“Excellent Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Excellent Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I visited with my husband and 14 year old son. On arrival we were given a nice refreshing welcome drink and a cold damp facecloth to freshen ourselves up and it was very welcome indeed. The staff were really friendly and helpful, we were checked in and shown directions to our room, our cases were brought to the room moments later by a bell boy.

The entire place was spotlessly clean and you could see staff cleaning at all hours. We were in Beata block which is near the quiet pool, it was nice and quiet in the evenings which is great for light sleepers. The bar at the quiet pool is lovely, ask for a Jackie Special, haven't a clue whats in it but its so refreshing on a hot day, almost like an alcoholic slush. On the subject of Jackie, she's great, she makes the bar what it is, her dry sense of humour can seem harsh at first but it doesn't take long to realise she's just fooling around, "Jackie, you got a problem with me?" lol

The food was good too, the main buffet restaurant offered a lot of variety, obviously things were repeated a lot but there was plenty to allow you to choose something different everyday and you definately wont go hungry. The other restaurants were ok too, the best of which we found was the Italian one, the Ocean Bar Grill by the beach was great too and they also do lunchtime food which is fab. The Octopus Restaurant above the main buffet was our least favourite as the menu was quite small and the food was just ok.

The entertainment team were the best we've ever seen and they never stop, they work from early morning through to late evening and never seem to run out of energy! The games played by the main pool and on the beach were different every day so it didn't get repetitive and there was no pressure to join in if you didn't want to.

We cannot fault anything about this place and highly recommend it, do not believe the poor reviews, some people seem to look for things to find fault with. The service was impeccable, for example, our son accidently smashed a glass in the bathroom at 11 o'clock at night so I phoned reception to ask if I could borrow a brush and brush pan to clean it up, within 10 minutes a maid was cleaning the bathroom floor thoroughly!

It's normal to tip the staff and we took loads of one dollar notes with us, we we're more than happy to tip often as they couldn't do enough for you.

I would recommend the VIP Paradise Island Excursion, truly a fantastic day and the Captain Roselio was brilliant but remember plenty of high factor sun cream, it's surprising how fast the sun can burn when you're on a boat. The cable car trip to the top of the mountain is also worth doing, great views but go in the morning as we were told its usually clearer.

The beach is beautiful and the vendors are not a problem if you just politely say no thanks, they leave you alone.

We were recommended by friends we met there to have the photographer take some nice pictures as a souvenir for us but I was concerned it would be very expensive, how wrong I was, the photographer spent one and a half hours taking photos with us all around the grounds of the hotel and on the beach, telling us how to stand etc. we met up again the next morning and she showed us the 156 photos she had taken. The photos were of a very high quality and she had positioned us well to capture the moment but our biggest surprise was the price. There were several packages available but we chose an album with 20 of our chosen photos in, plus a larger copy of one photo which we could frame and we were also given a disc with all 156 photos on it, the cost of which came in at just under £100, well worth the money!

It was the Easter weekend whilst we were there which is a huge celebration for the local people and naturally some of them stayed at the hotel for a day or two, but apart from a family who had lower hygiene standards than us (changing dirty nappies of a sunbed by the pool with no towel or anything underneath) and just one night when some locals were celebrating quite loudly at 2 in the morning in the quiet pool, there was really no other problems and these two incidents were no fault of the hotel.

If someone offered us some free tickets we'd be back there tomorrow!

Room Tip: If you request a room in the quieter block ask for one facing the pool as friends of ours had one fa...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jumbobum_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,068)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nova Scodtia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Went with three other couples week of April 19-26, 2014. Our room was not ready, but we plan for that and have bathing suits in our carryon. The room was basically good. The air conditioning was excellent. They need to improve the shower heads, the amount of water coming out was very little at a time. Hard to get a good shower.

At the buffet restaurant, there was no orange juice and also no bacon. This has never been the case at any other resort anywhere we have been.

The buffet restaurant was good but it got boring because they did not change the variety of food very much each day. We had an incident at the buffet where the chef cooking the pork chops told my husband that he could not have one because "someone paid for them and he could not have one". When my husband told me this, I immediately asked for the manager and he said the chef did not speak good English and probably did not understand my husband. Obviously that was not the case. He said he would speak to the chef. He said he did and apologized for him which I thought the chef should have. Very disappointing. We have travelled many times and this has never happened before.

The two a la cartes that we could get into were good. Some of the a la cartes were closed completely some nights so we could not get into the third one which was a disappointment because we were guaranteed three per week.

The beach was nice but the people selling on the beach were beyond. There were so many of them walking up and down all day that it was almost unbearable.

I have been to Cuba many times and I thought DR was a step up but I will never come back to DR again.

