VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
US$205
US$199
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$158
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$150
  • Breakfast included
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$160
  • Breakfast included
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$119
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$141
  • Pool
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$196
US$175
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham V Heavens(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$281
US$147
US$169
US$131
  • Pool
US$190
US$175
5,874 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildinga la carte restaurantsroyal packagecarlos santanamain poolbeach vendorsocean worldswim up bardominican republicitalian restaurantparadise islandtwo weeks
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hotel was, very clean, our room was nice we were given an unexpected upgrade. Staff were helpful courteous, nothing was too much trouble. Pool was keep clean and had a swim up pool bar which we used a lot. Free wifi although a bit hit and miss is free unlike other hotels that charge.
Dislikes beach was a bit windy at times and lots of rocky coral areas but you can find areas to swim in. Entertainment I thought was ok but more aimed at the youngsters.

1  Thank Judith W
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was my first time in the Dominican so chose the Gran Ventana hotel on the Thomson shop reps recommendation. My review is from the point of view of a couple in their 50s still young at heart and fairly well travelled.

Arrival

As our flight was over 12 hours late we arrived early hours of the Monday morning only to be told by reception they had no rooms. My husband and I just sat quietly on the comfy sofas and waited whilst others ranted and raved demanding a room. I have to save at this point our Thomson rep Antonio was doing his best and got the manager out of his bed to come and sort. The issue was that after midnight the computers close down and our rooms were no longer on the system. After about an hour all was sorted and we checked in the bell boy took us to our room which had a big sash across the door saying welcome back! Anyway we were too tired to question so just went in if it was someone else's we were sure it would be sorted in the morning. So the only thing we missed due to late arrival was a welcome drink which would have been nice as we had been travelling a long time! We also had for the first 2 days a complimentary platter of fresh fruit and a bottle of brugal rum, not expected so again thank you to the management for this nice touch. (Part of our un expected upgrade I think as well as the invitation to the managers VIP cocktail evenings on Tuesdays)

Hotel

Very clean, every where you went you saw someone cleaning all the time, room was ok clean and the shower had good pressure and hot water all the time. Air con was a bit noisy but you got used to it and was very welcoming after being out in the hot sun. Our room was sea facing which was an added bonus so thank you hotel reception as we were not expecting sea view and was also quiet. This is a bonus if you want to get away for some quite time we enjoyed sitting on our balcony before going to dinner in the evening. The room was kept clean plenty of towels and mini bar replenished each day. The only day we had an issue was our second Friday the mini bar was not refreshed, we rang down twice and in the end had to go to reception. It was sorted but it did mean my husband had to go without his customary beer whilst waiting for me to get ready. lol you get free wi fi which can be a bit hit and miss but I managed to use it several times whilst I was there. Pool is lovely, well kept and cleaned each day and has a great pool bar in it we loved the pool. Bars all of them were well staffed with polite courteous staff and each would make you their own specials if you asked and always remembered what you drank.

Staff

We found all the staff we encountered very friendly and helpful, in particular Maria who works in the al a carte restaurant bookings and restaurants was brilliant. She looked after us and went out of her way to ensure we could eat in the ocean grill on a night when it was fully booked out. The entertainment team worked hard trying to keep everyone happy but most of the entertainment was aimed at the younger guests.

Entertainment
The shows at night some were really good others ok at the weekends it was just aimed at the local guests that the hotel gets flooded with. But on the whole it was ok and finished around eleven if you are young and have the energy there is a disco 5 minutes up from the hotel.

Beach

There is a good sized beach area and you can walk along without any hassle first thing in the
morning. During the day you can get hassled with the beach sellers but I found a polite no thank you and they leave you alone. It does get a bit windy on the beach which is refreshing as it was very hot when we were there but also the sand blows everywhere. The sea is lovely and there are areas you can swim without hitting rocky reefs. It is keep nice and clean we saw the cleaners out early every morning making it nice and damping down the sand.

Restaurants

The main restaurant was the usual buffet style but the food was always fresh looking and plenty of choice. A lot of the dishes were repetitive each day but there was always something new and some nights they had either turkey, pork or chicken carvary. They have 3 al a carte restaurants one Italian, one Caribbean and one seafood. We visited all 3 both weeks, me personally did not enjoy the Italian maybe just my choices.

Summary

Would I return yes maybe if I came back to this part of the Dominican as after reading several of the other neighbouring hotel reviews the Gran Ventana is a better choice all round without added costs so where at first I thought maybe one of the other hotels might have been better now I think not. The only downside is that at this time of year the locals flood the hotel on a weekend and they do take over and it would appear the hotel aim everything for their pleasing rather than longer staying guests. That said this happens I allow the hotels and you can book excursions on these days to escape! Speaking of excursions we went on the outback VIP Safari was a great day, paradise island which was a great day day too and ocean world dolphin encounter, a must if you visit.

Room Tip: If you are young or don't mind a bit of noise a pool facing room otherwise ask for a room away from the pool. If you really want peace and quiet then ask to go in the area by the quiet pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Judith W
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I went to Puerto Plata with my elderly grandma and we both loved it. She actually goes exclusively to this resort 3-4 times a year. The service is great and the staff is very friendly. They took care of her and gave us both great service. The food was okay, a little on the salty side for my taste, but the wait staff is fantastic. My favorite part was the entertainment at night - it was a great way to enjoy the warm evenings and meet the other guests. The entertainment team is great, sometimes a little too much during the day, when most people just want to lay out in the sun and relax, but I understand that it's their job to get people up and moving. Carlos and Barbie were excellent entertainers and both great dance instructors. I just wish there were more nights with the live band and dancing!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cocobala
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I booked our trip to Gran Ventana, from Sunday, June 22nd to Thursday, June 26th, for our 10th anniversary. Having two little girls under the age of 6, I was a nervous wreck about what we were going to find in our first all inclusive so far away from home. From the moment we entered the lobby, we were greeted by so many friendly, welcoming and helpful faces. We were taken to our room and, there on the door, was a "Happy Anniversary" sign and once in our room, a towel decoration in the shape of a heart with some of the beautiful local flowers all around it. What a way to begin and our trip just got better and more relaxing from there! We ate at the buffet every morning for breakfast (the smoothies are a MUST), enjoyed a beach side lunch at the Ocean Grill everydayb(the fish of the day with a little bit of the kale, carrot and cabbage salad was delicious) and we ate at all but one of the specialty restaurants (The Ocean Grill's quesadilla app and both the grouper and surf n turf entrees were excellent). The food was great and the resort did not shy away from offering so many different choices to make even the pickiest of eaters happy. The drinks for us were just enough...from the Presidente to the red wine to the Banana Mamba, Luis at the pool bar took care of us all afternoon and night! We truly enjoyed the various entertainment they had and the entertainment staff and the "shows" can be compared to those we've seen on cruises. One of our biggest highlights was getting our 10th anniversary pictures taken by the Foto Memories photographer, Iris. Her work is BEAUTIFUL and she captured us, in the Dominican Republic, free of worries and filled with nothing but happiness, perfectly. Her work is worth a heck of a lot more than what she charges and I will forever think of her and her infectious laugh and genuine smile when I look at our pictures. From the staff to the cleanliness of the resort to the beautiful, natural beach umbrellas and lounge chairs to the "right in your backyard" snorkeling off the shore, my husband and I could not have asked for a better place to relax, unwind, reconnect and just enjoy. This is such a little gem filled with so much Dominican character and charm. THANK YOU Gran Ventana! We are looking forward to coming back to celebrate our 15th with you and next time we are bringing our girls!

2  Thank daisygirl27
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks in June! Most amazing time!

Greeted upon arrival with a lush drink and was taken to our room by a bell boy!

The hotel was fab, and very clean!! The staff were great, very polite and helpful! If there were any issues they would sort it ASAP! I needed more hangers for the wardrobe and they sorted it within minutes!! The rooms were cleaned daily and very clean! The maids were brilliant and if you ever needed anymore towels or anything at all they would sort this straight away for you!

Food was great and the a la cartes were delicious! I would recommend you go to these!

The location was brilliant!! Right on the beach, and not far from excursions! I went to ocean world and swam with dolphins..
Would 100% recommend this!!

There is also a disco about a 5 minute walk if that from the hotel.. So if you're young and fancy a few drinks and a dance this is great to visit!

The Entertainment was brilliant, always so much fun and the entertainment team always tried there hardest and got everyone up to participant and dance! The entertainment was different each night which was good and which meant it didn't get boring!

Carlos, barbie, Blondie, tino and victor.. Some of the entertainers! Absolutely brilliant.. Made our holiday even better! Friendly, kind and would always encourage you to take part in activities which were always a laugh!

Me and my friend are returning this year and we can't wait!

Ignore the bad reviews .. People are clearly too snobby! It was a brilliant hotel, brilliant food, brilliant staff, brilliant entertainment, perfect location and the atmosphere was superb!! Everyone is so friendly!

Can't wait to return!!