We went to this resort in January 2009 with Air Canada Vacations (from Ottawa with Transfer in Toronto), $595/person + taxes and fees (about 900$ all included). Last minute deal (bought 6 days before leaving). Service on the plane was good. Note that Air Canada don’t give out free earphones anymore so you should bring your own or you will have to pay $2 for a pair on board.
Check-in/Check-out: We got to the resort late at night (10:30pm). The check-in went smoothly. We also immediately bought a lock for a safe in our room for 18$US for the week. (well worth it). Our suitcases were brought to our room in a matter of minutes and our room was clean and cool. The check-out went smoothly as well. The Transfers were good too.
Room : We had a room the first level, near the quiet pool. Our only complaint is that a few nights, we heard some drunks talking/yelling from the sitting area in the middle of the night. Out neighbor eventually came out and yelled at them to shut up. After a brief argument, they left and we were all able to go back to sleep. Other than that, our room was kept clean every day, fridge was re-stocked every day.
Pools : There are two pools. One “quiet pool” and one main pool with a swim-up bar. We have not used the quiet pool but the other pool is a good size and has a volleyball net and we were always able to find a lunging chair.
Beach : It’s pretty clean and has enough chairs and some shade available as well. The vendors are all licensed and are pleasant. If you don’t look at them, say “no thanks” or look away, they usually don’t bother you. The beach is surrounded with other hotels and you can walk many km down and up the beach. Snorkeling equipment,
Entertainment Crew : They made the effort to make all sorts of tournaments and tried to get people to play. We’ve participated to many of them. Also, when it rained the tried their hardest to come up with activities (bingo, karaokes, ping pong, etc.). The night shows are not the greatest and the entertainment crew is very repetitive (same songs, same dances and games every night before and after the main show) but it was still somewhat entertaining. My only real concern is that there wasn’t any “disco” at night and everything pretty much went dead as of 10pm.
Restaurants : The restaurants were all AMAZING – especially the Grill. The service is really good as well. The buffet has a lot of variety and it really caters to every tastes. It also varies from one day to another (sushies available 2 nights out of 7 when we were there, Caribbean appetizers one night, different types of grilled meat on different days etc). My only concern with food at this resort is that it is not available at all time. The hours are specific and I have gone hungry a few times… (Breakfast is 8-10:30, lunch is 12-3 and dinner is 6-9:30). In the evening, they have snacks (hot dogs and sandwiches)… which help but the cart closes pretty early (12am) and was very hungry when coming back from the outside bars.
Bars/Drinks : The drinks were good, except for the mojitos. They make it with syrup and it’s gross. The service was always very friendly. The only problem is that the bars close at 11h55 and even if had started making your drinks at that time, they won’t finish them. Being young, we really would have liked to drink longer on certain nights… We went off-resort and kept the party going at local clubs…
Location : Great location. At less than five minutes of walking, you have two bars/clubs/pubs and a small mall with a cinema, a Pizza Hut and many boutiques. You can walk a little further to the Casino and a golf court.
Overall, we were given exactly what we paid for and although this resort is not as spectacular as the 5-star in Mexico I had previously been to, it was definitely a nice, clean and friendly resort at a great price. I would definitely recommend it.
- High-speed Internet is cheap and very accessible. It costs $3US for 30 minutes and it can be spent all at once or on different occasions. There are only 4 computers so you might have to wait a little bit but I never had to wait over 10 minutes.
- Bring your own alarm clock. There aren’t any in the rooms – we had to buy a really cheap one for $8US.
- There’s a Casio at less than 2km away. Free shuttles available to go – but not come back. Half the staff at the casino doesn’t speak English so be ready.
- Although we didn’t get the chance to take a day-trip (rained the last 3 days of our trip which is when we wanted to take them) we made friends on the resort that had been earlier that week. Although the Air Canada Agent wasn’t recommending it, It’s safe to buy the trips from the registered vendors on the beach, the travel people near the towel counter as well as from the people in the Mall. You will save a lot of money (trips that were $90US with Air Canada are $35US with them!)
- You must make reservations for the Tennis Court. It’s in good condition. The gym is very small but I was able to get a few great workouts!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic
- VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata