“Super Excellente”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Having just returned from Gran Ventana Beach Resort, we felt it only fair to subit our comments whilst at the same time reiterating comments of past guests who have visited the hotel and taken the time to explain how happy they were.
Now it is time, after just returning from our vacation, to praise the cleanliness and super staff who were always willing to go the extra mile to ensure a truly fantastic vacation.
Unfortunately, staff who helped us are way too numerous to give additional accolades to, but there are some who really stand out in our memory. For instance, Oscar Lorar, General Manager who made it very clear on our first evening he would do everything in his power to ensure a perfect stay. We are longtime travellers to many countries and have visited hotels in the Playa Dorada complex since the 1980's, but never have we experienced such sincere comments; plus many lovely surprises thereafter.
The Animation Team, especially Carlos Santana, never failed to forget the much older client, seemingly too shy to be the only participant in the water aerobics class, so he went to the very utmost by encouraging guests at in their volleyball game to come join in the fun and thereafter called her to join them. This person needs to be mentioned because he is the special one.
If not already mentioned the public washrooms were immaculate, decked out with fresh flowers and burning candles providing a lovely effect. Water fountains both in the lobby and restaurant were playing non-stop.
In all of our travels never have we experienced such charm and kindness and we will not hesitate to recommend this "gem" and its staff. We hope our comments will be seen by all the workers as a special "Thank You" who helped make our week memoriable.
We would like to share the stories of the special little things we encountered during the week, but it is our recommendation you go and see for yourselves and we hope like us you will not be disappointed. We, for sure, will not be waiting too long to see our friends once more.

Room Tip: We asked for a room in a quiet area on third floor close to the ocean and received exactly what we a...
9  Thank sheilita21
Write a ReviewReviews (5,668)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Resort Cleanliness and Food:
The resort is beautiful and our room was very clean, the staff is absolutely amazing. The food at the buffet is okay but the food in the three restaurants was very good. I recommend not eating any beef if you can avoid it, the chicken was always good but the beef made me sick to my stomach.

Excursions:
DO NOT GO THROUGH THE HOTEL. We made this mistake to go snorkeling (half a day), jet skiing (30 min), and parasailing (1 hour) and ended up paying more than we would have ($200 US). If you go out on the beach right behind the hotel you will be immediately bombarded with people selling all sorts of things. There are men on the beach who dress very nice and have big booklets of information on all the excursions they offer. It seems kind of sketchy at first because you're handing some random guy on the beach a stack of money but we paid for dune buggies (half a day), a hike through the jungle to natural water slide, with stops at coffee/cocoa bean farm, cigar factory, and limestone cravings (all day excursion with lunch), and a city tour with cable car ride to the top of a mountain over looking the city (little longer than half a day). None of these disappointed ($250 US). I highly recommend these, they were the Jeep safari tours, Neury was the guy who sold us all of these trips from the beach.

4  Thank Devon T
Reviewed 18 June 2014

First off, I have never written a review of any place I have visited, yet felt like this resort deserved it! I've never been treated with such excellent hospitality, delicious food, great service, and so many smiles! This all inclusive is worth a bang for your buck, you will not be disappointed. The drinks are well prepared, the food is hot and delicious, the management is organized and welcoming, and the entertainment team is amazing! I promise you, If no one is making you smile or have a good time, Carlos from entertainment will! This young gentleman truly made my stay more enjoyable. His smile and good vibes are contagious. I also highly recommend doing the jeepsafari tour while visiting, it will be the best decision you can make if you want to learn about the culture and Dominican people. Also don't miss the night time shows and live bands because they are great! All in all, I give this resort 5 stars and will definitely return! It was the best decision I could have made.

• Stayed: June 2014
9  Thank Mizzveeh
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Gran Ventana for 8 days in the beginning of June for our honeymoon. We had a wonderful experience. The staff was always very friendly and willing to help and the rooms were clean. The food was good and there was a lot of variety; however,we were disappointed with the lack of availability for sit-down restaurants. You have to make reservations for the 3 restaurants and most of the time they are already booked. The only negative about the room was that there are no dressers in the room to unpack and put your clothes in. We also wished the pool was open later than 7pm.

Thank you for making it a great vacation and we hope to be back again soon!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just got back from spending 2 weeks there and it was beyond all expectations. The beach is beautiful and the staff are AMAZING. This is a hotel where your comfort is their priority and you can feel that wherever you are in the hotel. The food is excellent and the variety can satisfy anyone. This was my first trip back to the DR in 12 years and I will be back to stay at the GV for sure. Even the other guests were top quality! Everyone was more than satisfied with everything. I highly highly recommend a visit to the GV, satisfaction and more guaranteed. Congratulations to the GM; Oscar Lora who truly gives his all to make this hotel one that you want to go back to.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Firstly I would like to say that this is my first ever review on Trip Advisor but felt it was necessary.
I would like to say to anyone reading any other review that says the hotel is 'Outdated' that there is no pleasing some people, the resort from the reception area to our room to the pool area is absolutely outstanding!

The reception area is beautiful and we were instantly made to feel welcome the staff were on hand with a glass of passion fruit juice, I am a little funny with drink and declined, he asked what would I prefer so i asked for a beer, the waiter was back almost immediately with a glass of beer for me.

Upon arriving at our room, Me and My mum, it was one queen size bed, now I love my mum but there was no way i was sharing a bed with her for 2 weeks, i went straight back to reception and they, without hesitation, changed our room in a split second. Our room was 1122 and it looked out onto the beach and the wedding gazebo, I liked this because it meant that it felt very secluded because it was located at the back of the hotel, this was just a personal preference but I spoke to other people and saw a few other rooms during our stay and all the rooms were impeccable!