Overall we enjoyed the weather and the week away in the sunshine.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hopeNovaScodtia
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to Gran Ventana and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy everything at the resort. We do offer over 500 dishes in the buffet restaurant, but we are sorry to hear your found the selections repetitive. We do appreciate your comments and information provided will have an impact on any improvements that may be necessary to maintain the level of quality that is well known at VH Hotels & Resorts.
Flintshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

great staff .amazing choice of food. travelling as a couple.Just returned.Staff are so frieindly and welcoming.My partner took ill while on holiday the staff were amazing it was on our last day he was rushed to hospital where he stayed overnight.We were both worried about where I was going to stay overnight as i was due to check out 5 hours earlier. There was no need to worry as the manager oscar went to visit my partner in hospital and was reassured that all was ok..We were able to stay in our same room nothing was any trouble they went out of their way to help us .Will definately be returning again.to this hotel to a warm welcome ..Beautiful resort and people even the beach sellers are good to have banter with especially Lilly look out for her she does a amazing pedicure. thank you ventenna beach for a great holiday once again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pauline O
Weston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We went there for kids' spring break. Really only had 3 full days there but am I glad that it's only 3 full days. On day 4, I was longing to go home.

Now the good: Staff was friendly and helpful, always cheerful and ready to help. Location of the hotel is very close to the beach. Beautiful beach! The a la carte restaurant is great. Again, staff and waiters are friendly and helpful. The bar near the pool is great, fully shaded.

The not so good: Very hard to get a chair under the umbrella both by the pool and beach. Luckily we bump into few nice people who let us use the chair while they are in the water. While a la carte restaurants are great, it's very hard to get a reservation. Again, we were lucky that another guest gave us her reservation hearing that we won't be able to book any during our short stay, really appreciated! (The hotel booked one for us at 8:30pm but unable to reschedule us (we have young kids that won't be able to go eat at 8:30pm), so we gave up on that while taking another guest's reservation, which was at 6:30!) The food in the buffet is so so. Drinks are actually bad enough to make me stick to ice tea.

Now the bad: The beds are uncomfortable. Even the clean sheet has some sort of damp smell. It's probably due to the humid weather there. Luckily I brought my own towers, so I put my tower on top of the pillow to avoid the smell while I sleep. If we turn on AC, it's too noisy and cold. If we turn off AC, the room got humid quickly. The bathroom ventilation fan is very loud but needs to be on to avoid that wet/humid feeling. Wish there is a screen to the sliding door so we can turn off AC and open the doors. I tried to sit outside on the deck but got mosquito bites.

In summary, I would probably enjoy the vacation a lot better if I can sleep well at night. On the other hand, kids had a great time in the pool and on the beach. We booked a horse back riding session from the beach. Victor the tour guide was great. Again, everyone we met in DR is really nice.

Room Tip: Maybe try to avoid the first floor so at least you get to enjoy the balcony without mosquitoes. If...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hsifish
Thank you for your recent visit to Gran Ventana. Thank you also for posting your comments and feedback – these are very useful for us and for future guests. We do apologize that you had difficulties with the a la carte reservations; we were at full capacity during your visit. We do have a number of different bed types, so please be sure to put a request for the type that suits you best for your next visit.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Went with 3 friends and had a good time.

The Good
- great service, always there when needed and very friendly ( shout out to elvin the beach bartender)
- rooms were clean and they are not too close to the noise when needed.
- Many excursions and things to do and presented them well.
- Even on site entertainment was fun and exciting
- accessible and relaxing beach, dont mind the wind.

Need to improve on
- Beverage selection was a bit mediocore
- amenities need updating and poolside bar a little revamp in the main part of hotel
- a la cart was good but the buffet should at least have fresh choices from grill like most resorts. burgers and hot dogs cant be for every night. meats in general were not satisying.

Service is number one priority and it was done well. i love the beach bar but a substation would be so cool. overall good experience with my friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Casey D
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

This was my first time ever at an all-inclusive. I have to say the bar was set very high. I will be willing to pay extra to stay there specifically in the future. Loved it and so did my girlfriend. Already recommended to all of my friends and family. My girlfriend said it was better than the one she stayed in Jamaica by far.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael E
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here on Apr 28-May 3/2014. What an amazing place! the staff was great, the resort was beautiful. the pools were awesome, not too crowded. We did 2 excursions that we booked on the beach. (beware of the guys on the beach selling them. I would suggest to book them in the lobby instead of with the "pirates") nonetheless, we got a decent price for 2 excursions. Elvis was our tour guide and he was awesome, definitley made the day! If you are looking for something amazing and cool to do, do the tour of the waterfalls/waterslides. worth every penny. the appetizers at the italian restaurant was by far the best thing i ate while there. The food was ok, not bad, just different than what we are all used to. Our room was very nice and i loved that the patio doors opened up from one side of the room to the other. The resort was definitley more for couples, was only a few children here. The only negative thing i would say was the water temperature in the showers. would change very quickly, so was a bit frustrating at times, but is that enough to give this place a bad review, heck no!!! i would recommend this to anyone looking for a great vacation!!! Well done gran ventana!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple