people who wake up at 5 am to "mark their umbrella" on the beach. Those same people are rude and short with the beach vendors who are trying to make a living. Amanda gave me and my husband lovely massages on the beach, Lily gave me a pedicure and Neury booked us a fun excursion to the waterfalls and horseback riding for my daughters on the beach. The staff are friendly, exceptional and constantly working to keep the place looking pristine! The rooms are so clean (Jr Suite facing the beach). Fun entertainment every night. I would like less American style food at the buffet but there is something for every one. The grounds are excellent but please get some medicine for those cats eyes. The drinks are pre-made syrup like mixes so I would have loved more fresh juice drinks. But definitely, it was worth it, family LOVED it!

Room Tip: Bring your own snorkels and borrow fins from resort. Get a room facing the beach and not the pool. I...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Katherine M
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Came here twice...2012 and 2013. The place is clean which is very important to me. The staff is friendly. The food and drinks are average. The beach is nice; clear and calm. It is one of the better one along that strip.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Shaumaylee
Reviewed 9 April 2014

First trip to Puerta Plata have been going to Punta Cana every year and had no complaints there either. We were very fortunate to get a second trip south in a month so decided on VH Ventenna to celebrate ours friends 35 wedding anniversary. The over all write ups on the resort we not disappointing. Rooms, staff were top notch and I have stayed at a few 5 star in my travels. It is a small resort with everything centrally located and easy to get from one place to another. Must get up early to claim and beach hut or pool chairs but there is not a resort that I have been at that this does not happen and it doesn't bother me because im an early riser anyway and didn't go away to spend most of the morning in bed. So over all I would certainly go back. The only down fall is the amount of vendors on the beach worse I ever seen at one resort and yes I know that's how they make a living. But one gets tired of saving no thank-you after a while.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank BlackRum
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Good place, not too big a hotel, lots of animation. This hotel is a 4 star, not a 4-1/2 that some sites will mention
Food is good and up to par to a 4 star. The buffet has lots of variety but repetitious at times. Snack bar by the beach is good, with chicken, pizza, hamburgers, and fries. Food is well cooked, and hot
We tried only the italian restaurant as all other were booked. Bummer, You need to book your restaurants from day one in the older building, unless you don't mind eating at 22h00. Italian was good, not great. Only place we could have shrimp, and they were all out!!!!.
Rooms are clean, although they could use some freshening up. And we were in the newer section where there was all the animation. If you want quiet, you may want to reserve in the older building, which has no animation, and has a quiet pool.
Animation staff is wonderful... Every night is different theme night, so different shows, if you like to party, you will certainly have fun.
Beach is ok, but is not like Riv Maya, although still quite clean.
Would go back.