The pool areas are amazing, the water is cool but with the heat and humidity it is perfect. Now i read another review, by Icv1987, saying that the other pool is on another complex, this is completely untrue, there is another building yes because the complex is set out in such a way that it needs this but the second pool is a quiet pool and is for people wanting to read or just relax in peace.

The pool/Swim up bar is good however sometimes in the middle of the day the service can be a little slow because there are people using the swim up bar and the pool bar which is the other side, sometimes a second bar tender wouldn't go amiss.

The signs for the depth of the pool around the sides are wrong but not dangerous, im 6'2" and the water at its deepest came up to my chest. That is the only small suggestion i could come up with for the pool.

The Wi-Fi, i do agree isnt the best you will ever come across but so what? Its not slow but it does require you to log in every now and again but i was to busy 'holidaying' to want to sit on the wifi all day.

The buffet restaurant is good and i read several reviews saying the food is boring and repetitive, well i disagree because we were there 2 weeks and never once went hungry, there was always a wide ranging selection of different foods, and yes there is chicken or beef or fish most nights but its always surrounded by different foods and its not just plain its in different sauces and/or cooked differently. I would urge anyone to try the food before believing a review saying it was unacceptable.
The three restaurants were all lovely, they make you book in advance because they only have certain dining times however we changed our booking one evening from 2 to 6 because we wanted to eat with some people we met there and the restaurant Maitre'D was more than happy to change things for us. My favorite restaurant was the Ocean Grill, it gets booked up very quickly because it is AMAZING, we were entitled to two visits but only managed one as it was that busy but we didnt book it straight away!! I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough, this is the same for the Italian restaurant, I went twice to the Italian during our stay and both times i had steak, now i eat steak in most restaurants i go to and i have it medium rare and both times it was cooked to perfection, it is also, without a single doubt in my mind the best steak I have EVER eaten!

The entertainment staff are some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing, they try their absolute best 100% of the time and you would never think they don't do a good job, they do go on a little in the day while trying to persuade people to join in their activities but i was usually a good sport and joined in most of the time. I would like to give a special mention to some of the entertainers that helped make our stay an enjoyable, fun experience -
Mr. Carlos Santana, Mr. Chakalaka, Victor, Blondie, Hercules and, My favorite, Barbie. They are friendly, lovable and just really down to earth, definitely the right people for their job!

The club, club 46, is off site its a 5 minute walk from the complex and its good but not really something i enjoy doing at home so i cannot review it negatively because it had good music and drinks but the drinks are not included in your all inclusive package so i preferred to get tipsy for free at the hotel bars.
The bar staff are all very good at their job too, they do need to be told a small vodka and coke, for my mum, because of how strong they make it but again, I'm not going to complain about the fact your drinks are strong.

Originally we were meant to be going to Kenya but due to the British Foreign office our trip was cancelled and we toyed with the idea of not going anywhere but we decided to go here and I am pleased to say i was amazed by just how fantastic this resort is!

I would like to finish by saying this resort was absolutely outstanding!! I cannot think of a praise high enough to give, you really must stay here if you are planning a trip to Puerto Plata, we met an older couple with their granddaughter, Eve, if you read this your a Geordie, from Sunderland or not, still a Geordie. Her grandparents had been to this hotel 11 times.

This hotel is one of the best ive ever had the pleasure of staying at, we will definitely return, getting a golden band in the process, I know the management team regularly check this website to find out what people think, If you read my review I would like to say a genuine Thank you for making our holiday incredible.

I cannot wait to return.

One Very Happy Holiday Maker

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
18  Thank Ziyanavar
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband & I stayed at The Gran Ventana June 4 - 11 and had the most amazing time! Where do I start? Check-in was quick, friendly staff. We were given a punch cocktail, fresh cold towel to freshen up and we were showed to our room 2212 which was the most beautiful room with a view of the beach as well as some of the entertainment pool. It was upgraded, beautifully decorated and surprising very comfortable bed.
Our favourite a la carte was the Italian. I had the lasagna, hubby had the sirloin and both dishes were delicious! At The Grill I had The Grouper which was alright and my husband had the surf & turf which was excellent. The buffet had plenty to choose from and everything was cooked to perfection. Loved the omelets in the morning as well as many other things to choose from like fresh fruit, sausages, bacon, croissants, cold meat & cheeses. If you want comfort food at lunch, try the Beach Snack Bar (Ocean Grill) for wings, nachos, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza. The view is gorgeous with a breeze and service was great!
The grounds, pool, lobby were kept very clean as well as the beach. The only complaint I have are the vendors on the beach. A little much but if you give them a "No Thank You", they pretty much leave you alone.
I don't want to make this too long but please feel free to ask me anything.
I have to finish off by thanking many whom made our trip so memorable.
Pablo the lobby bartender whom was always pleasant with a big smile, Supertino whom we had originally met at a different resort 4 years ago. He is crazy fun, funny & a sweetheart! Blondie from the entertainment team whom I unfortunately only connected with 2 days before I left because I am shy. She is hilarious and beautiful inside & out! Chacalaca the MC whom we had a blast at Karaoke & Bingo night, Hercules, Sexy Robert who is in charge of the entertainment. Claudio front desk was absolutely amazing, helpful and professional. Maria at the Italian and of course the Manager Oscar Lora. No words can describe what a great man he is. Take the time to talk to him & give him your input. This Man really cares :)Miss this place already :(

6  Thank Cdnangel_27