VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$160
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$157
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$156
US$287
US$207
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$130
  • Pool
US$158
US$133
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
US$131
  • Pool
ClubHotel Riu Merengue(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$113
TripAdvisor
5,822 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildinga la carte restaurantsroyal packagecarlos santanamain poolbeach vendorsocean worldswim up bardominican republicitalian restaurantparadise islandtwo weeks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My girlfriend and I were very picky about the choice of destination and Gran Ventana had the best reviews on Tripadvisor so we decided to go there and ... WOW! We were looking forward for a nice little and relaxing getaway for away from work and all the stress and that's exactly what we got thx to all the lovely staff and all the people around that made this holidays unbelievable.
Service was excellent, waiters were very careful about us and always had a huge smile when coming to the tables.
Food was great, had a lot of choices, I felt for their smoked salmon sauce (one of the best i had), A La Carte restaurant were romantic and food was very enjoyable.
What about the locos entertainers? They made our trip, the activities were fun, the night shows were great! Their smile, their motivation, and their good humor made all the difference and we feel very privilege to have experienced all of that and to have met all those wonderful people that work really hard. Shout out to the "Michael Jackson guy", your show was incredible!
I almost forgot our room maid Alcadia. She did an awesome job our room was always spotless, and to see how those people work and how happy they look all the time makes you realize our lucky we are back here.
We are already planning to come back in january.
Ignore the bad comments it was a great vacation and a great hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David A
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The food was good but not excellent. The places to eat it though were beautiful. The people who served it were that friendly and accomodating that it elevated everything. All staff that we met and became aquainted with from "Oscar The Bossr" to the desk staff, the room maintenace staff, the restaurant and bar staff and especially the entertainment folk made the trip a great experience.. A beautiful beach, fun activities happening regularly (and very informally which suited my Canadian tastes) No worries about wandering about the area as evrybody was friendly. For my first time at this sort of vacation, I well enjoyed it. Denese and Victor of the entertainment team particularly I would like to single out as people who enhanced my experience. All the best to you and thanks,

Room Tip: We had a junior suite. It was nice but not spacious. I did not see what a regular room looked like but I assume smaller. A place like this though you do not want to spend a lot of time in your room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PaulVMcE
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had a great family vacation at the Gran Ventana. The staff were all very friendly and our rooms were very clean. The beds were very hard but found our backs were much better because of this. There were always people working around the resort to keep the grounds top notch. We had 8 people in our group and no problems with our rooms, we had 3 rooms together on the 3rd floor. There are stairs to climb but we had no issues with this and felt it was good exercise. The food was very good and a good assortment of food as we could always find something good to eat. The Beach Grill had the best chicken wings! The only improvement that I would suggest would be better lighting in the bathroom or at least a makeup mirror with a light. Also it would be nice if the vendors were not so bothersome on the beach but really all in all we had a wonderful vacation. We even booked an excursion through Elvis on the beach and it was excellent we had a great time at the 7 waterfalls and it was good for all of us ranging in age from 9-42!

Room Tip: If you like action book near the pool and the 3rd floor was excellent although if you have trouble with stairs I wouldn't suggest the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie P
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Deciding we'd have a Caribbean holiday this year instead of Europe or America, after much searching we came across the Gran Ventana Beach Resort in the Dominican Republic which appeared to offer what we were looking for.
A little apprehensive as from a few of the photos the outside of the accommodation looked a little like Butlins - we needn't have been concerned as the rooms were excellent.
The hotel and grounds were as clean as any hotel I've stayed in (having stayed in quality hotels across the globe) so a big thumbs up for that Gran Ventana, showing others how it should and can be done.
The staff, regardless as to the role they had were as accommodating as could be and seemed to truly enjoy what they did so another big well done to Gran Ventanna.
Special mention on the entertainment team goes to Barbie, Blondie and Carlos Santana, all are a credit to the Gran Ventana Beach Resort and all clearly love their jobs.
The food choice was excellent in the main buffet (especially on the Wednesday) and the Italian, Beach and Octopus restaurants offered more than we expected, all provided a great choice and excellent service.
We found some of the entertainment shows excellent and some not so (accepting one can never please everyone) and being dancers we took every opportunity of dancing when the chance arose.
For us it would have been perfect if there had been another area where softer music was played so one could escape the main entertainment area when the mood suited, that said, for our stay not having this didn't spoil our holiday.

On a few days during our stay the beach (which is super clean and sandy) had a strong cross wind blowing, a little too strong though it was no problem going to the main pool area where there was no wind at all, all in all this hotel is located at a great location.

Small points:
1) there is an small area beside the pool to the left of the pool bar (pool side, photo attached) where there is a raised floor and I smashed my toes on this (thought I'd broken my toes though luckily for me not), something I am certain I am not the only person to have ever done that, this was mentioned to a member of staff who advised it'd be looked at (I'd be surprised if it has as he was rushing about doing other things).
2) It would also have been nice if at least a couple of the table tennis bats were in good condition for those that would like a proper game rather than a knockabout.
3) We thought it a little disappointing that one had to hire tennis rackets, for us this should be included in the hotel price.
4) On the main entertainment area, there are clear signs stating that this is a No Smoking area, this was more often than not ignored and certainly from what we observed never enforced, we personally had to change our seating several times to get away from those smoking.

These are small points thought points I hope others (including the Gran Ventana Beach Resort) will appreciate when reading this honest review.

Room Tip: Simple, if you want a quiet room ask for a room not facing the main pool/entertainment area.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dale D
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went with my friends and it was wonderful! Food, drinks, and service was very good. The entire entertainment team was always friendly, special thanks to Carlos Santana, Blondey, Supertino 69, Barbie, Coca-Cola, and the guy who was always on the microphone (sorry I forget the name). They made a regular beach vacation fun and entertaining. Only downside was the beach vendors but if you went at early morning or later in the day there weren't too many. If you go off the resort, obviously be careful. Other than that, I would love to go back sometime in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends