This was our first time to the Dominican and we were not sure what to expect, especially since this was our first All-Inclusive trip.
When we first walked into the hotel they automatically took our bags, brought us some wonderful drinks and told us to sit down while they checked us in. The check-in process was quick. We weren't allowed to actually go into our room until 3 p.m., so we simply walked around the resort and waited until we could check in.
The room was simple, nothing spectacular but then again how much time do you actually spend in your room. The hotel itself could use some updates.
I was a bit disappointed that the hotel does not have any type of hot tub. This was the first time that we've stayed at a hotel and there was no hot tub. This was a bit of a bummer.
The pools themselves are clean and kept tidy. Although I wish they had more chairs for people as it was a daily struggle to find chairs to sit at near the pool. The pool towels are a bit annoying; they only allow you to exchange them between 3-6 p.m. I've never had that happen at a resort and wish that you could exchange them as many times throughout the day as you wish.
The food was GREAT! I was a bit worried about having buffet style food while I was there but it was fabulous! The Ocean restaurant was excellent! The smoothie station was great! I absolutely loved that I could have a special, fresh made smoothie every day. Although if you plan on eating at one of the a la cart restaurants that are included then make the reservations the day you arrive, otherwise it can be a struggle to get into one of them; especially around the weekend. If you are looking to have a romantic dinner, I highly recommend to do the romantic beach dinner. You get a soup, salad, bread, main course meal (surf & turf) and a desert for each person all for $150! The food was by far the best we had while on the trip. We even paid a bit extra to have a authentic band play for us while we were having dinner on the beach.
The drinks were fine, I mean for all-inclusive I didn't expect top notch liquor in the first place. Although if you like blended drinks made with a blender that don't do it. None of the bars that I saw had blenders to make drinks.
The beach was nice. The water was warm, the chairs were pretty comfortable for the most part. The one annoying thing was the beach vendors. They will constantly bother you 24/7 while you are trying to relax. Luckily I speak Spanish so it was a bit easier for me to get rid of them.
We watched one of the night time shows; every night they have a different show. The one that we watched was the Dominican dance show. It was a good show, we enjoyed seeing their authentic dances and outfits. I do wish that they had some other night time shows, possibly on the beach or something of that nature.
The one thing I can definitely say is tipping goes a long way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic
- VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata