“Love, love, love!!!”

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Portland, Oregon
“Love, love, love!!!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This was my first time at Gran Ventana Beach resort and I absolutely loved it! We were treated so kindly by all the staff members of this resort that we felt like we were special guests. I absolutely loved Carlos Santana from the animation team (very charming guy, I totally had a crush on him during our stay there :)) Blondie and Barbie were so funny and friendly! I also loved that they had such cute and hardworking waiters at the buffet (Daniel, Ricardo, Raul, Jose, and Carlos - I miss all of you so much!!! :)) I wish they would keep the same people around so that I could see everyone once again when I return to Gran Ventana Beach resort. Thank you everyone for making our stay so memorable and lovely!!!
The rooms very clean and air conditioning worked well. I loved the beach with white sand and clear water. I can't wait to go there again!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Nataliya S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,086)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This may have been my very first vacation, however it will be the vacation to beat. I would choose to go back on the workers and people alone. The resort was breath taking and the staff honestly made us feel like we were VIP. We walked in and were taken care of like we were famous. The buffets that were included had a very large selection of foods, however only downfall is I only found my favorite desert on one night! I found two negative aspects that are not that negative. Wifi is not that good, but its vacation, other than letting people you made it in safe who needs it! And their 3 restaurants are rarely opened all at once, and it is very difficult to get reservations. The security is always out and always on guard. The entertainment was always working, and always getting patrons involved. I will be a returning vacationer many many times in the future. I wish I could list all of my favorite workers, however the list would go on and on. Bartenders: Luis, Elvin, Joan definately my favorites. Entertainment: Carlos and his friend. I highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ashley F
Helena, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Our five day stay was awesome. My advice for future travelers. .. avoid the adventures and other services sold on the beach we were able to find much better deals at the shopping center just up the road. Most meals are served buffet style so if you want the sit down dine service the restaurants are great but make reservations early. WiFi sucks. You have to pay for access and it really only works in lobby. Overall very pleased with staff and room.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brooklyn P
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My second time staying in the DR, I would never stay here again. The drinks were poorly made and cheap, the buffet was so so, but the A la Cartes were pretty good. The pool bar is completly shaded so u cannot enjoy the sun while hanging out there. Pool bar staff and entertainment staff are great. Main lobby bar was not good at all, they served waiters before you all the time. We went as a group, we're in our ealy 30's. This place seemed more for young families not really for partying. Riu Bachate was better and more worth your money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Natasha E
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to Gran Ventana and for your kind words about the staff. We are sorry to hear not everything at the resort was to your liking. You are correct that Gran Ventana is a more family oriented hotel. We do hope that you return to the Dominican Republic.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My daughter's (in their 20's) and I were first time visitors and my friend a returning visitor to the GV. When we arrived, which was Easter weekend, our rooms were not as requested. My daughter had to sleep on a cot for a few nights and we were on different floors. Our rooms were changed days later and still no adjoining rooms. The hotel was totally booked up. It made no difference that our travel agent made reservations and special requests for us. At the end of the trip we asked to stay in our room until our flight departure and we were first told it was for "returning" guests only...which my friend was. That was not good guest service. After they spoke to a manager, we did for an extra $50.00 fee. Btw, there are no elevators. So pray they could accommodate you on the ground floor if you can't walk 3 flights of stairs. The crowd was mixed with everybody but middle-aged people. If I were to return with my husband we'd stand out.
The buffet food was very repetitive but very good We never had to worry about getting sick from the food or drinking the water. A large jug of bottled water and soft drinks were restocked in our fridge. They even had 500ml water bottles upon request. It would help if you can speak Spanish to the Housekeepers as their English is very limited. If you want to try an "a la carte" restaurant you have to make reservations far in advance which we weren't told to do.
Other than taking the sun at the pool or on the beach there were few activities to do at the hotel. The bicycles they say that they have were broken. There were minimal activities to participate in during the day for people in their 50's except sunbathing, eating or napping! The hotel entertainers were so much fun to watch. The staff was friendly and the evening entertainment was very enjoyable. They had Karaoke and Bingo prior to the shows that we participated in. We took a private tour in a van to Sosua which was a good experience. There's a Jewish Museum and Synagogue to visit for a nominal fee and a beautiful beach there to experience. There's a fee to use a lawn chair and bathroom. My daughter's got their hair braided on the beach of the hotel and we bought lots of souvenirs sold by persuasive vendors! Be prepared to say, "no thank you!" There's a small mall that has gift shops and a medical center in walking distance. My daughter had to use the clinic which was clean and professional. Make sure you get Traveller's Insurance before you leave home.
If you're looking for a relaxing vacation in a beautiful setting then I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms are not always available as requested. Make sure you have a ground floor if you can't walk...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marla L
Thank you for your recent visit to Gran Ventana. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your excursions and the hotel entertainment and we do apologize that the rooms you requested were not available. Thank you also for posting your comments and feedback – these are very useful for us and for future guests. Please do sign up on our website to become a returning guest Fidelity Club member – it is free and offers many resort benefits. We do hope to be able to welcome you and your family back very soon.
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 30 April 2014

As 3rd-time visitors we were treated with great warmth. A free fruit plate and bottle of dark rum was brought to our room. The staff, as always, were warm and helpful. Special shout out to Jackie (peligrosa!) and Ramiro at the Beata pool bar, who always remembered what we liked; also Luis and Jose, who are terrific bartenders (kind of like baseball utility players) wherever you might find them.
A little more variety in the buffet menu would be welcome, but the food is excellent. Our room was clean and comfortable, and just what we requested this time around - ocean view, quiet, away from the main pool, second floor.
The management definitely needs to either do something about the beach chair hogs or get more beach chairs. The trick is not to stress; you're not likely to get a chair on the beach unless you get up at an ungodly hour, and you're on vacation, for crying out loud. Sleep in, enjoy a leisurely breakfast, and hit the beach in the afternoon. By 2pm it clears out and it's every bit as lovely as at 10am.
I also suggest that management provide "tap your own beer" kegs for those inconsiderate boors who insist on monopolizing the hardworking bartenders' time and labor as they fill and refill and refill their gigantic beer thermoses. Or ban the damn thermoses altogether.
There was a brief blackout one evening which provide us with an amazing view of the rising full moon. We spent several evenings on the beach stargazing and being moonstruck. The sky was like velvet and the air like silk.
We are avid people-watchers and got a particular kick out of watching folks saunter around the pool area in a delightfully lazy way, but zip around like charged ions at the buffet.
The bottom line is if you want to find something to carp about, you will. The place isn't perfect but what resort is? I actually overheard someone griping because the watermelon had too many seeds. Sheesh.
Just relax and go with the flow.
Oh, and as cat-lovers, we really enjoyed the resort's kitty colony.

Room Tip: Request second floor, away from the main pool, ocean view, quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SpecialK718
Huntsville, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I recently visited the GV for the first time. I have traveled alot, and never have I been to a resort with such good value, amazing customer servie, clean, AMAZING food, and where everything has been carefully thought out and looked after so that the guest has a great experience. The web page for this resort did not sell me on in, I was told by several people it was a great place, I'm glad I took their advice. The web site does not do this resort justice - The layout of the resort is such that it is not overwhelmingly huge, but at the same time has enough space to walk and explore. There is a 'quiet' building which I suggest you request if you like your peace and quiet. The great thing about this resort is that it has two very distinct areas, the quiet and the more activity centred area, the choice is yours dependig on your mood and what you are needing in that moment. To walk from the furthest room on the property to the beach is only a couple of minutes and the it doesn't take long to get anywhere on the property. The grounds are beautiful and so well kept. Everything was very clean, safe, fun, and the people who work at this resort are outstanding. This resort would be great for couples of families because it has a little bit for everyone. We will be back!

Room Tip: The main pool does have lots of activities going on, nothing too crazy, but if that's not your t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple