“I recommanded this place! :)”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“I recommanded this place! :)”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The food was better than other place i've been! The entertainment talked to everybody and are very respectful. The employees were so helpful with my friend who's been to the hospital. All of them spoken english and some french too. We're not so far of puerto plata city. Sure, they are dominican going to the hotel for the week-end, but they are very friendly. And they're so much to tell!

I'm just loving this resort!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Nevergive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my second trip to the VH Gran Ventana. I was part of a mission trip for 2 years in a row now and we liked the VH the first time as it suited our needs and so we returned a second time knowing what to expect and liking the flexibility they gave us. The first year we brought 17 people with us and the second 58! I have to admit that if you need to book a group the VH does not do well with large numbers. They offer no special discount and they do not try to accommodate your whole group in a dinner but that is solely the group coordinator`s fault for the VH. She was nice but not very helpful to our group. She gave me a ticket for a buffet night with my group which said reservation for 58 and when we got there that night the Buffet crew looked at us and laughed because they knew nothing about it. Disappointed on that for sure. We all paid almost 1000.00 each to go to VH and I brought her 57 people with me and still she was hard to work with. Other than that this hotel is clean, staff is very friendly and pool and beach are both gorgeous and well maintained. I do agree that there is an issue with entertainment as there is nothing to do after the show and the shows are less than impressive. There is a near by casino and a club but not much else. The club does not get busy until after 12:30am. My group of missionaries came to build houses for the poor and we would leave the resort early every morning. The hotel was wonderful to us in allowing us to take our lunches out with us everyday. (Most hotels do not do this). We are very grateful they were accommodating in that way. Overall I would bring more groups back however because there is a large gap between the age groups of our missionaries 14-75 I would hope that the hotel works on entertainment. Allot of us would just go to bed early because there was not much to do. Shopping for souvenirs is expensive as everything is overpriced and in American Dollars. You can haggle down but you need to be willing to work at it for a while. There is a mall just down the street and the variety of souvenirs is great, lots of choice for those hard to but for people. The rooms have wonderful ac units but you need to always place a key card in the slot or it wont run. The charge for the use of the safe in the room is fair for the week. Its 16 US for the week and reliable. I would return with missionaries or friends and family as the site is overall stunning and well maintained. For the price you pay it is worth the stay. :) Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise. Ground floor rooms are hard to sleep in at night especially next to t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank GREENQUEEN08
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

All in all a good resort just tired.

Staff:
We found all the staff from the cleaners to the management very friendly and helpful, well done, very good customer service. Don’t let this slip it is a credit to the hotel.

Rooms:
We had 3 rooms during our stay, the first was room 2158 this room was awful very dated shower did not work properly, complained to Keiron on reception go moved strait away to room 2348 lovely room looked as if it had recently been upgraded. Our third room was an upgrade as we had stayed at the Gran Ventana 17 years earlier. This was room 1120 ground floor overlooking the beach,

All the rooms we stayed in and I guess others had 2 things in common:
1) The patio doors did not secure properly and anyone who really wanted to get in, could do so very easily.
2) The front door never closed properly and had to be slammed so it would stay closed. Not good when leaving your room at 07:00 to go on a trip, apologies to anyone near us who was rudely awoken by us leaving our room.

These areas need to be sorted sooner rather than later

Food:
We found the food in the buffet restaurant to be of a good standard plenty of choice hot and tasty and varied. Yes they do reuse food but that’s business if they threw away all the chicken, beef, pork from the previous days instead of making it to something else they would slowly go out of business, as long as it is re-cooked correctly it is safe.

There are 3 a’la carte restaurants on site:
1) Ocean Grill, serving a mixture of sea food and steak very good quality well worth a visit
2) Octopus restaurant, Serving chicken, steak and others again good quality
3) Italian, Others may have found this restaurant good we did not like it no atmosphere food not the best for us. Only went once.

Pool:
3 pools on site, main pool with swim up bar, plus children’s pool and quite pool next to Italian restaurant. Did not go to the quite pool so can’t comment.

There are plenty of sun beds, just not enough umbrellas to protect you from the mid day sun.

Beach:
Loved the beach, sea was beautiful, very warm and very good for snorkelling take some bread or banana with you, you will be surrounded by the most beautiful fish.

The beach did get very windy around 14:00 but that’s not the hotels fault

The beach vendors are everywhere, a polite no and they just walked off never had a problem.

We met a lot of lovely people during our stay Canadians, Americans, Ex Dominicans on holiday form the USA and other Europeans never had a problem with anyone. And made some good friends who we will keep in contact with.

But as soon as the locals descend on Friday afternoon watch out, absolute bloody night mare. The worst time for us and a family we made close friends with happened on Friday 15th Aug. The locals descended and strait away 5 local young men started eyeing up out our children’s electrical items. We felt so uncomfortable we left the pool area to go to our room only to be followed by 3 of these young men. We noticed them and took a detour as not to show our room location and they still followed us. We left the block to go to reception to complain and they stood guard at both the entrances waiting for us to return. We complained to Keiron on reception, and Keiron and another manager came out to the pool area to see, as soon as they arrived the young men moved. Not a good experience

Tips: Try to book the A’la carte’s Fri sat night as to miss the locals ad boo any trips Sat Sun day again to miss the locals

4 Thank Ianfuss
Harrisburg, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I just got home from this resort. My family of 4 (from the US) and my family of 3 (from the UK) spent 2 weeks in what we thought would be paradise. IT was the exact opposite. The best way to describe it is in a list of stuff that was terrible:
1- The weekends are SWARMED with locals. NO room for guests, no pool space, kids running and screaming all over the place. Towels will be taken off of your chair (see #9)
2- Service of EVERYkind is inconsistent.
3- The restrooms outside are disgusting
4- The food is absolutely the worst I have ever had in my life...EVER (3 of us got sick twice)
5-The "mini-bar" is not that at all..you get 2 local beers, 1 Pepsi, 1 7-UP, a gallon jug of water with a broken seal(that is refilled daily)
6- None of the electricity in the rooms work (including the fridge) if 1 of the 2 room keys you are given is not placed in the electricity box..This means warm beer, water and sodas.
7-Rooms are generally gross (we occupied 3 of them)
8- Rooms are cleaned sometime in the am but towels aren't given out until after 4 (not convenient at all)
9- You get 1 "towel card" per guest. if you loose it they charge you $20. Watch your towels folks, the locals love them.
10- The room safe is about as big as a toaster
11-The entertainment is ok but the entertainers are silly and bum drinks off of the guests any chance they get. Shows are juvenile
12-The local "night club" Club 46 is a hangout for teenagers , drug dealers and prostitutes (They will be glad to serve your teenager anything he/she desires)
13-When you have a complaint (and trust me you will) you will get a smile and a promise to fix whatever it is...But they actually have no clue what you are asking for and you may or may not ever get your problem fixed.
14-When you get sick of the rubbing alcohol watered down with flavored syrup you can get your own stock from the local "mall" for about 5x what you pay in the US for it. (we bought a bottle of Berringer White Zin in the resorts "5-star" restaurant Octopus and GLADLY paid the $25 price tag just to have a drinkable glass of wine..the house reds and whites were being refilled out of a gasoline container thing...ew
15-Please do not require Wi-Fi of any kind...You wont get it...ever.
16- If you get to the beach please do not prepare to relax...The local peddlers will hound you every 3-5 minutes to "looky looky" at their wares...and come back 5 times to check to make sure you really do not want what they are selling.
17-The phones in the rooms may not work to call room to room...Totally inconvenient.
18-There are no elevators in the resort so if you, like me, are on the 3rd floor...there are 32 steps you must hike in the 100 degree humid weather to get to your room...fun fun fun..

Clearly I do not recommend this resort to anyone...Book at your own misery!!!

Family in NC, USA

7 Thank Michelle P
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
We are very sorry to read your disappointment with so many areas of our resort. It is unfortunate that the various criticisms have only been conveyed through this forum and not once to any of our Management Team while you were resident of our family friendly resort. It is extremely important to make the Hotel Management aware of any possible deficiencies that may arise during our valued guests stay so that we can take proper measures to correct them right away whilst making an impact on their satisfaction and their overall stay. We hope this experience will not deter you from returning to the Dominican Republic.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

stayed at this resort back in May, when we arrived we were greeted with drinks and smiles. one issue I had was the beach, unless you want to get bothered every 3mins by locals selling tricks or offering back rubs and excursions. most of my stay I stayed at the pool.
when getting drinks always ask for extra alcohol because they don't mix too much alcohol. the food was great, buffet style from local ,Chinese, Italian, American dishes to choose from and if you want that special dinner feel you can make reservations at the restaurants. All in all it was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica W
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We are still in the hotel and we have been here for almost two weeks. The hotel is small, clean, well maintained and the staff is nice and welcoming. However even though I deeply respect the fact that local tourist also have to come on vacation and that this is their country and they should enjoy it too, on weekends they are a bit too much. Loud, rude, have no manners and the staff look through the fingers when it comes to the rules. But one weekend we booked all ala carte restaurants ( even though we did not care much for them as the service was slow and the food luke warm, so we did not come back the following week).
The beach is extremely windy to the point of being uncomfortable. In the afternoon we settled by the quiet pool.
The buffet is good, not a lot of selection like we have seen in other resorts, but everything was good and the variety is there so you do not have to eat the same thing every day ( even for gluten free tourist like myself).
All in all, the weather was great and we had a rekaxing time here but we are probably not coming back to Puerto Plata. Actually we never go to same hotels twice, so it goes without saying that we will not be back to this hotel.

3 Thank lovesbeach67
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

To start with the trip from Santiago airport to the resort is 2.5 hours away. The roads are unfinished in spots which makes for a bumpy ride and makes you feel sick. As I found out on the way out of the country the trip we took in was a back roads way due to some "accidents" along Route 5 and Route 1. If you take the major roads it does take less time and the ride is smoother.

When you arrive, finally, at the resort the bellboys are not very welcoming but do take your bags and will bring them up to your room. As for explaining anything in your room that is not going to occur. I should state that I was traveling with my wife and 6 year old son. Both my wife and I are seasoned travelers throughout the Carribean and Europe. We got settled into the room which was basic non-descript decorating but, we don't intend to spend much time in the room so that is fine.
We leave the room and my son wants to hit the pool so we trade our towel cards in for beach towels and off to the pool we go. The water is warm as somewhat expected but even when we were in Jamaica last year the water was cooler than this pool was. The water was very chlorinated (kids perhaps) and seems like stuff was floating in it all day. On our last day I did see someone vacuuming the pool but I never saw a skimmer. Done with our swim we decided to get a drink. I usually stay away from the beer in taps as you never know how often the lines are cleaned. I tried to order Southern Comfort with a shot of lime but, to my surprise there was NO top shelf liquor to be found. The top shelf consisted of one brand of scotch, vodka, tequila which you had to pay extra for, bad start... I will say that in other resorts I have stayed top shelf liquor is included.
We did have to lock up our passports and valuables so I went to the desk and paid the $13 for the lock cylinder and key. When I got back to my room there was a lock in the safe but no key. Back to the desk to hopefully have someone come with a master key, nope. They have to drill the lock out. So maintenance was sent to the room and one security guard. My job revolves around maintenance so I know what it takes to drill a lock out with the proper tools. The Gran Ventana staff were equipped with a drill and some type of screwdriver. During their attempt to drill the lock out I noticed that the gentlemen handling the drill had it in reverse. I pointed this out to another member of the crack maintenance staff and he informed the other to the correct rotation of the drill. The destroying of the lock continued to a point where I suggested that they use a hammer. I then asked if they had a hammer? The reply was they do, but not here, huh? Perhaps there is only one hammer on the island and it wasn't their day to have it? Nevertheless the lock was extracted and I made sure that the new lock cylinder they gave me to put in would operate and be removed. I again asked the maintenance crew if there was a vacuum to be had to pick up the small metal shards created by the drilling I didn't want my son to accidentally get a metal splinter in his hands or body. I think it wasn't their day for the vacuum either. They used a broom minus the handle to sweep up the larger pieces of metal. It was up to myself and whatever toilet paper I could find to clean up the rest.
My wife and I are always of the opinion to tip the staff wherever we are. I did tip the maintenance crew for their effort. I had to try and break some larger bills that we had so we went to Reception Desk to see if they could help us. I was informed that they couldn't break a $20 for me. The Receptionist directed me to the excursion desk who also couldn't help me. I was finally directed to the bellboy who was able to help me albeit with some attitude. So that was the day one highlights.

Pros :
Kids Club was excellent with Kaco and Lucy. They took care of our son on a few days and he enjoyed it a lot and made friends to play with.
Quiet pool was nice to relax at and not be harassed all day by beach vendors.
The Italian restaurant and the Carribean restaurant were both good, although the portions were small.
If you don't like top shelf or like tap beer it flows steadily for you.
The salads at the buffet were good as well as the morning smoothie station.
Professional photographer was good.
I recommend the Extreme day trip which includes the waterfalls, horseback riding and zip line we all went including my son and it was a blast!

Cons:
Bellboys are the face of the resort and they always have an attitude or are looking over the girls at the pool. I guess I should feel happy that they took my bags to the room. BTW we took our own bags back down to checkout.
Food was basic fare even the specialty dishes were unimpressive.
I have stated the lack of top shelf liquor was a major disappointment. When I did find something to drink (Extra veajo) when I asked about spiced rum they didn't have Ginger Ale to go with it only 7-up.
Security in the room. Besides the drilling out of the cylinder, when I returned the cylinder and key I expected to get some if not all my money returned to me. This was not the case. I paid them to borrow a cylinder and key and returned it without any deposit being refunded to me. When I tried to explain this procedure to the person at reception he couldn't even follow my logic.
Trying to find small bills was nearly impossible.
The entertainment was less than stellar including Karaoke twice in the week, really?

I don't ever see us returning back to the Gran Ventana and my experience was not a vacation, but more an exercise in frustration. I long for our Jamaica vacation of last year...